• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by tf.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 160 rotors to 185?
  • Matinmidiswa
    Free Member

Hi there,

Is it advisable (or not) to upgrade disc rotors from 160 to 185 (or similar) for some extra stopping power?

Cheers
    M.

spooky_b329

yes, as long as you sort out the calipers as well. You’ll probably need adaptors to space them out from the fork/frame otherwise the disc won’t fit!

markenduro
    Free Member

If you’re going to the trouble of upgrading go the whole hog and get 203mm rotors, absolutely awesome stopping power

steve_b77
    Free Member

Check what your fork will take first

Matinmidiswa
    Free Member

Cheers,
    Was concerned that they might put strain beyond the design on the headset etc..
    Are larger discs thicker too?

M.

tails
    Free Member

no they should be same thickness providing you stick to the same brand. If your going to run say hope rotors with avid brakes there is an article on mtbr which tells you all the possible combos

mk1fan
    Free Member

As long as you don’t exceed the maximum rotor size of the frame or fork, then all you need to do is match the rotor size with the mount size.

ozzybmx
    Free Member

whats your fork ?
    whats your brakes ?
    whatsd your riding style ?
    whats your weight ?

sootyandjim
    Free Member

In my ever so humble experience whilst large rotors on the front can have a benefit larger rotors on the back are pretty pointless as all you do is add weight and rip up the trails with little additional benefit to braking.

I don’t have a rotor over 185mm on any of my bikes, including my DH bike.

hugorune

how heavy are you?

If you’re 10 stone don’t bother, if you’re 18 stone definately.

A mate of mine has 160mm rotors front and rear on all his bikes and it doesn’t seem to bother him at 15 stone – I on the other hand have a 203mm rotor on the front because I like being able to stop (and I’m 16 stone). Also depends on your brakes.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i’ve got 185s on front and rear and they are quite simply awesome in their one-fingered, anchor-like stopping power. great stuff. 🙂

(and i weigh 12.5 stone…)

tf
    Free Member

It’s not so much about the stopping power, you can probably lock your wheels with 160mm rotors, which is all the stopping power the bike can take. Bigger rotors give you three things: less effort to apply the braking force, better heat dissipation and less modulation. The former two are beneficial, the latter is not, and you need to choose a rotor size based on the riding you do — if your hands are often sore from braking, or you get smoke coming from your brakes, get bigger rotors 🙂 (providing your fork can taket them)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘160 rotors to 185?’ is closed to new replies.