Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • 120mm hardtails: whats the bike du jour at mo?
  • langy
    Free Member

piglet, 456, soul, what else should I look for?

oh, and 26 wheels, as at 5’6″ I’m on the cramped end of the 29er spectrum…

(sorry, time poor, don’t wanna trawl everything myself, tapping the STW Hive Mind)

stumpytrek
    Free Member

Dialled Bikes Prince Albert? 853 “classic” flavour has just been released.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

Cove handjob…I love mine

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Inbred or Scandal?

LeeW

I’ve got 120mm forks on my Ibis Tranny.

Leku
    Free Member

http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m90b5s717p5232/SARACEN_Kili_Flyer_Cro-Mo_Mens_Mountain_Bike_Frame_2011-_Aqua

SARACEN Kili Flyer Cro-Mo Mens Mountain Bike Frame 2011- Aqua £356 including headset & QR.

I’m 5’6″. It was a replacement for my stolen Cotic Soul. Compares very well to that.

[/url]
    IMG_0458 by jh_buchanan, on Flickr[/img]

mmel
    Free Member

Ragley Piglet, all the bike I ever need 😉

letmetalktomark

Soul.

ianpinder
    Free Member

Ibis tranny

letmetalktomark

Something a little different Sir?

bigbloke
    Free Member

got to consider Whyte 19 or 905.

a great set up from the off geometry etc feels spot on.

i personally ride a 19 steel, brilliant straight out the box, only bike i have ridden that feels right. excellent deals to be had on current/last season bikes built up with custom kit to good spec from the distributors website direct.

ATBSales ex demo (though have a range of hardtails built new for under a grand with fox forks etc).
    would be where i look first . warranty issues if any are handled in superb style.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

whats the bike du jour at mo?

Pleonasm. FTFY.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Bfe

plus those already mentioned.

bikeytom
    Free Member

+1 for the Piglet, I love mine

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

@Leku – that Kili Flyer is lovely

What about this 🙂

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-brodie-ti-holeshot-frame-bits

qwerty
    Free Member

A 2007 HJ @140

120able at a turn of my knob. An elven 15.5″ frame.

fathomer

In true STW fashion I’ll recommend what I own having never ridden any of the competition. Cotic Soul which I love!

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

As @bigbloke stated earlier, Whyte 19’s are worth looking at.

My mate picked up a virtually un-used 2nd hand standard alloy version with Fox QR15 forks, Hope Tech X2s, SRAM drivetrain, Thomson/Easton parts. It’s light, slack, very good value for money.

mboy
    Free Member

Genesis Altitude/Latitude

Like a Soul, but not a Soul if you get me.

I’ve ridden many of the above bikes mentioned, and to be fair I don’t think there’s a bad one amongst them, I had an 853 Steel Altitude and absolutely loved it. In fact, I only replaced it with the Ti version of the very same frame!

Dibbs
    Free Member

I liked my Whyte 19 so much I bought 2 more, a 19 Ti & 19 Race (carbon seat stays).

Naranjada
    Free Member

If the Soul is anything like as good as a Solaris and you can’t fit on a medium Solaris, get a Soul, otherwise get a Solaris.

_tom_
    Free Member

Trailstar 🙂

Tasso
    Free Member

The 725 Albert at £250 bargain

15.5″ frame fits like a glove for me at 5’6″ so messing with fork lengths, stems and saddle position, bars etc allows for a change of handling without making it scary or killing climbing ability. Not harsh like the early ones were reputed to be. Finish is holding up really well (stickers excepted – but they are just stickers)

If you want uppy downy post and taper forks maybe not but it’s far and away the best all round bike I’ve ridden or owned. Tried a pre-CEN Soul for a while, had an Inbred, wifey has a scandal, had a ‘dale Taurine and so on.

In a similar vein the Cove Stiffee is a hoot to ride and I expect if I’d had a small/15.5″ version rather than the 17/medium I’d still have it.

Still the PA is cheaper and I would be very surprised if the difference between the on sale 725 and the new classic 853 was actually noticeable most of the time – colour scheme excepted.

mlucas666
    Free Member

Genesis Latitude 853. Lovely bike.

mdb
    Free Member

I love my Genesis Latitude

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Charge Duster? I ferkin love’s mine. Although I keep getting tempted by a Cotic Soul…

jameso

The black Pace looks fantastic.. Time for more old-school tyre sidewall options I think.

langy
    Free Member

thanks all! some other things to considr now…

smallpaws
    Free Member

Sunn Modular -had mine 18 months and I can’t fault it

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Just to throw another one into the mix, Sanderson Life?

patriotpro
    Free Member

jameso – Member
    The black Pace looks fantastic.

Agreed, very classy.

I’d say (as long as yo’re not pretentious snob) Boardman HT Pro however for sheer PfPP.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘120mm hardtails: whats the bike du jour at mo?’ is closed to new replies.