Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 140 or 160mm?
  • Elmo
    Free Member

I have a 2007 Marin Rocksprings.
    I took the forks off (140mm fox) to build my hardtail.

My attentions have turned back to my FS again.
    Unfortunately i cant afford new forks, so i’m looking at second hand (most of my bits are!) .
    Initially i was looking for something adjustable between 140 and 160, Talas, Revs, Lyrics. But these are looking a bit thin on the ground at a reasonable price/condition in the second hand market.
    There are a few sets of nice 160mm forks I’ve seen in classifieds (fed up of the e-bay farce) but they’re not adjustable.

I have a “whyte” link fitted, so the geometry is already a little slacker, this can be changed back though.
    Ultimately will it damage the ride that badly and or kill me if i get 160 instead of a 140?
    Or will i get big bouncy bike to abuse?

TheSwede
    Free Member

You will get a big bouncy bike to abuse down hill and a big bouncy bike to get back to the top again. Prob be ok with a low stack and or no spacers, zero rise stem. You may have to sit forward and pull the bars on the steep climbs but then you are going to be compromising the ups for the downs. Best case scenario is its much more fun on the descents and a bit of a pig on the steeps but manageable. For the record though, I use the talas a lot on my 36’s on a tracer.

Elmo
    Free Member

Well that was the hope in getting adjustable forks. At least i’d be able to go down if i’d managed to create a pig of a ride!
    When i first bought the bike i felt very on top of it and over the bars on a decent. Apparently this is common, hence the whyte link to slacken it.
    I’m thinking i could just take this back off!

TheSwede
    Free Member

PS wouldn’t go back to 32’s on an all mountain bike for an extra inch on my plonka.

Northwind

Uturn Lyriks wouldn’t be a bad call- heavier than TALAS 36s, but they work much better at the reduced settings, you genuinely do get a multiple length fork rather than a long fork with a crippled short mode.

TheSwede
    Free Member

you genuinely do get a multiple length fork rather than a long fork with a crippled short mode

Not if they have been rider tuned by TFT 😉

Disclaimer
    Which mine haven’t 😛

Elmo
    Free Member

I’m the wrong side of 15 stone to worry about “light bike parts!”

TheSwede
    Free Member

In which case, you could have just posted “I am a fat lad, do I need 36’s” In which case we would have all said Yes, your bike will surely explode if you use 32’s 😉

Elmo
    Free Member

8) 😆

Elmo
    Free Member

So the question is do i stick out for the adjustability then?!
    Theres 36 floats and vans out there for 250-300.
    But I’m struggling with decent talas!

TheSwede
    Free Member

Your call fella. Buy, try, sell if no good or wait for adjustability to arise. See what I did there 😀

Northwind

Elmo – Member

But I’m struggling with decent talas!

S’alright, so do Fox 😉

Elmo
    Free Member

Haha!

bwaarp
    Free Member

Dude you can get U-turn Lyriks for that second hand, they are way more supple than Talas forks for half a pound extra weight.

Elmo
    Free Member

I’ve hardly seen any Lyrics for sale 🙁

A few talas but the condition is crap or the price goes stupid!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘140 or 160mm?’ is closed to new replies.