Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • 140-160mm mini dh/freeride frames
  • _tom_
    Free Member

Looking for a shortish travel frame that’s suitable for riding dh/freeride on. I mainly ride at Woburn where my Bullit feels excessive and sluggish, plus the back end is quite flexy and the front quite high. I want a more responsive ride and don’t want any bigger than 160mm forks (hoping to put a Pike on it to start with, maybe upgrade to a Lyrik later on). Would also be nice to be able to pedal it up stuff as well but going down is more important. This may sound counter intuitive but I kind of want it to feel a bit hardtaily with just a bit of travel on the rear to soak up badly landed jumps, drops etc. Budget is £400-500 second hand.

Any suggestions? Was looking at something like an older SC Heckler, Cotic Hemlock, Saracen Ariel X or one of those Commencal Absolute SX. Needs to come in around a 15″ frame, the medium (17″) bullit feels a bit on the large side for me after going back to my 15″ Trailstar.

rs
    Free Member

transition double or bottlerocket, might be difficult to find for that money though.

mrplow
    Free Member

Last Herb FR is supposed to be good for your requirements and adjustable to different travel settings.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Seen them today for the first time, but what about the ragley 288 or Troof?
    Can’t get much more hardtaily 😉

lostboysaint
    Free Member

Transition TR250? Comes in a Small (16″), 160mm travel and very, very sexy.

_tom_
    Free Member

I’ve got a Trailstar that I’m riding at the minute, it’s good but I think I prefer full sus. That frame’s better for DJ than DH anyway. Ragleys look hideous as well.

I love the look of Bottlerockets, can they be had second hand in my budget?

mrplow
    Free Member

Sorry – never read the hardtaily bit properly!

honourablegeorge

lostboysaint – Member
    Transition TR250? Comes in a Small (16″), 160mm travel and very, very sexy.

lostboysaint
    Free Member

It does both, it’s switchable between the two.

andymac
    Free Member

Banshee/Mythic Wildcard. Similar to a Bottle Rocket. I use mine at Woburn and its great for there. It can take Pikes because I used them before upgrading to Fox 36s. Don’t come up very often but should be around £500 if they do. Got mine just over a year ago in mint condition with a Chris King Headset for £530. Might give you something else to look for in addition to the Bottle Rocket.

AlexSimon

I can’t quite work out whether you’re after shorter travel or maybe just a more responsive bike with the same travel as the bullit.

Anyway – I’ll toss in a few…

Specialized SX trail
    Five (maybe with a cane creek upgrade later).
    Lapierre Spicy/Zesty
    Last Herb AM
    Specialized Enduro

honourablegeorge

lostboysaint – Member

It does both, it’s switchable between the two.

Still all the heft of a 180 bike, though. It’s hardly going to be lighter than a Bullit.

chakaping
    Free Member

Like many of the suggestions here, the Orange Blood will also be over budget – but I thought I’d say it anyway.

Marin do some burly 140mm-travel bikes which I bet would be in budget, Attack Trail and Wolf Ridge is it?

_tom_
    Free Member

I can’t quite work out whether you’re after shorter travel or maybe just a more responsive bike with the same travel as the bullit.

Me either 😆 I feel that 180mm is a bit excessive for where I ride, considering I never really bottom out the 140mm Pike as it is. Woburn and Stile Cop aren’t really that rough, I just like having the rear suspension to soak things up! I’ll also have this as my only mtb so it’d be nice to be able to pedal it, don’t seem to find many 180mm bikes that will also pedal nicely. The bullit does ok but it’s quite easy to wheelie.

lostboysaint
    Free Member

Still all the heft of a 180 bike, though. It’s hardly going to be lighter than a Bullit.

Very true, but he wanted a “mini dh” bike and that is exactly the right bike.

I missed the budget though. No chance of achieving that.

JohnnyPanic

Commencal Meta 4x with a Pike. Not warrantied for 160 tho.
    Or Absolut SX

PJM1974
    Free Member

Marin Wolf Ridge/Attack Trail/Rock Springs all can be had for less than £500 secondhand.

All of them feature 146mm of rear travel and 12mm Maxle droputs, the later models have tapered headtubes and ISCG mounts, but some lose the Fox Float shock that works so well with the frame.

They’re surprisingly versatile in spite of the geometry and all up weight, however they’re a great deal of fun and are hugely fast and confidence inspiring on the descents. The 08/09 models came with Pikes, which suit the bikes admirably but they’re also just as happy with a 160mm fork of your choice. They pedal really well too.

Highly recommended.

benfeh
    Free Member

I have an ’07 heckler with pikes – great bike far better than my abilities and climbs well. It’s a lot lighter than it looks. SC say it’s good for up to 170mm up front. Tough and simple

Have an RP23 adjusted to give more linear travel – you don’t want that modern progressive travel stuff on a single pivot bike.

You should be able to pick up a second hand one in your price range.

_tom_
    Free Member

Lots of options for me to have a look at, cheers 🙂 Whats the back end of the Heckler like? I find my Bullit quite flexy side-to-side, notice it in corners.

I’m still a bit interested in the DMR Bolt but it gets mixed reviews. Anyone know where I can test one out?

sv

Pitch?

benfeh
    Free Member

I’ve found the rear end ok but I’m not the hardest rider in the world so I suspect if you find the Bullit flexy you’ll probably find the Heckler the same – they look pretty similar.

_tom_
    Free Member

Had considered a pitch before but the 45″ wheelbase seems huge, I’m used to about 41″ on the Bullit and Trailstar 🙂

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Bottlerocket can be bought within budget, keep an eye on Pinkbikes, frame only went on there last week for c £500.
    Regards
    Richard

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

http://www.southerndownhill.com/forum/index.php/topic,258919.0.html
    No connection to seller but might be worth a look.

Northwind

In the finest traditions of the internet, I recommend what I have, a Hemlock… Get a later model one with the 1.5 headtube, stick a head angle reducer in it, and a set of Lyriks or 36s. And make damn sure it’s got the updated swingarm! I’ve had a lot of bother finding a downhill bike I like because so many just aren’t as fun as my lil’ bike. And I figure if I can’t break it at the endurance dh race at fort william, I won’t break it anywhere.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Would something in the slopestyle mold be appropriate? Mountain cycle Battery? Definitely within budget anyway.

_tom_
    Free Member

Yeah I think I’d be looking at a slopestyle bike rather than DH. Forgot about that Battery, they look pretty fun but can’t seem to find em anywhere. There’s one on ebay at the minute but I won’t be able to buy anythig til I get my bullit sold.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Was looking at something like an older SC Heckler, Cotic Hemlock, Saracen Ariel X or one of those Commencal Absolute SX.

Tom, there’s a lovely Absolut SX on a well known auction site at the mo’ – new warranty replacement and only used a handful of times – one careful lady owner 😉 . Lovely little bike but I’m going back to a Tazer 😛 .

_tom_
    Free Member

Looks awesome especially in that colour, but as I said I need to get my Bullit sold before I can actually buy anything 🙁 Are BB pivots as bobby to pedal around on as I’ve heard though?

mamadirt
    Free Member

Pedals really well Tom – there is some bob in the lowest couple of gears but I find it gets me up most stuff with 1 x 9. I’ve owned 3 . . . so far 😆 – 2 orange ones and the matte red 2011 model which is up for sale. Must stop selling stuff 😕

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve got a Banshee Rune frame for sale for around £100 if you want. There is some play in the main pivots which wll need to be sorted out (check out the mtbr banshee forum for more info and discussion on this), but the bike rides beautifully.

E-mail: mikek@skylinecad.plus.com

Northwind

I should probably make another feeble attempt to sell my SX Trail frame at this point. Other people think they’re fantastic 😉

mikey74
    Free Member

I love my SX Trail

moniex
    Free Member

Small 15.5 inch COVE hustler?

Lovely bike and great with pikes. I have a 2007 one (2 carefull lady owners) that has just had a new powdercoat (it was pink and I was thinking of passing it onto my lads) in kawasaki green with armoutex in London (and was inspected). Just about to get the local cove dealer to put in new bearings and have new decals…

Any good to you? I have some white pikes to go on it as well.

Great bike and I have seen it with lyrics before (eventhough it should be run with 140 forks)

email in profile

Simone

_tom_
    Free Member

Thanks for the offers but I think the SX would be too much travel and the Hustler a bit too xc. Plus I’m not a fan of the looks of either one and I’m a bit of a tart when it comes to that sort of thing 😆

Once again I’m almost to the point of not bothering as there’s just far too much choice out there, going to spend all my time endlessly trawling through specs, reviews etc! If I could stiffen up the Bullit somehow (bolt through rear axle maybe?) and fit a shorter travel shock/single crown fork it would maybe be alright.

nekokojedaleko
    Free Member

Hi Tom, I know how you feel. I came across something yesterday that might help you. Bike Leasing Company have a special offer on 2011 Bottlerockets at the moment. 2 year lease is 3 payments of £288 to begin with and then £5.99 a week and the last 6 months of the lease are free. Might be a good option for you.

jedi

bottlerocket is my fave bike i have owned. stoopid fun to ride

choron
    Free Member

Potential astro-turfing here? A guy turns up to plug a (slightly dodgy looking IMO) company with his first post?

Putting a certain username into google with either the word “bike” or “bike leasing company” throws up a few interesting results too.

Anybody care to do a bit of digging? Should I start sharpening my pitchfork?

Anybody want to pay a shitload of money to not own a bike?

flyingmonkeycorps

I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss the Hustler… They’re a LOT more capable than you’d think, and ridiculous fun to ride. Long, low and slack = downhill monster. I’ve just bought a Hemlock, but I’d have had a Hustler happily if one’d come up.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

For the budget, I’d say a Heckler or Prophet MX would fit the bill. Marin Attack Trail is a good shout too – but it’s a Marin 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘140-160mm mini dh/freeride frames’ is closed to new replies.