Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 11-28 cassette for XC racing?
  • pixelmix
    Free Member

I don't think I use my 34 or 32t cogs too often. Thinking of changing to 11-28 for my XC race bike. Will save a few grams (shorter chain, smaller cogs) and gives closer ratios. Thoughts? Do-able?

Smee
    Free Member

Stick a shorter cage mech on it too.

schmiken

I use a 12-27 and it's great! The difference in weight between an XT 11-34 and a Dura Ace 12-27 is substantial….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    simondbarnes

Worked fine back in the olden days.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

what schmiken said…

and there's really no need for a 32/such a wide cassette for racing. if your in that gear you'll be quicker walking/running!

pixelmix
    Free Member

Great, thanks folks. Reassuring. This is my do it all bike, but even when pootling around with my mates I find that I'm not really in anything below third.

Well I definitely need a new mech? I have a mid cage X-0 and really don't want to shell out cash replacing that too since I'm on a tight budget.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

You don't need a new rear mech and a medium cage x0 will be fine.
    Ultegra 12-27 is much better value than Dura Ace and still lighter than an XTR 12-32.

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

If you're only using the bike for racing, what about a 1×9 set up?

I race with a 36 tooth front ring and an 11-34 cassette. it will work out lots lots lighter (I took off about 500g) and cheaper too as you get to sell all the bits you take off!

pixelmix
    Free Member

Thanks again. I've spotted an SRAM PG-950 on Evans. Reckon it will work out around 100g lighter than my current setup, and sensible money too.

As this is my only MTB at the moment, I'll still need to keep the triple. I do fancy building a race hardtail next year though, and definitely like the idea of a 1×9 or 2×9 for that. I like the idea of simple, reliable bikes.

rolfharris
    Free Member

I used that on my day to day bike- it was fine. Not ideal for really big mountain days but it's OK.

pixelmix
    Free Member

My (very shiny) new 11-28 SRAM PG-950 arrived today. Bunged it on the scales out of interest, and it is about 200g lighter than my old Shimano PG-50 11-34. That's a nice cheap way to save weight! Will take it for a spin at the weekend, but reckon I'll get on pretty well with it. Thanks again for the feedback.

dobo
    Free Member

used a 12-27 ultegra no probs, though i think i prefered a single ring setup with a 11-34, that said i'm currently on double, i just cant decide which is best 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

Used to use a 12-26 Ultegra with a standard tripple up front, just about doable on a day to day basis, but great for racing especialy the closer gearing.

oldgit
    Free Member

Going back to that in 2010. As it only gets used for xc and racing and the fact I need new cassette, chain and tyres I reckon I can save near on 2lb.

jonb
    Free Member

Interesting, given that I currently ride everywhere on 32:18, 22:28 might be more than adequate for races.

madone
    Free Member

I've been using 12-27 cassettes for a while on my MTBs with a fairly standard 22/32/44 triple setup.

I find on most bikes with a mid cage mech I can get the chain to be the exact right length IE when the chain is in small and small it just doesn't rub and in big and big it's just long enough.

So to me it means there's no waste I guess 🙂 plus it's light especially my Dura Ace one.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘11-28 cassette for XC racing?’ is closed to new replies.