Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • 130-140mm 29er/140-150mm 27.5" Full Sus: definitive list?
  • Stoner
    Free Member

I am currently fantasizing over getting a 5-6″ FS. Big wheels for a big lad. I gather this is called “Enduro” yes? Ive not really been paying any attention to the latest models but cant seem to find an ST grouptest – anyone know which issue I need to look at?

Can anyone suggest bike models to put in a list of options?

From the Canyon Spectral thread Ive got as far as (although I particularly want Pikes in the range, not the Fox Talas/Float, so that rules out one or two):

Canyon Spectral 29er
    Canyon Spectral 27.5
    Radon Slide 29er
    Radon Slide 27.5
    On-One Codeine (If it ever comes back to us)
    Nukeproof Mega TR 27.5 (Is the AM too big at 160mm?)

ska-49
    Free Member

Orange Five 27.5”
    Orange Segment 29”
    Santa Cruz Bronson 27.5”
    Santa Cruz Heckler 27.5”
    Kona Process 27.5”
    Giant Trance 27.5”
    Whyte G150 27.5”
    Whyte s129 29”
    Specialized Stumpjumper 27.5”

I think that pretty much every manufacturer makes a bike that fits into your travel spec. It comes down to suspension platform/spec/price/brand snobbery.

Stoner
    Free Member

ace, thanks ska. Also looking for those not-“big brands” kind of options.

Found another one:

Pyga oneforty650

warpcow
    Free Member

Was just drooling a little over the new Rose Root Miller. Sort-of big brand but sort-of unusual. They have 27.5″ stuff too.

sumomatt
    Free Member

Cube stereo 27.5/29
    Orange Alpine 5 29er
    Specialized Enduro 27.5/29
    Intense Carbine 29

All on my next list

Stoner
    Free Member

I was looking on Rose bikes earlier in the week – I think before theyd launched the 2015 root miller. The 2014 ones just looked a bit wrong in the TT. The 2015 does look better, but the pricing isnt outstanding when compared to the Canyon.

br
    Free Member

Bird Aeris

Warpcow – the Root Miller got a crap write-up in WMB.

ceepers

transition patrol looks real fun
    new ibis mojo

Stoner
    Free Member

all great info. Thanks, keep ’em coming.

Stoner
    Free Member

new ibis mojo

Maybe I should put a budget cap on this fantasy list? 🙂

warpcow
    Free Member

b r – Member
    Bird Aeris

Warpcow – the Root Miller got a crap write-up in WMB.

The new one? BR only has a WMB review of the old one. The new one is longer (but with shorter CSs), slacker and lower on paper, with a new suspension layout too.

AlexSimon

Banshee Spitfire 27.5
    Banshee Prime 29 (quite burly)
    Banshee Phantom 29 (lower travel than your spec, but very capable)

blob
    Free Member

Giant trance sx

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a Stumpy 29er and it’s ace.

But if I were to replace my 26er Spesh Camber with anything, it would be a Bird Aeris.

chakaping
    Free Member

Have you seen the Hammerhead Thumper (aka Switchback somethingorother)?

Great frame at a bargain price and works well with a Pike.

kristoff
    Free Member

In STW tradition I’ll recommend what I have,

Santa Cruz bronson

What about the Orbea Rallon? Doug from basque mtb rates it very highly.

kimbers

the carbon process 134 should be out by the summer, job done

saying that my alluminium one is amazeballs

jairaj

The new Transitions look awesome as does the Kona Process line up.

Both come in 650B and 29er options.

Nobby

Also looking for those not-“big brands” kind of options

Followed a Saracen Ariel around Afan t’other week and it looked a very capable bike.

smatkins1
    Free Member

YT Industries Capra

A lot of bang for your buck according to the reviews.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Nicolai ION 16 650b and ION 15 29er

austen

SC TBLt

fr0sty125
    Free Member

This is going to be a very long list there are so many good options.

Transition Scout
    Transition Smugler
    Banshee Spitifire
    Banshee Phantom
    Liteville 301

somouk
    Free Member

Not sure if anyone has mentioned the Canyons but they look pretty good pricing for the kit in the Spectral range.

chestrockwell

Another vote for the Orange 5 29 / Alpine 5. Some good deals about on 2014 bikes too.

shredder
    Free Member

To be different BTR Pinner.

br
    Free Member

I’m in this market too, looking for something as a fiftieth ‘treat’

Money isn’t really an issue but I’m finding it very hard to look beyond the Canyon/On-One/Bird etc sub £3k bike c/w Pikes and 1×11 options.

Why would I really want to pay twice as much for the same performance, or alternatively the same money for an SLX/Fox 32 based bike.

rhayter

Yeti 575 or SB75, frame only. Put whatever forks you want on it.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Why would I really want to pay twice as much for the same performance, or alternatively the same money for an SLX/Fox 32 based bike.

Because £3k is a lot of money to spend on something that you can’t see, let alone ride on first.
    or because the geometry or sizing of any of the uber value brands doesn’t fit what you might be after, and at the end of the day those are the most important things to how the bike rides, not whether it’s got XT over SLX or another couple of dials on the fork.

Horses for courses of course but that’s why I’ve discounted any of the above from my shortlist.

nuke

Turner Burner would also be on my list

ianpv
    Free Member

Love my stumpy 29er with 140mm fork, built from a bikescene frame.

Mainstream but in a different league to the other full sus bikes I’ve owned before (00 jekyll, 04 bullit, 03 big hit, 05 enduro, 07 heckler, 08 patriot, two giant trances, salsa spearfish). Ok they’re not all the same sort of bike, but the stumpy is not far off the old big hit downhill and almost as good XC as the spearfish, and outperforms all the others almost everywhere.

With a decent shock, fork and wheels it would be even better than it is (needs a stiff fork and stiff wheels – I’ve got a revelation and crests which are woeful on a bike as capable as this)

Process looks good in both varieties. In fact loads of them look good. Is it possible to buy a really bad bike these days?

spectabilis
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m in this market too, looking for something as a fiftieth ‘treat’

Same age as the OP as well! Happy birthday!

£3k is a lot of money to spend on something that you can’t see, let alone ride on first.
    or because the geometry or sizing of any of the uber value brands doesn’t fit what you might be after, and at the end of the day those are the most important things to how the bike rides, not whether it’s got XT over SLX or another couple of dials on the fork.

Yep, agreed. But then, our illustrious OP is a relentless brand snob and won’t be swayed, no matter how good the argument!

😉

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Canondale Trigger 29 or Jeckyl 27.5 depending if you want an Enduro bike with more of an XC (former) or DH (latter) slant.

chestrockwell

Money isn’t really an issue but I’m finding it very hard to look beyond the Canyon/On-One/Bird etc sub £3k bike c/w Pikes and 1×11 options.

As mentioned, you’ve got to test any bike you consider. Having tested a few recently I was surprised how different ‘similar’ bikes felt. Put me right off getting anything I couldn’t test.

Northwind

Remedy 29. Yeah I know Treks are never cool but it’s blimmin brilliant, still want one.
    Oh while we’re at it, Remedy 650b. For reasons unknown, found it absolutely dog slow, and genius fun

br
    Free Member

But you can test most bikes, with a bit of effort – e.g. demo days, mates, blagging etc.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Remedy 29. Yeah I know Treks are never cool but it’s blimmin brilliant, still want one.

Indeed, but be sure and try for size first, I found the sizing really weird. Carbon one is better but sadly above my budget.

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Mondraker Dune XR or a Foxy carbon.I nearly went for the Pyga but got a 29 Covert instead, that was a bad move. The Foxy XR however, total barnstormer.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘130-140mm 29er/140-150mm 27.5" Full Sus: definitive list?’ is closed to new replies.