• This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Brown.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 14l osprey pack big enough ??
  • nobbyq
    Free Member

is the 14l raptor big enough for say , full day out in alps etc ? lunch , water , waterproof , tools , extra layer etc

matt_outandabout

I probably over pack – my first aid kid / emergency kit is 5L on it’s own. Add in a jacket, hat, water, lunch and I personally think that a few more litres would be good, or a pack you can put jacket on outside…

rob2
    Free Member

I’d say just. It has a tool roll at the bottom and you can tie an extra layer to the outside (or if thin you could get it inside).

matt_outandabout

The other issue is if the Osprey is a ‘real’ 14L, or like so many it is more like 10L…

Spin
    Free Member

my first aid kid / emergency kit is 5L on it’s own

That’s an awful lot of duct tape.

matt_outandabout

Only three lengths.

ampthill

I have the ten and its not really a rucsac more of a water plus bits. Which is fine for local rides

4 more litres would be good but still quite small if you wanted to say carry another layer as well as a water proof

It depends whether you want the discipline of the pack saying “no” really

yacoby
    Free Member

I have done big days in the Alps with a 14L rucksack (The old raptor). Just had spares, basic tools, jacket and lunch.

nickjb
    Free Member

It’ll be a bit snug but manageable. I prefer a bit more room to avoid squashing my baguette

JAG

I have a 14l Osprey pack.

I use it for carrying stuff when I commute to work mostly. It will hold all of the following;

Enough food for lunch for someone cycling 27 miles each way
    Shirt
    Trousers
    Pants/Socks/Belt
    iPhone/Charge cables
    Glasses/Wallet
    Large Cable Lock
    Multi-tool/pump/spare tube and chain links
    Work ID card

I’ve also taken it on holiday and carried everything for a day out – but I guess it depends how you pack and what you consider essential.

chevychase

Plenty for me.

househusband

In my experience I’d rather go for a larger pack with less in it than a smaller one packed to the gunwhales; the former would be more comfortable as the latter would ’round’ and not sit comfortable on your back.

Burchy1
    Free Member

For me yes. I’ve had 2 tubes, tools, something resembling a first aid kit, pump, jacket, gilet, phone/wallet, and a Chamonix bakery baguette in there with pads attached to the back and been fine.

That was tight though and anymore (or if you pack like a guide) and I reckon you’d want a bigger pack

Hoff

I have a Raptor 14L & although I can get all I need in it I find it uncomfortable as I don’t find it sits on my back very well. I’ve just bought the Osprey Escapist 18L for £40 from Evans which is huge in comparison & more comfortable with the same amount of kit in it.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve got a talon 22 for all day rides. Its big enough that it doesn’t need to be stuffed so keeps it shape nicely on the back. Very comfortable

Brown
    Free Member

Osprey bags are always ‘big’ for the stated size. I think they quote the size of the main compartment, where other brands quote the ‘total’ capacity of the bag.
    Anyway, we rode from Chamonix to Zermatt with 22L Ospreys with room to spare – so normal kit plus change of clothes and shoes, spare parts etc. A 14l would be more than enough for an Alpine day ride for me, personally.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘14l osprey pack big enough ??’ is closed to new replies.