Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 120mm+ forked, hardtail frame advice needed…
  • lovewookie

having been a long term fan of xc bikes, but liking the ability to stuff up a line or too with 120mm+ forks I’m considering a change to something that’ll take a longer fork.

I currently have an old Cannondale with 100mm lefty, would like something not too lardy (<4.5lb, so probably alu)and capable of taking a 120-140mm fork.

Also, nothing with silly slack angles, while I’m sure they have their place, it’s a bit of a culture shock to someone used to 71deg head angles! 69 would probably be about right (fnarr..) and it’ll need to be long in the top tube (24″ minimum for a large)

Would need to be cheaply cheap if at all possible (I know, moon on a stick)

any thoughts?

epicsteve
    Free Member

The large Cotic Soul has a 24″ top tube, is 4.4lbs and should meet all your criteria except possibly for cheapness.

foxyrider
    Free Member

How about the Kinesis XC120 🙂

lovewookie

I had a mk1 soul before, nice bike, ran it with 100mm fork and it was ace. That was a few years ago when 100mm forks were still considered slightly longer than you need on an xc bike…

I also ran it with a 105mm stem, which in this day is quite long. I’d be concerned that running a longer fork would mean the reach (read: plumb line through BB to horizontal distance to centre of head tube) would decrease. If I were to run a longer fork I’d probably want to run 90-100mm stem at most, meaning the bike would probably feel a bit short.

The maxlight 120 looks good, but is quite short in top tube from what I can tell.

ta

shortcut
    lovewookie

Shortcut, thanks, but I think £300 for a used Soul if a bit much.

cheers.

shortcut

Make me an offer.

lovewookie

well, my old one, with new decals and a nice powdercoat went for £170 (I know!), but I feel you’re angling for more than that.

Anyway, this is an idea at this stage, I may end up doing something with the ‘dale, depends upon approval from the wife…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve a 456 I’m thinking of selling in either XC or freeride guises

18″ frame
    Magura menja forks (130mm)
    DT4.2 rims/shimano XT hubs
    XT (ish) drivetrain
    XT levers, goodridge hoses, XTR callipers (180/160mm rotors)
    Nukeproof wide/flat bars
    PRO 60mm stem
    Thompson elite seatpost
    SDG Bel air saddle
    double and bash (22-36-gammut bash) gearing, although I’ll swap to a tripple if you fancy.
    FSA MX headset

Or swap bit out for:
    hope XC hubs with mavic EN321 rims (+£30)

Marzocchi z1 RC2 (the orange aniversary ones) and a 20mm front hub with en321 rim. (worth about the same as the Menja’s and a normal wheel)

203/185mm rotors (+£30)

Choice of tyres.

£695 ?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Bought my Dialled PA frame second-hand for £150 as a bit of an experiement a few months back.

I like it and want to get the newer, lighter version so will be selling the current one soon (probably) – if it sounds interesting, make me an offer. 🙂

nickc

would like something not too lardy (<4.5lb, so probably alu)and capable of taking a 120-140mm fork.

Chameleon.

jonb
    Free Member

Carbon 456?
    Something from Chumba (HX1?)
    Ragley mm bop (I think that’s the aluminium one) they were going to do a less burly one too but still might be heavy.
    IIRC you can get a standard inbred to take 130mm forks but again it may be too heavy.

nickc

Has anyone got an HX 1, they do look nice

hambl90
    Free Member

Just built a cove handjob with 120mm forks and it rides superb

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Nik – slack angles are where its at. Take your old ‘dale and stick something obscenely long on it. If you get a fork with adjustable length, you can wind it back down for climbing/traversing.

I’ve been running 140mm Thors on my Thorn Raven for a year or so and it works a treat.

(and then buy Pimp’s Prince Albert)

rudedog
    Free Member

yep – Cove Handjob would be perfect for a 120mm fork – can pick them up second hand for between £150-200.

bent_udder
    Free Member

A bit leftfield, but I’ve got a Singular Hummingbird (the 69er / 26er) with Magura MD120s on the front. It’s *sweet*. I’m sure you could run gears on it as well, if you really wanted – the guides are all there, as is the rear hanger:

Singular Hummingbird by bent udder, on Flickr

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘120mm+ forked, hardtail frame advice needed…’ is closed to new replies.