Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 150 forks on a trance?
  • adrec
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2011 giant trance, 127mm rear travel and currently 125mm Fox rls on the front. I’ve got it in my head that putting some 150s on the front is a good idea. I don’t think the additional stress on the head tube will be a problem. Has anyone ever tried it, or is it a terrible idea that only an idiot would consider?

tmb467
    Free Member

Always good to google first

There’s a wealth of info if you add “+ SingleTrackWorld” to a google search

adrec
    Free Member

I used the search function but nothing came up. Take it from that old thread that 150s too much, 140s ok with a bit of messing, but best just to leave it as it was designed, as the people at giant knew what they were doing

cakefacesmallblock

Whatever the search throws up. I’ve run a 140mm fork on my 2008 ( only 100mm front and rear back then) Trance. I’ve had to learn to perch a little more on the saddle nose for steep climbing. However, with a now slacker head angle it’s a whole load more capable and stable on techie downs and I didn’t die or break my bike.

tmb467
    Free Member

The search function here isn’t as good as just googling and adding the + SingleTrackWorld phrase

Can’t imagine you’ll die if you put the forks on…just might be a bit more wandery on the climbs and will probably raise your bb / bars a bit. Stick some low rise or flat bars on if that’s the case

andymc06
    Free Member

I had a 2011 Trance X3 which I put Fox Fit 140’s on. Made it a far more capable bike. For info Giant did know what they were doing that’s why they spec’d the top of the range trance with a 140mm fork. It’s a great upgrade with very little downside imo.

theotherjonv

Ive seen it suggested many times that going +20mm on whatever giant maestro you have really makes a difference.

Ive got 120mm on my anthem. Proof if ever it were needed…..

adrec
    Free Member

I guess some 110-140 revs would be perfect. It’s an oversized head tube and steerer isn’t it? Fancy reducer headset required

rp16v
    Free Member

im 120 rear and 130 front and feels great anyone playing with offset bushings?

blob
    Free Member

If you’re thinking of putting longer forks on your frame, this website’s very handy for seeing what it’ll actually do to your geo bikegeo.muha.cc

tomaso
    Free Member

A mate has a 2010 Trance with Sector 150 dual positions on and he seems to prefer it. It will change the feel of the bike with a slacker seat tube and higher bb the negative folks normally gloss over with the words “slacker head angle”
    Off set bushes added into the mix could offset some of these changes?

backtothetop
    Free Member

2012 trance x here 140mm is perfect for this, although my 140mm fox floats have 147mm of travel, and ive upgraded the rear shock to an rp23 which made a massive difference over the stock rear shock.

scaredypants

u-turn pike worked great at full travel on my old one – what would that be, 140 ?
    a-c height of various “150” forks could differ by half an inch at least, I bet

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

I run 150mm Revs on mine. Can be a bit twitchy on really steep climbs – but it’s great everywhere else.

kudos100
    Free Member

Didn’t like mine at 150mm, rode much better at 130.

rp16v
    Free Member

Also have found the front end gets real light on climbs just gives an excuse to pull awsome wheelies uphill past your mates 😆

Speeder

It’ll be fine – what’s the worst that can happen?

(I used to run 140mm Pikes on my 100mm Trance and it was fun and I didn’t die) – you’ll get used to it whatever.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘150 forks on a trance?’ is closed to new replies.