Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • 1:25k OS Maps for Garmin Edge 800
  • excitable1
    Free Member

What’s the best and most cost effective way to get some of these for the Garmin Edge 800 ? cus’ I’ll be **** if I’m paying £129 per region (according to the Garmin web site)!

Surely there are some cheeky down loads to be had from somewhere, or do people just make do with the 1:50k maps you get with the device in the maps bundle.

PS Haven’t bought the thing yet but I always use the 1:25k Discoverer maps in the old paper copy and big felt pen method and would prefer bigger maps on the device trying out new trails etc in the usual haunts (I.E.Lakes, North Wales & Peaks)

highclimber
    Free Member

unfortunately OS are money grabbing bastards and getting hold of none garmin encoded maps will be nigh impossible because of this fact.

druidh
    Free Member

On my Dakota 20, I can add custom maps. I’ve already tested this by scanning in a copy of the Glentress Trail Centre map, calibrating/aligning it on Google Earth and them putting it onto the Garmin.

Does the 800 not support this facility?

postierich
    Free Member

Paid for the OS Lake district mapping only because I live here now it did hurt paying out the wonga!

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve just googled it and the Edge 800 does, indeed, support custom maps. So, all you need is a scanner and a little patience.

abductee
    Free Member

I’m not sure 25k would be any better than 50k on the small screen these things have. At 25k zoom you will only be able to see a small area. You can create custom maps using MOBAC but the recent versions no longer do OS maps. Custom maps are limited in the area of coverage so good for something like a trail centre map but not much good for larger areas.

DT78
    Free Member

Looked into this, you can do custom maps by scanning a map in. Details are buried some where on the garmin site it didn’t look that straight forwards so I didn’t bother in the end. I found the 50k mapping pretty crap for where I ride so in the end I got opensource mapping off talkytoaster has contours too.

easygirl

Where are he cheeky downloads pleeeeasssee

druidh
    Free Member

Cheeky = illegal.

Wouldn’t want the polis to find out eh?

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Hi,

EDIT to post:- here is a page that explains all you need to know about what I wrote below specifically for the Garmin 800. Google is your friend etc…….

http://www.justgoride.co.uk/Content/Articles/Item.aspx?id=119

What map formats does the Garmin 800 support?

I use my Motorola Defy (and previously a HTC Desire) as my bike computer. There is a program called Mobile Atlas Creator which allows you to grab open source maps from the Interweb and create maps for your device.

I use RunGPS and have created both OS maps which change scale as you zoom in from 1:50000 to 1:25000 etc. I have checked the program and it does allow to create them in the format Garmin Custom Map (KMZ).

If the 800 could use these maps it would save you buying the maps or having to faff about with scanning and calibrating the maps.

It does take a bit of time to create your maps and there is a bit of trial and error to get them to a usable size etc. But if you can waste time on STW forums you can equally waste it setting up your maps 😉

An OS Map in 1:50, 1:25 and road atlas covering about a 30 miles from my house in all directions is about 230mb in size.

Regards

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Crikey – the Satmap looks better and better!

Satmap allow you to cut custom maps – for instance I have a 70x70km square centered on Guildford and it covers the Surrey Hills, Swinley, Tunnel Hill, North Downs, etc.

It was less than that region cost.

Maybe someone does something similar for the Garmins?

excitable1
    Free Member

But if you can waste time on STW forums you can equally waste it setting up your maps

… very, very funny.

Thanks for all your help. I think I’m more confused than I ever was but I’ll have a look into the suggestions here. Then again I may just stick to the old method of work’s colour photo copier and big felt tip pen !

stuey
    Free Member

I’ve just started playing with the free entire UK ‘openstreetmap’ based ones on http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm – routable with contours but I think they’re only 1:50000?

The guy that runs the site will do map scan request for a small fee.

clowner
    Free Member

What you want is Mobile Atlas Creator 1.8

Lets you create Garmin custom maps from various web sources – OS from multimap/bing down to 1:25k and satellite imagery from google etc

nre
    Free Member

Just as an aside, I use OruxMaps on an android phone (with maps generated from Mobile Atlas Creator) I have the whole UK in 1:25000 OS. Highly recommended App once you get the mapping data sussed!

neilb67
    Free Member

As Clowner says you just need Mobile Atlas Creator 1.8. But make sure you download 1.8 and not 1.9 as OS maps arent available after 1.8.

excitable1
    Free Member

Clowner, nre, neilb67,

I had a good play last night 😯 !!!…. down loaded Mobile Atlas Creator 1.8 and got the map tile creation part sussed. Interestingly it’s the ‘Multimap OS’ map source that has them at 1:25k with exactly the same detail as the OS Explorer maps as the actual OS maps for the National Parks and not the ‘Ordnance Survey’ source…. and all FOC (easygirl – they really are all there and totally FOC, don’t worry about the quality of the map when viewing it in the programme(you’ll notice it’s not quite straight) when you down load the created map it’s all corrected). Great programme. Thanks.

spangelsaregreat – Great link with very clear instructions (just got a bit confused over the naming bit though). Thanks also.

If I’ve got it right using the Atlas Creator programme and the Multimap source I just create a tile for the area of a new route I want to create, save it on the PC and then onto the Garmin. I’ll then be able to either create a route in Google or in Garmin Base Camp using the new map and then we’re away, seems almost a waste of time buying the Garmin with the 1:50k maps included (?).

clowner
    Free Member

As an aside it would be good if somewhere could be set up to share custom maps of trail centres and other mtb related maps.

The process to create them is easy enough its just very time consuming fiddling about to get it everything aligned

Nobby

Sorry for the slight hijack but is it possible to convert Fugawi OS maps for use on the Garmin? I’ve full UK Fugawi maps on an old PC that I stopped using some time ago.

neilb67
    Free Member

Excitable1- yes just save the tile to the 800. There’s a limit to how many you can store, size not quantity, but I just keep one on there of my local stuff, Cannock, and then just add tiles as and when I need. I thought the same about the 1:50 maps but I use it on my road bike and prefer the 1:50 for road use.

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Hi,

Yes its a great bit of software for creating custom maps for GPS devices.

The Open Street map with the OS road colours is great for road bike use.

Regards

djflexure

Is zoom level 14 adequate for 1:25K or have I missed the point completely?

Saved a map to my device and trying to view it in Basecamp but not obviously different to what is already there.

djflexure

Ok – gone up to zoom level 16 and now have 1:25K over a small area on both basecamp and the device.
    I seem to be limited to file size that is output from Mobile Atlas Creator, so presume that in order to build up decent coverage at 1:25K I have to make up lots of small maps.
    Is this right or am I missing a trick?
    Cheers

clowner
    Free Member

Anyone tried the jnx hack?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657220

Lets you use the garmin jnx format (which garmin uses for its birdseye product) for custom maps.

This is gets round the 100 tile limit of the kmz custom maps that is currently used and apparently the rendering speed on the device is significantly quicker.

Not tried it myself but sounds pretty good

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Can Mobile Atlas Creator be used to get OS onto an Edge 700?

clowner
    Free Member

I don’t think the older edge units support custom maps, in which case you won’t be able to use Mobile Atlas to put OS maps on the 700

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘1:25k OS Maps for Garmin Edge 800’ is closed to new replies.