Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 1.5 Vs. Normal steerer for a Tracer
  • Bernibus
    Free Member

What do you reckon? I'm looking at some Fox 32 150mm 15QR to use on my Intense. Whats the verdict – should I go for 1.5 steerer (and so replace my stem (which I'm going to do anyway)or taper? Seems a shame not to use 1.5 as its there in the frame……Sounds like ive already talked myself into it! Any downsides?

trusz
    Free Member

I'd probably go for tapered or just 1 1/8" as you'll limit your choice of stems. Straight 1.5" is going to be a bit stiffer and a fraction lighter but if you're going for 32s then neither are going to make a noticeable difference to be honest. Have you considered a 36mm fork? I have a 36mm Talas fork on mine and I love it. Given you have up to 6" on the rear, you know it makes sense! 😉

Bernibus
    Free Member

Yeah true, 36s' would be good but I've got Hope Pro 3 wheels that can only go as big as 15mm QR – Kinda stuck on that. 😕

trusz
    Free Member

boo 🙁 Cheaper to change a wheel than a fork later on… maybe trade your front wheel for a Pro II? I can't stress how much nicer they are to have when you're smashing down some rough stuff compared to the 32 I have on my other bike!

ps. pics when you're done 🙂

messiah
    Free Member

1.5" stems are almost all lumps… some scary expensive ones are not that heavy but your choice is limited (I have a 60mm Gravity Lite which is 170g and very noice!).

Tapered steerer gives you more choices and what i would go for (but I got some cheap 36's with a 1.5 steerer so that swung it for me).

Johnbot
    Free Member

I put some 36 Van R 1.1/8" on my tracer with a hope headset, not complaining nor am I regretting it

costello
    Free Member

36 talas on my tracer too,extra sturdiness just feels so right when you inevitably get it so wrong,(as i have done on more than one occasion)

duclicsic
    Free Member

I had a lot of trouble getting a 1.5" stem for a reasonable price. Started off with a Funn Rippa but due to some shoddy design work you absolutely must have at least one spacer above and below it, and I couldn't find a spacer narrow enough to fit in the recessed part of it. I had to file them down to get them on.
    I've since replaced it with a Truvativ which suffers from a similar problem but not to the same degree.

craig1975
    Free Member

I'm running 1.5 lyriks with a Gravity stem on my tracer.. the only issues i had was finding a 1.5 headset with a short enough stack… i started of with a cane creek, but I felt it choppered the bike to much and It was a struggle getting my weight forward on steep climbs… i ended up fitting a Crank Brothers 1.5 sage which helps a lot.. its just a pity there crap headsets.. the bearings pitted in only after 6 months…

i got my 1.5 forks very cheap.. so it was worth me doing it.. but it does limit me if i want to change my frame.. just means ill probably have to change my forks too…

z1ppy

No use to the OP as there 20mm bolt thru, but there was an American eBay shop selling rockshox 1.5 steerer forks for what i thought were quite reasonable prices (Inc duty, vat & P&P). Picked up some 140 Rev Teams & am very pleased with them, got a cheap Syncros stem off CRC, fsa 1.5 spacers are a £1 each too. PSA in my post history for the eBay link

kamina
    Free Member

If you are fine with a QR in front then I don't see a lot of reason to bother with a 1.5" steerer.

The lack of options in stems / headsets is fine if you find something that works (there are some good stems available). The main advantage regarding headsets and 1 1/8 steerers is that you can get a 0-stack headset which works nicely with a longer fork.

trusz
    Free Member

I got a Cane Creek XC II flush for my tracer which reduces to 1 1/8". It's been problem free for about 8 months now. Up to a 90mm Thomson stem now. Not so great for steeper downhills but at least my back is no longer in agony on long rides!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘1.5 Vs. Normal steerer for a Tracer’ is closed to new replies.