Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • 13thfloor, CX frenzy – it's the Edinburgh Wednesday Night lycra fun plan
  • ojom
    Free Member

G’day all

After last weeks amusing NatureWatch/Sideways Slide along the coast and loud pub quiz experience it is time once again to pick something to do.

What d’ya fancy?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Urban singletrack? Needs a few folk to sort out the bits they know. Dreghorn / braid hill / etc

Pencaitland railway walk / butterdean woods and return CXable route? ( maybe a bit far – 38 miles or so)

13thfloormonk

Needen’t be CX, I un-clagged the brakes on the MTB…

TJ, I’ve not had a chance to look at your route from last week, how long was that?

I can lead a good route starting at Blackford hill, skirting the Hermitage, landrover track round the back of the Braids golf course, tasty wee cheeky descent to Braid Road, lots of mini-loops forming a sort of cloverleaf uber-loop in Mortonhall, which then leaves us but a skip and a jump from Dreghorn. We could even return via Craiglockhart hill for one final cheeky descent into Morningside.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Last weeks was around 32 miles for me – leith back to leith

The issue with going east is that it leaves people on the wrong side of town – that route is 38 miles from and back to leith going east.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

13thfm, that route sounds amazing. you’ll have to show it to me some time, won’t be out tomorrow night though.

13thfloormonk

Weekend Paul?

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Doubt it. Got builders in my flat right now, when they finish during the day, i’m in at night doing bits and pieces. They should be finished by Friday so the weekend will be spent reinstalling my kitchen and bathroom. Another time though, definately!

ojom
    Free Member

druidh says:

Personally, I’d be happy to do last weeks ride again. Equally happy to follow 13fm if we can make it into a sensible distance from the shop.

13thfloormonk

Will try to memory map it tonight and work out a distance.

ojom
    Free Member

We have extra loan/demo lights now cause Ran at 2pure rocks. Got some Minewt 250 Cordless and some shinier ones available.

Give me a holler if you want me to charge up for you.

13thfloormonk

I make the ‘urban’ loop about 35km give or take from the Shop back to Bruntsfield.

Give or take for extra loops of the good bits, and potential doubling back on Arthur’s seat to get that extra cheeky bit thats always worth a go.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Sounds good.

Teh other day I found a offroad route from swanston to morningside

13thfloormonk

No! The fabled ‘Morningside Passage’?!

I’ve just looked on the map and I think I see it, some of it goes through Greenbank park?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yup

Not particularly interesting but its better than road

sharki
    Free Member

Count me in.

Lights please TBC

x

Kit
    Free Member

Count me out.

Proplus please pharmacist!

x

ojom
    Free Member

Sharki – nae worries
    Kit – not good enough

Northwind

So… What are we doing again?

ojom
    Free Member

Well don’t ask me.

druidh
    Free Member

Argh!! Just tell me what bike to bring.

I take it that we are starting from the shoppe?

ojom
    Free Member

Cayo.

Aye.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I thought we are following 13th floor monk around – him in his black lycra
    Knobblies for urban singletrack. Black lycra for stealth when the busies come after us

ojom
    Free Member

That’s what i said.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Make it interesting and explore the woods in the Craigmiller/Niddrie area. Also the descent from Craigmiller Castle to the NRI. Won’t be out tomorrow, mother in law is arriving on the witches express and my SO is doing a dress rehearsal for the play of the year (in Newtongrange) BAFTA surely to follow 🙄
    Wee reminder, I’ll guide a ride out here next Wednesday for any that are interested.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

steven – you got any details of those bits?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

The descent to the NRI is just the walkway that runs from the crossing near the entrance to the Castle, but it does have some nicely jumpable steps on it and is a good blast. It’s been a while since I rode there, used to live near Danderhall. Try the woods round Hunters Hall Public Park(?) near the Jack Kane centre. Also the woods between Craigmillar Castle and Bridge End allotments. The loop I used to do was spoilt a bit when they put the big fence up round the area opposite the NRI. Might be best to explore in the daylight, Sunday morning perhaps?

stanfree
    Free Member

I’ll not be out but If you are near the Jack Kane head for the Fort Kinnaird ,cycle on the road between the shopping centre and VW garage and you enter the old bing area . Ive walked my dog round there and there are plenty wee jumpy bits. Also maybe not for tommorow but If you head up the road from the shopping centre past the Porsche /ferrari garage carry on past the right hand turn towards the wisp ,pass the private road sign (rhs) then before the road forks to the left you can enter over a wee mound into the old Monktonhall colliery site where there are loads of wee tracks usually used by scramblers. Worh a look .

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Watch out for folks shooting rabbits in there tho’.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Cheers guys

stanfree
    Free Member

Steven the speed of some of these ‘race snakes’ the poachers would have no chance. On the other hand If I was out I’d be a sitting duck to the Niddroid snipers.

Kit
    Free Member

Kit – not good enough

Foistly, I has no bikey (in for repair)
    Secondly, I have exams to revise for (joy… welfare economics, anyone?)

druidh
    Free Member

I’m happy to give the Niddrie/Fort Kinnaird area a wide berth.

I’ll be packing the hybrid again, so hoping for a nice, mud-free ride.

druidh
    Free Member

Kit – Member

Foistly, I has no bikey (in for repair)

I didn’t see it in the workshop 😉

Secondly, I have exams to revise for (joy… welfare economics, anyone?

Can I just be the first to say
    GROW UP AND GET YOURSELF A JOB!!!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’d be happy to go one Sunday morning, early likes before the bandits are oot their scratchers, ken.

pixelmix
    Free Member

About time I made it out for a Wed night ride. Sounds like one for the MTB rather than the SS CX bike, oui?

TBC – Can I borrow a light please? I promise I’ll be well behaved and try not to pile into any trees whilst it is on my bars.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

where is your sense of adventure Druidh? Keeps you young and all that

druidh
    Free Member

TJ – it’s knowing where (not) to be that’s kept me alive long enough to be old!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

🙂

ojom
    Free Member

Graeme – aye. No probs.

Hmm so is it Mojo tomorrow then or CX again?

stanfree
    Free Member

You will be fine all the Schemie’s will either be inside watching Rangers v Man U on there Sky Hd boxes or at a dog fight In the Duddingston Mill pub.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘13thfloor, CX frenzy – it's the Edinburgh Wednesday Night lycra fun plan’ is closed to new replies.