Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • 100 days until the Kielder 100
  • Roo
    Free Member

How’s peoples training going?

I’m fitter than I was last year so will hopefully finish it. Need to start doing some 50+ miles rides and possibly shed a few more pounds.

uplink
    Free Member

2,678 miles so far this year which is around 2,600 more than this time last year so I hope to be in better shape this time

Shred
    Free Member

I’m fitter than last year, but still not sure… I am doing the Selkirk CRC sportive and mtb marathon and after that will see if my fitness is good enough to have another go.

If it isn’t, I will probably pull out and try again next year.

hillsplease

Did the 24hr solo in ‘coffin dodgers’ cat at Newcastleton 2 weeks ago but have rediscovered booze and cake. Slightly concerned that I am now losing fitness and should be in full ‘chubster’ mode by September.

Mattie_H
    Free Member

It was going pretty well but a sore back has kept me off the bike more than I’d like for the past month. Really need to step things up now…

miketually
    Free Member

Not sure how many days now, but I seem to have just entered again.

2009: Dead Flipping Last in 14 hours
    2010: 13 hours
    2011: ?

I should probably ride my bike or something.

Drac

Pah! Mrs is trying to insist I go to a possibly 18th Birthday bash for one of our God Children, so might not can get to be a dogs body. Of course I can only get to either anyway if I can get time off from work.

jonba
    Free Member

Feeling fitter than last year, probably not got in quite as many long rides. Got a respectable 8 laps at the Glentress 7. Got a sportive in a few weeks. Entered the sportive/mtb arathon selkirk combo. Got a few planned training rides (200k road ride, 75mile offroad ride at Kielder).

It’ll be fine, I actually found it easier than i thought last time. My only concern is if it is very wet and we’re out in the rain for 10 hours like the first one…

miketually
    Free Member

I did a ride in April. And, erm, in February. It’ll be ‘right.

It’ll be fine, I actually found it easier than i thought last time. My only concern is if it is very wet and we’re out in the rain for 10 hours like the first one.

I’d love to only be out for ten hours 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

How’s peoples training going?

starts today.

GEDA
    Free Member

Did my first 100 mile mountain bike ride on Friday. Happily not taxing at all. (3rd of the climbing though) What is the course like for the Kielder 100? Is it mostly hardpack forest track?

radoggair
    Free Member

What is the course like for the Kielder 100? Is it mostly hardpack forest track?

Yup, fireroad, followed by fireroad, singletrack section, fireorad, fireroad, weird passageway through trees, fireroad, fireroad, singletrack, singletrack, fireroad, puddle of doom, puddle of doom 2, fireroad, fireroad, singletrack, fireorad, singletrack, fireroad, fireroad, 100 miles, climb, awful stony singletrack, fireroad, singletrack, finish 107 miles.

Well thats how i remmeber it

Shred
    Free Member

Well, I’m out with a broken hand. Fitness was coming on but after 6 weeks on the turbo I don’t think I will be able to do this. Never understood those who can “just pitch and ride”. No way for me.

samuri
    Free Member

I might be interested in taking your entry of your hand(s) Shred…

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

I had my first session on the turbo last night so I guess thats my training now officially started… 😆

monkeychild
    Free Member

Road training will see me through 😀

funkynick

Well, I’ve gone from not riding my bike at all a couple of months ago, to now riding my bike…

That should be plenty of training I think…

Mike, you’d better watch out, I’ll be competing for last place with you!

miketually
    Free Member

Mike, you’d better watch out, I’ll be competing for last place with you!

I was an hour and a bit ahead of last place last year! I’m super fast, me.

Forge_Master
    Free Member

So far i’m doing around 2.5 hrs on the mtb 5 days a week with some interval training (if i can be arsed).

I need to start putting in some long days.

This is my first Kielder, well actually it’s my first real event and I’m a little concerned.

matth75
    Free Member

‘Loved’ it last year, but then the sun was shining & it was all rather jolly. This year I’m handing back my place as a friends wedding is clashing with the event. I’m weeping even now…
    So as far as the OP goes then – zilch, nada, nothing.
    Sob.

Bernaard
    Free Member

My first time too.

Managing to get in a 65m+ ride per week plus commuting and club rides.
    I have no doubt I can do the 100, but that niggle in the back of my head says should I be doing this.

I would be gutted if I got to a later check point and got the ‘sorry mate’

Anyone got the number for Toms field camping?

AndrewBF
    Free Member

I’m entered…

But I won’t be there 🙁

So I have an entry for sale if anyone is so inclined (and if it is possible to transfer entries – I’ve emailed the organisers, but with no response).

Simply haven’t had the time to get the training in this year. Up until May I was doing more miles per month than last year, but so far in June I’ve managed 4 (yes, F.O.U.R.) miles of riding. That is not Kielder form.

Last year was a bit of an eye opener. I’d been doing decently long (distance and time) rides around the local Peak District, but it was no where near enough to prepare me for K100. Now that I know that, there is no way I’ll be fit enough by September to do it justice this year.

postierich
    Free Member

Do people seriously train for a poxy 104 miles 😯 and aim just to finish.

wenanwhere
    Free Member

I’ve done a lot more training than last year, thought I’d better if I was going on to kayak the lake then run the lake straight after, all for a good cause though…

Can’t wait for the pacing charts to get done again, they were seriously valuable, lost count of the number of people saying ‘any idea how far the next water stop is’

10.35 last year, hoping for the same this year or quicker with some energy saving built in.

Start praying to the weather gods about now.

Matt

miketually
    Free Member

Can’t wait for the pacing charts to get done again, they were seriously valuable, lost count of the number of people saying ‘any idea how far the next water stop is’

I’ll be doing them again this year. Was a spur of the moment thing last year, but I loved seeing them all the time on the ‘race’.

miketually
    Free Member

I finally got my files copied over to my new laptop, so I could update my mileage spreadsheet*. This year’s number is worryingly small than the same number for last year and the year before, both of which were worryingly small.

*Yes, I am a geek.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Not ridden a bike for 3 weeks since realising the crash I had wasn’t without penalty, taking it easy, seeing the doc and booking to see a physio. Hoping they will tell me it is a small tear where my achilles joins my heel and it’s nothing to worry about. Give it a couple of weeks and back to normal, feel free to ride without crashing in the mean time…
    Thought I had better check before having another crash…
    Then commute like mad and ride lots, recover lots and peak perfectly for Kielder with another successful recovery ride at the Ruthin CRC marathon.
    Sorted 🙂

stevio

was going to enter till on mentioning it casually to Mrs O was reminded somewhat forcefully that she’s 50 that day and any thoughts of being on the other side of the country riding a bike race were “grounds for murder”…. so now i’m not…. 😆

radoggair
    Free Member

other side of the country riding a bike race

technically you will be in a different country at some point, so there’s your loop hole right there 🙂

D0NK

postierich – Member

Do people seriously train for a poxy 104 miles and aim just to finish.I’d guess the average ride for the average STWer is <30 or maybe even <20 so they are going to need quite a bit of training to just finish. Or “ride their bikes a lot more than usual” rather than “train” if you prefer.

Or were you being cheeky?

miketually
    Free Member

I’d guess the average ride for the average STWer is <30 or maybe even <20 so they are going to need quite a bit of training to just finish.

My modal ride is 2.5 miles and last year Kielder was my 10th ride of the year 🙂

It’s in your head, not your legs.

Shred
    Free Member

Well, I’m glad you can do that, cause I can’t. I tried last year with more training than that and got stopped half way.

D0NK

mental attitude is very important true, and well done on your slackers club training plan success last year 🙂 but surely you weren’t sedentary for the whole of the year apart from those 2 rides? (running, swimming, gym, *whispers* roadriding?) Even if you were sat on your arse all year you’re a pretty skinny bugger so you’re carrying less ballast than many 🙂

Still reckon the average STW rider (non-racer) is going to need to up their riding before the event to finish it.

miketually
    Free Member

but surely you weren’t sedentary for the whole of the year apart from those 2 rides? (running, swimming, gym, *whispers* roadriding?

I rode to work and back every day, which is 2.5 miles each way and have done for 5 years or so now. I think that gives a base on which to hang the stubbornness positive mental attitude.

terrahawk
    Free Member

of course it is. So I’m going to stop training now and just get some hypnosis the day before a race.
    In fact, my mum’s going to get hypnotised too – she’ll win for sure.

miketually
    Free Member

of course it is. So I’m going to stop training now and just get some hypnosis the day before a race.
    In fact, my mum’s going to get hypnotised too – she’ll win for sure.

Finishing is in your head. Finishing well needs the legs to back up the head.

Dyffers
    Free Member

I have an entry, and will have the fitness, but like some others above I have been told I shall be attending an Alternate Event for my missus’ birthday.

Seen as I’d already paid, I did manage to barter a pass out to SSUK 2 weeks later instead though. 😀

fasthaggis

I heard some lads chatting in the car park at the start of 10 under.

Chunky bloke 1 “You on target for Kielder then ?”

Chunky bloke 2 “Sort of ,doing a lot on my road bike …pause…it’s only a bike ride init ?”

4 hours and 3 laps later .

Chunky bloke 2 “**** that ” …puts bike in car.

I will have to look out for him in Sept 😉

Murr
    Free Member

fasthaggis a think that you might be refering to maself and a mate of mine if you are then for the record the fat bloke who went away after 3 laps u wont have to look for as he was niver gone to kielder as for maself will be there again to complete it as a said its only a big bike run ,sorry if am wrong but a said something like chunky bloke 2 at 10 under .

radoggair
    Free Member

I agree mentally that its quite tough. All of last year all i could think about doing is pulling out until about the 60 miler marker, then i got a bit more positive getting nearer the end, although the last 7 miles is probably the hardest terrain wise.

Fitness wasn’t a problem, although the event is physically very tough for everyone. I’m sure the slower paced people are in as much pain as us faster people keeping the pace going.

So, prepare yourself mentally for a really long physical day ( bring an ipod? ), and you will be in a better shape for the event

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘100 days until the Kielder 100’ is closed to new replies.