Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • 150 things you LOVE about mountain bikers..
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Ok… I’m probably being a bit optimistic here, but as a counter point to all things annoying – what are the things you love about mountain bikers?

Me, for one, it is their shared affinity for mud, tea, cake and blue anodising (probably in that order).

Well, that’s 4 things already..

slugwash
    Free Member

They’re more likely to drink beer and puff weed than roadies 😉

loddrik
    Free Member

Nothing, they’re all knobs.

ton

most if not all i have met are usually very nice friendly people, and not up their own arses like most roadies i have met in the past.

simonfbarnes is the exception………….. 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

I really love the way mountain bikers feel obsessed to talk about roadies all the **** time as though they are some sort of alien force. The immaturity this portrays is so appalling. It’s all bikes.

‘blue anodising’ 🙄

wassell99
    Free Member

the willingness to get wet cold and muddy!!!!!

neil853
    Free Member

shared affinity with all things outdoors, sitting down after a good ride having a chat and a beer, discussing at the top of a good climb about what to buy next (needlessly) ha ha are the good things.

Bad – people not asking if you’ve got tools when your on the trail side, people not saying hello at all!!!! people who push in ques at the jet wash there’s loads but just goes around the topic of general argogance.

mema
    Free Member

The escapism after a long hard day at work then a huge piece of cake and the feeling after getting up ‘that’ big hill.

soma_rich
    Free Member

The cakes that seem to be appearing on more rides now 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

What’s this obsession with cake?

Is it a subtle ploy to try to get more women into MTBing?

hillsplease

Regular doses of buttock clenching life affirming near misses and big stacks that you can walk/limp away from.

The fact that folk well into their 50s still ‘play bicycles’ in the woods with their mates.

Most folk can be laughed at when they do something daft and don’t really mind.

The simple mechanical pervery of a well fettled full suspension moutain bike, preferably smelling of GT85. I’ll get my coat ….

mema
    Free Member

The ploy worked with me!

jova54
    Free Member

They’re inabilety to reed a froum post without chequeing the grammer. 😉

pantsonfire
    Free Member

Those occasional days when it all comes together the weather is right the trail is right nothing breaks and you seem to be able to pedal faster and further than usual.

Unfortunately it only seems to happen to me a few times a year but they are all the more memorable for that

Oh also Beer and Chocolate

slimtubing
    Free Member

or spelling for that matter 🙄
    the unquentiable desire for new shiny bits.
    lycra clad bottoms.(of opposite sex)

MrAgreeable

Speaking for myself here, the fact that they can get about 1″ of air off a crappy little jump and still think it’s the best thing ever. 🙂

kona_uk
    Free Member

1.Escapism
    2.Group banter
    3.Cake
    4.Scenery
    5.Fun

D0NK

Riding (on your own) through the morning mist, the only thing you can hear is the birds and the only living thing you see is wildlife.

The adrenaline shot from pinning one of your fave downhills.

Endorphin buzz after beasting yourself on a hard ride.

Grinning like an idiot at the end of a cracking fast/technical section and seeing the same look mirrored in the faces of your riding chums.

Post ride cake and the fact that you can eat huge slabs of it safe in the knowledge you’ve earned a massive carb deficit to cover it.

chakaping
    Free Member

[pedant mode]The thread title says “bikers”, not “biking”.[/pedant mode]

Funny how this thread’s a lot smaller than the “hate” one.

MrAgreeable

Helpful types sorting you out when you’ve had a mechanical.

A lot of them are happy to give you a lift somewhere if you’re a car-less scummer.

Hipflasks! 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

simonfbarnes is the exception

m-u-s-t r-e-s-i-s-t :o)

(but of course he meant exceptionally nice, handsome and THIN!)

DezB
    Free Member

Their Dr Jekyll (on bikes) and Mr Hyde (on STW) nature

ooOOoo
    Free Member

They like trees

thomthumb
    Free Member

cameraderie
    banter
    piss taking
    cake
    bike geek chat
    riding tales
    tales of far off lands and epic singletrack adventures
    beer drinking

binners

The urbane witty banter on the way to A&E

binners

competitive hip flask wielding on the top of the hills*

*Graham wins this hands down for the truly mental Absinthe fireworks evening where no-one remembers getting home 🙂

MrAgreeable

The fact that they have bodging down to an art form. I’ve seen some amazing examples of engineering with zip ties and gaffa tape. I’ve even seen a picture of a cardboard chain device. 😯

jojoA1
    Free Member

I like mountain bikers because in the main they are friendly and usually like being a little bit silly. I especially like the bikers who like being a lot silly.

The ones I ride with generally dish out support and banter just when you need them.

MrAgreeable

Even the ugliest Sidi disco slipper or special edition 5:10 wrongle shoe is cheaper and more practical than an Ugg boot.

redthunder
    Free Member

They are all closet Botanists.

redthunder
    Free Member

They like heavy forest plant and tractors 🙂

redthunder
    Free Member

We even tolerate Emma’s on there ponies….. Woof Wooof.

D0NK

[pedant mode]The thread title says “bikers”, not “biking”.[/pedant mode]

Ah yes I’d read the title then misread the OP, I thought if he could have tea cake and blue anodising I can waffle on about riding. Of course it actually says “their shared affinity for”

OK I love that mountainbikers aren’t afraid to point out your mistakes 🙂

“Urbane witty banter on the way to A&E” – Classic!

BadlyWiredDog

Their tendency to assume that somehow anyone who rides a mountain bike shares their own character traits and motivations, as if mountain bikers were some sort of big, uniform mass rather than a bunch of individuals with their own personal drives and character traits.

I love that about mountain bikers, but strangely I don’t expect anyone else to share my viewpoint 🙂

MrAgreeable

They sell you nice bike bits for cheap. And give you shonky bike bits for free.

finbar
    Free Member

They’re not triathletes.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘150 things you LOVE about mountain bikers..’ is closed to new replies.