• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 16" Sanderson Life / Breath
  • bertberr
    Free Member

Anybody on here own one of these or ever tried one? If so, how tall are you, and was it about right size wise? Been looking into them but there's not a lot of info on their website, though they do seem to have a short headtube (95mm) and a long top tube (23").
    Doesn't even say what fork is best geometry wise… suppose I should take this as an example of how professional a company they are 😕 but… I do like the look of them.

Leku
    Free Member

I was looking at them too.

Designed for 100mm but will take a 120mm fork.

Preferred the old grey Life.

steelrider
    Free Member

I'm 5'8" and I've got a 16" Breath in British racing green, I'm currently running forks at 120mm.

Don't be put of by the lack of info, it's a cracking frame.

Sonor
    Free Member

I've got a 16" breath frame in blue, I'm 5'6". I haven't really noticed the long top tube when riding even though it's an inch and a half longer than my other hardtail. Currently got a 90mm stem and 120mm forks on it.

I've commented to them about lack of info, but they always answered my email queries quickly. Great frame.

Image with 100mm forks on it:

bertberr
    Free Member

Looks really nice in that blue…though I do like the BRG too. Very tempted with one, but could just do with a) seeing one (unlikely) or b) hearing a few more first hand accounts from people.

Either 100 or 120mm forks ok then by the sounds of it, really just sizing I need to nail down.

I'm 5'9" on a good day, a little less first thing in the morning… do you think a 16 or 18 would be best?

Steelrider – any chance you could post a pic of yours showing how much post is showing? cheers

steelrider
    Free Member

I've only got an old one from when I was running forks @100mm

willej

I've got a 16" green Breath. I'm 5'10", with a 33" inside leg. Mine's fitted with Pikes set between 100 and 120mm, depending on my mood, and a 70mm stem.
    It's a cracking frame, don't be put off by the lack of info on the website. I'd say definitely go for the 16" rather than the 18". I love the new blue colour too.
    I know someone with a Life, and they love it, but I'm not sure I'd pay the extra for the "853 magic".

Mine resting:

turboferret

I've got an 18" life running a 100mm lefty. I'm 5'10", and have about 24cm of seatpost exposed. Not a huge amount of stand-over I must admit, but the bike feels right for me. I'd have more seatpost out than I'd feel comfortable with if I were on a 16" I'd think.

I'm probably slightly longer of leg and shorter of body than typical, but not a freak 🙂

Rubbish backwards webcam photo

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Rich

bertberr
    Free Member

Thanks for all the pics, they all look good, thought I'd decided on the 16" having looked at the first few with corresponding heights… but then turbo posts his 18" with a fair amount of post showing and he's only an inch taller than me…!!!

Hmmm…

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

I've got an 18" Life – I'm 5'9" and it fits me really well.

I've run it with both 100 and 120mm forks and in my opinion the 100s are better.

It's a great bike – rides like a dream. I've had it a couple of years now and have used it for everything from 12 hour solo to quick blasts to the shop to touring round Cuba.Very comfortable and capable. The frames really well finished. Not too struck on the new colours but each to their own.

bertberr
    Free Member

Well, done the deed, so just need to accumulate the remaining bits and pieces for the build. Couple of questions for you Breath owners out there:

What sort of weight are we talking about built up, would be good to hear some builds / weights. Not a weight weeny, but I’m hoping it will be no more than 2 – 3lbs heavier than current ally hardtail, i.e. 28 – 29lbs would be good.

What stems are you running?

Standard or OS bars?

Whats the seat clamp size (I’m guessing post is 27.2) and front mech size (either I’m blind or its not on the website)?

Cheers

hora
    Free Member

One word, brilliant.

I found the 18″ too long. 16″ would have been spot on. Confidence inspiring and a cushioned ride.

willej

Well done. Hope you’ll be happy together! Did you go for the Breath or the Life in the end?
    Mine is 28 lbs, built up with sturdy parts and big tyres. My bars are Easton EA70 high rise, full width, with a “standard”, 70mm Thomson Elite stem. Seat post is 27.2, clamp is 29.8 and front mech is 28.6, I think.

bertberr
    Free Member

Thanks for the clamp sizes. Went for a Breath in the end, while I love the idea of an 853 frame like the Life, I just don’t feel the additional cost would have been justified, particularly with my fairly conservative style of riding.

Don’t have all the bits yet, some will be swapped over from my current bike, others will need to be sourced over the next few weeks, from here, ebay etc. Only new things will be the frame, brake calipers & rotors, and a new wheelset, though this may increase if certain parts prove hard to find in the right condition / price… I only have a certain amount of patience with these things.

nbt

hora – Member

One word, brilliant.

I found the 18″ too long. 16″ would have been spot on.

you;re 6’1″ Hora. Surely an 18″ with a shorter stem would be better than a 16″ with a longer stem?

StirlingCrispin

I’m 6ft1 with an 18″ Life. Sometimes wonder if should have gone for the 20″ – have a Soloist in this size and it’s spot-on.

Great bikes – I’ve ridden my Life non-stop for the last year, riding my Superlight just 4 times!

alpin
    Free Member

16″ Breath… i’m 5’7″. fits well. never thought the TT was long until i got my Alpine (15″/21″), although it’s maybe more a case of the Alpine’s TT being a bit short. but they are different bikes designed with different things in mind.

run it with 130mm fork sagged to ~110mm.

built up in this guise it’s about 27lbs. before i had thicker rims, bigger tyres and a third chainring. it still came in under 30lbs.

a real steel feel to the ride, more so than the Alpine, but then the tubes on the Sanderson are thinner and have more ‘shape’.

lovely bike.

hora
    Free Member

nbt funnily I only really got on with the 456 when I went from a 18″ down to 16″!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘16" Sanderson Life / Breath’ is closed to new replies.