Flight Mode…!!

Home Forum Chat Forum Flight Mode…!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)
  • Flight Mode…!!
  • Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

So BA have confirmed you can now use phones and tablets on planes, but they MUST be in “Flight mode”.

What happens to the plane if someone forgets to switch on Flight Mode, which is a very easy thing to do…? 😯

There must be a safety margin surely?

There must be a safety margin surely?

Yes. The fact that an active mobile phone has never been shown to effect instruments yet? Wasn’t there some documentary a few years ago showing the flight crew using their’s on the flight deck?*

As I understand it, back in the days of analogue phones, if used one at altitude it blocked a lot of traffic by locking onto multiple cells and that was initially why their use was prohibited.

*I am not an aeronautical or electronics engineer and have absolutely no technical knowledge or qualification to base this statement on apart from observational and anecdotal evidence. 🙂

I just dont get it and i fly a lot, I never switch my phone off and not crashed yet! Also some emirates flights now allow you to make calls and use Wifi. If it really was a danger surely they’d confiscate phones at security ‘just in case’.

Premier Icon geoffj
    Subscriber

Thin end of the wedge. I’d love to be sitting next to Angie, Sales Manager from Newcastle, as she makes a dozen customer calls from seat 1B 😕

Angie, Sales Manager from Newcastle

Is she fit? 🙂

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

what geoffj said – they need to ban voice calling or else we’d have riots

(mind, is she fit ?)

globalti

I’ve already been there! A few years ago when mobiles were becoming more common I had the pleasure of sitting next to some bint from an advertising agency on the train from Manchester to Euston. For the entire time of the journey she ‘phoned every one of her clients, starting every conversation with “Hello, I’m on the train….”

Since I heard every word of every converstion it soon becamse evident that she was ringing everybody to boast about her new phone, not to talk about business.

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

Also some emirates flights

etihad as well.

peterfile

Despite Emirates claiming on 4 different flights I had with them last month that I could use my mobile, it didn’t work 🙂

Premier Icon notmyrealname
    Subscriber

I’m no expert but I’m pretty sure that a £500 iPhone isn’t going to interfere with the state of the art electronics on a £200 million aircraft, at least not enough to cause any problems!

I flew back from Moscow with BA once with my phone in my carry on, in the luggage bin, had forgotten to turn it off.

No one died.

Premier Icon leeph
    Subscriber

I fly a fair bit, accidentally left my phone on loads of times…..only reminded whilst coming into land when the phones beeps to inform me of voicemails.

BA seem to have relaxed the use of mobiles also, once you’ve landed you can now use the phones whilst taxing to the parking slot.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Phones are banned on planes, in hospitals, garage forecourts, for a variety of claimed reasons. I’ve a suspicion that in all of these cases the restrictions are either to stop you being antisocial (no-one wants to hear you bellowing down a phone in a hospital ward) or to make you pay attention (phone in one hand, pump handle pissing petrol all over the floor in the other).

I’m not unconvinced this is a bad thing.

If it really was a danger surely they’d confiscate phones at security ‘just in case’.

Exactly.

Mobile communications Do effect planes systems, not enough to cause a malfunction but enough to distract pilots at crucial points of trying to fly them. Namely take off and landing, an incident occuring that could be serious to the safety of the craft then the pilot being distracted could make for a crash, it hasnt yet or has it ?

theflatboy

Can you give more detail / source, Dr? Sounds interesting…

clubber

Do effect planes systems

affect. Sorry, had to be done 🙂

It’s not true according to this (so it must be FACT!)
    http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/mythbusters-database/cell-phones-interfere-plane-instruments.htm

andyl

To sum it all up:

1. They ask you to turn your phone off when you are on a chunk of metal flying at 600mph held up by aerodynamics in a turbulent atmosphere that is designed, built and maintained by humans as there is a slim chance of affecting something. One or two phones searching for signal may not do anything, 300 just might.

2. when you are at 35,000 feet over the Atlantic there is no way you are getting a signal anyway.

3. no one wants to listen to you on the phone or your text message/twatter/facebook alert going off every 20 seconds

4. you can live without your phone for a few hours. Take a book and enjoy some time without it.

5. It’s their plane and everyone elses lives so just do as they ask for a few hours.

zokes

Mobile communications Do effect planes systems

Well, provided they effect them effectively, then that’s fine, but I’m not sure how you effect a plane. I’d be worried if the affected them, but as someone earlier said, that probably stems from the earliest analogue types, and not modern GSM/3G.

EDIT: Goddammit – 24 seconds!!!!

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

The mobile phone restrictions in hospitals are pretty much entirely due to privacy and antisocial behaviour, as Cougar says. Playing around with phone cameras on wards is just not on – how long till the first selfie with crash team arriving in the background?

It’s dressed up with a safety message because Joe Public would ignore the restrictions otherwise.

zokes

The mobile phone restrictions in hospitals are pretty much entirely due to privacy and antisocial behaviour, as Cougar says. Playing around with phone cameras on wards is just not on – how long till the first selfie with crash team arriving in the background?

Really? Why were they in place before phones had cameras in them?

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Phones are banned on planes, in hospitals,

Last time I was in hospital (A&E), they were fine with me using mine throughout, even in the cubicle thingummy.

Surely you’ve always been able to use flight safe mode on aircraft, that’s the whole point. Or do you mean you can still use it during take off/landing? I flew with BA yesterday and we were told as always that flight safe mode had to be enabled, then the device switched off until after takeoff.

They did say we were fine to use phones whilst taxiing back to the terminal though, which was a new one.

clubber

Hmm this suggests that maybe there is some reason behind the ban (it is an old article but I expect that the same planes are still flying)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/place-lancashire/plain/A6821318

fasthaggis

Thanks andyl ,you posted most of what I was thinking 🙂

12fifty

Christ, just enjoy some phone free time.

Turn the phone off read a book

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

Yeah.. but all my books are on my phone…

Christ, just enjoy some phone free time.

Indeed. I prefer to shut down, have a nice glass of something and read/watch a film, or, more importantly, sleep.

jambourgie

One thing that really boils my p*ss is asshats bellowing down their phones on the quiet carriage of a train. I usually say something, and to be fair, most people are just in their own bubble and not realised that it’s a quiet carriage.

Premier Icon boriselbrus
    Subscriber

So they take a pair of nail clippers off you at security, but allow you to keep your phone and just trust that you remember to turn it off even though it could bring the plane down? Seems unlikely…

However, why do they make me turn off my kindle for take off and landing? You can’t actually turn off a Kindle anyway…

peterfile

Indeed. I prefer to shut down, have a nice glass of something and read/watch a film, or, more importantly, sleep.

I managed to spend a worrying amount of time phoning other passengers from my seat on a recent long haul flight. My friend and I were a wee bit worse for wear and started calling people close enough that we could see their movie interrupted and the words “Incoming call from Seat 29C” flash up.

Most people were mightily confused and we’d pretend to be asleep when they turned round to work out what was going on, adding to the confusion. I was in pain trying to keep a straight face.

The last call we made was to a pretty Australian girl whose seat number my friend had noted on the way back from the toilet. We had a nice chat before she decided to come over and join us 🙂

*My name is peterfile, i’m 32 years old and still behave like a child when i’m bored and have had a few drinks*

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

*My name is peterfile, i’m 32 years old and still behave like a child when i’ve had a few drinks*

I hope the phone system is clear, I hate to think how she could have interpreted that statement with a bit of static mixed in…

😆 indeed!

Most recent flying faux pas was shortly after take off on a 10hr flight. Lunch was served. Smoked salmon starter. I squeezed my lemon (ahem!) over it, sending a massive glob of citric acidic goodness straight in to the eye of the chap sitting opposite. His eye flared up horribly, apparently. I couldn’t tell, as I put the dividing blind up pretty sharpish after the squirt!

pomona

Mobile communications Do effect planes systems, not enough to cause a malfunction but enough to distract pilots at crucial points of trying to fly them. Namely take off and landing, an incident occuring that could be serious to the safety of the craft then the pilot being distracted could make for a crash, it hasnt yet or has it ?

Taken on my phone which didn’t seem to cause too much distraction

jon1973

Well, provided they effect them effectively, then that’s fine, but I’m not sure how you effect a plane. I’d be worried if the affected them, but as someone earlier said, that probably stems from the earliest analogue types, and not modern GSM/3G.

EDIT: Goddammit – 24 seconds!!!!

Don’t worry, you were late with your pedant, but you win the prize for the most patronizing and condescending delivery.

Premier Icon Nobby
    Subscriber

Virgin have their own network on their planes nowadays & you can happily connect to it & make/receive calls without any issues. TBH, it had a better signal & clearer line than the standard O2 at home.

They do, however, switch it off for take-off & landing (and ask you to do the same with phones) so there may be something in what DR posted up there ^^^

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

Take a book and enjoy some time without it.

90% of my books are on my phone and I’m not allowed to read that even in flight mode at several parts of the journey (and no, I’m not complaining about having to concentrate on the safety demo)

I’d prefer if flight mode was allowed for any part of the journey except the safety bit, I’m quite happy with no-one being allowed to make calls/twatter/facebook.

I, for one, am dreading the day when I hear* some jumped up asshat in seat 62B yelling, “HELLO! IT’S ME! I’M ON THE PLANE! NO, I SAID PLANE! YES, I’M ON THE PLANE!”

*Noise cancelling headphones are a wonderful thing.

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

I’ve a suspicion that in all of these cases the restrictions are either to stop you being antisocial (no-one wants to hear you bellowing down a phone in a hospital ward) or to make you pay attention (phone in one hand, pump handle pissing petrol all over the floor in the other).

I’m not unconvinced this is a bad thing.

I’d be tempted to agree. I had a spell in hospital recently and there were notices about phone use there – not in relation to any interference with equipment but about respecting the peace and privacy of others who are trapped in your company. Theres no quiet coach on a plane.

There’ll maybe also be a legacy interference issue in the rules in that old analogue phones were a nightmare but they didn’t fall out of use overnight, so as their use declines whens the point where you say ‘ok todays the day we scrap that rule’ and on planes there might be issues with travelling through different regions with different networks. That brrrp dt dt brrrrp dt dt brrrrp in your cars speakers that your phone used to cause doesn’t happen anymore in the UK, but its still happens the the same phone when I’m driving in Ireland. So something about the network seems to be different there.

Theres no quiet coach on a plane

I beg to differ!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Flight Mode…!!’ is closed to new replies.