Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • 11-speed Shimano Alfine
  • -m-
    Free Member

500-600g doesn't sound like masses of difference

Is this a kind of physicists' 'in joke' 😉

avdave2

I've never really noticed the balance issue but then I tend to keep both wheels on the ground. With suspension forks on my bike the point of balance is pretty much the same as a rigid bike with conventional gearing.

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

as a newbie, yesterdays ride was the first in real filthy conditions, several times the rear mech (xt) didn't change when i asked it to so i had to click again, then a minute later it changes on it's own. front mech (lx) wouldn't change up once it had got clogged in middle or granny. when i came to a halt on steep accents i couldn't rotate the pedals backwards for a good starting position because the jockey wheels were clogged. on top of that i was probably carrying the extra weight equivalent to 4 rohloffs on each wheel in mud. it was a good day for thinking about hub gears.

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Why cant they just do it properly? Define a new BB size

+1 (i'd be at the front of the queue)

allmountain76
    Free Member

Wonder when it will be possible to preorder, i'm sold. I've only just converted to Alfine 8 and i love it but just missing a few more top end gears.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Well, I've just ordered a IO iD with 8 speed Alfine; I reckon they'll be bloody expensive next year at 11 speed. Will upgrade to the 11 speed job as an when I wear the original out in a few years…..

allmountain76
    Free Member

£300-£350 for the hub, £70 for the build up, £100 back for my old Alfine kit. I'm happy at that compared to £800 for a Rohloff!

mikertroid
    Free Member

What chain do you use as a spare on the 8 speed alfine?

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

chain; I use a 3/32 KMC singlespeed chain, but you can use any 9sp
    gearing; I *believe* that they recommend a minimum 2:1 between chainring and cog to avoid over-torquing the box, although I've seen people run lower and haven't yet heard of anyone breaking one. This would give you a lowest gear of about 26 on the Alfine 8 or about equal to 32/32 so not granny gearing according to Sheldon.

my question for you alfine mountainbikers (mine is on a tourer). how is the gear changing on the trail, especially changing down while climbing? The feeling I get is that it doesn't really change under load, does this require more technique than changing deurallier gears under load?

lardman
    Free Member

It does require a bit of a shift in gear changing technique. BUT, not that much.
    Only occasionally do i ever have to think about chain torque to get it to shift.

And only very occasionally do i ever have to think about cleaning my bike to get it to work. Which is the real story for me.

Cant wait till I can get to 11.

MicArms

Must admit, after last night's night ride in some of the worst conditions I have ever encountered in the Wyre, I am seriously considering an Alfine. Even popped into the LBS to try a Genisis IO out. When are they going to be releasing the 11 speed one then?
    D'oh! reread 1st page.. sept 2010…..

BlobOnAStick

Mick

You may recall a couple of weeks ago we met in the carpark of the Duke on the Wednesday night (17th I think) I was on a green IO ID that night.

With the Bonty ACX tyres on, the bike hardly missed a beat in the muck that night – only when it became so deep you couldn't walk properly anyway.

I can ony add to the chorus of voices that are recommending it.

If you fancy meeting up so you can take it out in th eofrest then drop me a line.

Ben

MicArms

Cheers for the offer Ben. The mud last night was thick liquid ( like pedlling through syrup) but as soon as it touched the frame/ gears it just froze solid. We had 3 stops to try and chip the mud off and get a useable gear.

glenh
    Free Member

I must say that I really like the idea and the price is pretty good too.

I'm not really bothered by the extra weight in itself, but I don't think I would like an extra Kg at the end of my swingarm – that's nearly a whole extra wheel and won't translate into great suspension performance.

Not a problem for hardtail riders of course, and I like to give it a go on my FS, to see how much difference it makes.

BlobOnAStick

Aye, I've been on the Malverns when the mud has frozen on the deraileurs so I couldn't change gear. No such problem with the Alfine to date.

Did it freeze your chain as well then?

Must have been a chilly night! was the mud syrupy because it was on the point of freezing?

18bikes

We've got an email folder to save peoples addresses until we get preorder prices/details. [get in touch if you want?

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

glenh – I don't think I would like an extra Kg at the end of my swingarm – that's nearly a whole extra wheel and won't translate into great suspension performance

I wouldn't have thought it would have any effect on suspension performance as it's unsprung weight but stand to be corrected.

i want an 11 speed, was going to make a hardtail but having ridden full sussers for the first time last sunday and ridden full suss and hardtail back to back at cannock on wednesday i'm now thinking full sus alfine.

with a better range and price more comparable with derailleurs i wonder if any manufacturers will consider making full sus alfine models?

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

as there's much speculation and not much in the way of facts about the extra weight of an alfine bike over conventional 3×9 set-up i decided to do some digging.

i've just had an email from charge bikes and it says,

"There is virtually no difference in overall weight (less than 100g from memory), between a duster 8 and equivalent priced duster with conventional gearing."

obviously there is a rearward weight shift with the alfine but this answers any overall weight questions.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Having done 2 rides on my new io ID with Alfine..

It's fantastic!

Simple, fab handling, jumps well and changes instantly….

unless downshifting under load. You have to back off a bit and it's all fine.

Loving the new simple ride…

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

Stu McGroo. I did some maths and came up with a difference of about 5-600gr between alfine and xt 3×9. But XT 3×9 is probably more expensive, I expect Charge are comparing with Deore, which would make sense to me price and weight wise. Plus Alfine gearing (even A-11) cant replace 3×9 mountain gearing, the range isn't yet broad enough (about good enough for 2×9 though) Rolhoff does but is half kilo heavier than Alfine (and 4 times the price, near enough)

as for unsprung weight, that's the kind you want to avoid, as it happens, which is why a few niche companies have been experimenting with mounting rolhoffs in the frame, something that I hope to see someone do to an Alfine soon enough.

Still, I have an Alfine 8 and like it. Alfine 11 with no weight added has got to be a move in the right direction, I wonder if the A-8 will be lighter for '11?

I'm severely tempted to try one on an MTB (I have one on my touring bike) but don't really have the spare rack space atm (Mrs Facist insists it's one-bike-out-one-bike-in from now on…… 🙄 ) perhaps I could just get a wheel and cheekily swap it out on my SS… just for a try out like

Mister-P
    Free Member

I rode an iO ID properly off road for the first time last weekend at Glentress and was surprised how good it was. I did worry the backend would slam into stuff as I am not the most delicate on a bike but I adjusted almost instantly and it was fine. I am definitely in the queue for an 11 speed hub even though I am not sure what to fit it to.

Del

I am definitely in the queue for an 11 speed hub even though I am not sure what to fit it to.

that's the spirit! 😆

soma_rich
    Free Member

I really want to get one £350 isnt too bad But I wouldnt want to pay much more than that!

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

freegan bikefascist you're probably right, nl was specific about "equivalent priced". it's not realistic to compare alfine to top end 3×9 as there would be a huge price difference and therefore have completely different customer base.

as for unsprung weight i agree, there's no point having suspension then have loads of weight the wrong side of it. my point to glenh was that i'd doubt it would have much effect on the way the suspension operates, several hundred grams may have shifted to the rear wheel but this is nothing compared to the biggest moving mass on the bike i.e. the rider, who could weight anything from 50-110 kg (4-9 times the weight of the bike itself), that's a hell of a lot of range for a suspension system to cope with nevermind the fact that it's not fixed in one place.

personally i'm less concerned about the range, as long as i can gear 1st to match a 3×9 1st i'd be happy, it would mean i'm missing my 3 highest gears but i only ever use those on down hill road sections, though i think the gaps are slightly bigger on the 11 (not so keen on that) so i'd actually only lose my top 2 ratios.

anyway, only 6 months to wait, i need to get some bits together!

imn

Alfine 11 + Gates belt drive for me please

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

Stu McGroo

as long as i can gear 1st to match a 3×9 1st i'd be happy

indeed. apparently (I've never seen it in their literature though) shimano insist on a minimum 2:1 ratio (chainring : sprocket) to avoid over torquing, which on an A-8 would give a 26" gear or about middle chain ring and lowest on the cassette so you lose a gear or two from the bottom compared to 3×9. Not sure of the gearing on the A-11 whether the extra breadth is at the top or the bottom. That said, I have met plenty of people who have broken the 2:1 rule with impunity, in fact I've personally yet to meet anyone who's managed to break an Alfine, although I'm sure it must be possible

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

surely the 'average' rider puts out arround half to 2/3 of the torque of a roadie/XC racer, therefore the 'average' rider could get away with 33%-50% lower gearing?

james-o
    Free Member

we've had no issues on the 8spd at about 1.8:1. you could go lower if you spin rather than haul, as it's about overall torque loads not just the gear ratios; the 2:1 limit is shimano's way of ensuring it's as strip-proof as can be under a powerful rider. we'll look after anyone who has any issues with the iO ID as we spec it that way (yet had none in 3 years plus now), but aftermarket hubs will be covered by shimano's warranty only so bear that in mind if gearing it really low.

James / Genesis

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon

true enough, however Shimano have (up until now at least) always marketted this hub in their "comfort" line rather than giving it any hoon-ey or race-y pretensions. I'm very interested to see where they take this as it's the market developing this product, normal guys buying the hub and doing things with it that it's not really intended for rather than Shimano themselves.

Once (or perhaps now) they see potential in the MTB market aswell then that can justify more research leading to better product then we're away

balfa
    Free Member

Can anyone vouch for how the bearings hold up over time in the Alfine hubs? I assume they are still crappy cup and cone. Only had bad experiences with other Shimano hubs. Are they easy to maintain on the Alfine?

pypdjl
    Free Member

The bearings in mine have died after about a year, unfortunately the races in the hub are pitted, so it is somewhat terminal, going to keep running it until it dies completely though.

james-o
    Free Member

"I assume they are still crappy cup and cone. "

they're good quality cup and cone and servicable, gimme cup and cone over bearings any time. bad experiences often to come from lack of servicing or poor adjustments, i've had 3 years + out of a deore rear hub with only 2 yearly clean-outs.

the only issues i've seen with alfine hubs are the bearings – people think the entire hub is service free, ride it and jet wash it for 18mths, then find that the bearing races are shot. the gearing is low maintenance but the bearings still need re-greasing now and then like any cup/cone hub.

mikertroid
    Free Member

It gets better, the internals need servicing every 2 years/5000kms according to the manual.

Happy happy days!

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

just noticed that 18 bikes are taking pre-orders on 11 speeds at £375 and £55 for the shifter. tried to paste a link but it ain't playing ball.

LordOnOne
    Free Member

Pre-ordered mine from Nirvana recently. I wasn’t sure what size sprocket to get? The gear range has been increased but is that increase at the higher or lower end? Or both? BikeMagic seems to suggest the increase is at the lower end which means we would need a smaller sprocket or bigger chainring than the 8-speed Alfine to move the range into useful ratios?

"The existing eight-speed Alfine has a gear range of 306%, a Speedhub offers 526% and the new 11-speed Alfine will come between the two at 409%. To put that into context, eight-speed Alfine is roughly equivalent to an 11-34 cassette, while the 2011 unit would be 11-45. Obviously you can tweak the chainring and sprocket sizes to move that range into useful ratios."

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Reckon hub gears are the future but we need something between Alfine spread of gearing and Rohloff price for off road.

Farticus

Ran a Rohloff for a winter, but eventually sold it on. Two reasons:
    1. Weight at the back made it feel very unresponsive. But this might be a combination of (a) my lack of any technique other than 'hold on and plough through' and (b) I compared it to a SS set-up (same bike, just a Rohloff / 819 wheel vs. DMR Revolver / 819 wheel).
    2. Soul-destroying drag in 1-7. Now, it *might* be no worse that a dirty normal set-up, but it was a lot worse than a dirty SS set-up. But far, far worse than that was the noise – it was just so depressing to hear it that I nearly always just wanted to get off and push instead.

Now, if the Alfine can run silently I'd be interested at the prices being quoted. But really, we need this sort of technology brought to the BB area IMHO, as others have said.

Del

if the Alfine can run silently

my 8 speed does and has no noticeable drag.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Isn't the rolhoff more like 2×7 than the alfines 1×8/11? The extra drag coming from the second 2 speed gearbox?

Come on shimano, get with the gearbox program, We want american sized BB's with gears built in!

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘11-speed Shimano Alfine’ is closed to new replies.