Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 10speed 36 tooth front ring?
  • ukmgranger
    Free Member

Hi all,

I have just recently replaced my 44 tooth front ring with a bash guard, but I am now feeling that I need to get a larger middle ring as the 32 tooth ring is making me spin out a little(SLX chainset on Orange Five Pro).

I’m having trouble finding a 10 speed specific 36 tooth ring though, and from what I have read, the 9 speed rings don’t quite work properly.

Any advice?

rj
    Free Member

I’m using a Hope 36T ring which works fine. Rings with ramps and pins to help shifting have a tendency to try to derail the chain when you shift at the back, as I found when I tried to run a Deore up front.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

I just built a 1×9 as my first geared bike in about 4 years. Its a 36t ring on the front and 11-34 rear and I can’t believe the gear range. Its huge. Dont see any point in 2×9 really other than the fact the weight is already there in the front mech to keep the chain on.

If you find thats not enough i have one suggestion – learn to spin the freaking pedals!

ukmgranger
    Free Member

Sorry yesiamtom, I’m clearly not as super epic as you!

I should have probably made it clearer that I am running 2 x 10, so I don’t think that the Hope ring would work?!?

Got told at the LBS that a Race Face ring that they had in wouldn’t work with 10 speed, so still no closer.

I honestly thought that 2 x 10 was more popular than this?!?

mboy
    Free Member

9 speed rings will work fine, whoever has told you otherwise doesn’t really know what they’re talking about.

Running 24/36/bash here on one of my bikes with a 10 speed setup, and it’s all good. There are others on here doing similarly, and I spent a while researching the net and asking on here before hand too to see if it would work. It does!

EDIT: I’m using 9spd Raceface rings as that’s what I had lying around in my toolbox spare, but I’d just buy a cheapo steel Deore 36T ring if I had to buy one. They last longer than pretty much everything else, and the big thing you notice when you go to dual, or even worse single, ring setups is that the chainrings wear faster than with a triple up front.

composite
    Free Member

I run a 9speed 36tooth on my 10 speed slx/xt drive chain, it works as well as the 10 speed 32 ring that it replaced.

You have to be careful with a 36 on a Five though. If only running one chain ring then they are fine, but if you are still running a granny there is a big chance that it will foul the pivot when changing up/down. People seem to either use an extra spacer on the bottom bracket or just keep letting it hit the pivot until its wears away a few mm so that it stops hitting the pivot. 🙂

ukmgranger
    Free Member

@compsite – thanks for that info re the Five! Hadn’t considered that at all.

@thomthumb – thanks for the link – that is exactly what I have been looking for!

faz083
    Free Member

the renthal rings are 8/9/10 I think.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘10speed 36 tooth front ring?’ is closed to new replies.