Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 140mm rotors
  • STATO
    Free Member

Hi All,

Road bike has 140mm on the rear and the rotor is just a cheap thing. Wanted to upgrade a while back but there didnt seem to be anything nice (sensible price, light, not ugly, works well) available.

With them being a bit more popular now whats a good option?
    6-bolt only [edit]

Might fit one on the front but happy with 160mm so something i can get a matching 160mm would be good also.

Ta.

stevextc
    Free Member

I don’t know about road bikes but the 140 always seems a lot of fuss when looking into the kids hardtail… it’s not like his weight needs a 160mm but 140mm means adding adapters instead of the front just bolting right on… by the time you add that I’m not sure it saves any weight…

I usually go for simplifying my life … I took off some perfectly good Avid DB5’s just because I want to keep one set of spare pads and 1 bleed kit and the other bikes are all Shimano M685/M785 (and I don’t trust the 7 yr old with DOT fluid)

I know 180/160 is popular as well but my trail bike is dual 180 as it just makes rotors interchangeable….so I need to carry less spares and can swap stuff between bikes if needed…

Weight Weenie wise (usually I only care on kids racing bike) the Ashima rotors seem pretty good so far, last set were a week from China and I think £12 each… and the previous was a Alligator Aries…. being a kids bike I stick away from any sawtooth type rotors … better not to lose 10g by losing fingers 😀 .. I don’t think you’d want them on a fat bike but they are probably fine for use on a road bike

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’m selling a Hope 140mm floating rotor for £17.50 posted in black if that’s any use? 160’s available to match also. details in profile if any interest.

stevied
    Free Member

I had one off B-S and it’s very tidy 🙂

Speeder

Aztec Stainless Steel Fixed Disc Rotors are £12 at Evans, light and pretty good – use them on our BMXs with no issues so far.

vintagewino
    Free Member

140mm on a road bike (mine anyway) is actually one less adapter. I don’t think you need the power of a 160 on the back, seems odd that most new bikes are coming with them now. I’m after some of those hope discs too.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Hope on mine. They may even do a ‘race’ version which is lighter than the std one. Can’t remember.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Aztec for me on my CX bikes for the last couple of seasons without any issues.
    Light, reliable & transmit plenty of power.

STATO
    Free Member

Cheers all. As vintagewino says on most road bikes now 140mm is stock so no adaptors needed.

stevextc
    Free Member

The Ashima rotors are pretty good* then and they do a 140, the 160 is 68g.

*I’m assuming that they don’t really need to be as tough as an MTB and these do tend to be a bit easier to bend but you have a lot less force with 700c tyres

My last e-bay order arrived in 1 week
    Prior to that kids XC bike had a Aries Alligator … but bought the Ashima this time based on cost.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘140mm rotors’ is closed to new replies.