Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • 100 days until the Kielder 100
  • Roo
    Free Member

I better up my training.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

I better start my training.

PhilChap

I better start riding my bike.

Candodavid
    Free Member

wot bike??

Shandy
    Free Member

What is the total climbing involved? Did 1900m in 4.5 hours last weekend and felt alright on it, big question mark for me is fueling because I've never done such a long day before.

miketually
    Free Member

Is that all? Bugger.

miketually
    Free Member

Ride 1 mile today, 2 miles tomorrow, 3 miles on Saturday…

miketually
    Free Member

Or, 1.01 mile today, 2.02 miles tomorrow, 3.03 miles on Saturday, etc.

Then you can take the day before off. Tapering, innit.

twinklydave

Yaaaaaaaay!
    Bring it on 🙂

It'll be awesome

miketually
    Free Member

How long until we can start asking about gearing, tyres, etc?

😉

willj
    Free Member

yeah excited about this too. Skint, so hoping the gears and tyres I've got will last … bit like F1 right?

Roo
    Free Member

A KERS device might be handy though.

I believe there is about 12,000ft of climbing Shandy.

Shandy
    Free Member

4000m then, over that distance isn't too bad. I reckon I can make it round, just worried about pacing for the cut-offs and nutrition/fluids. Might invest in a wingnut, my preferred bike has no bottle mounts.

mogrim

That's about the same distance as the race I did last weekend, easy!

Just hope for all your sakes it isn't 37C like it was here…

Tracker1972
    Free Member

miketually – Member
    How long until we can start asking about gearing, tyres, etc?

Gearing? All of them of course 🙂
    Tyres? Hoping the Jones XR front that came with the bike can go back on if it is dry enough.
    My big question will be how big a bucket of Sudocrem will I need to ease the pain…

Drac

100 miles is a good old slog, not entered but going to pop over for a mingle, beers and heckle.

willj
    Free Member

A KERS device might be handy though.

And pit girls. Please.

jonb
    Free Member

Training ride on Saturday! I think this is number 3 of our organised ones. Done plenty of other miles but solo/road riding. Should be around 60-70 miles of challenging offroad around Dalby and too to the coast (hopefully not too much fireroad).

I thought we'd already done tyres? Summer tyres for hardpack/loose and fire roads as that's the majority of riding. Slip and slide on the mud.

Clothing decisions will need to wait although I have bought some dhb knowle shorts in preparation.

I'm still thinking the 20th June for a nice Kielder ride over to Newcastleton. Also I've entered the selkirk and grassington CRC marathon is anyone is going.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Ach, still trying to decide between 30lb 6" travel tank bike and batter you to bits XC HT …

trail_rat
    Free Member

I have an entry but may be moving it on . Strong possibility Will be away on work – got meeting tomorrow ..how does face value plus 15 quid sound ……..

Note last part a joke in referance to the mayhem entry the other week……i will only be looking for face value once i have conformation from work and a flight ticket….

forge197
    Free Member

jonb – I still have the 20th free if you are doing the Kielder to Newcastleton to Kielder assume via cross border route and the Bloody Bush Trail?

I have a long distance test ride on Saturday to see how I am doing training wise didn't realise is was so near 100 days doesn't seem long.

The PDS doesn't really count although long many chairlifts 🙂

My biggest concern at the moment is my dreadful climbing ability in terms of average speed I just plod up and find it hard to get up at speed, maybe I need to loose a stone 🙂

radoggair
    Free Member

100 days to go…… blimey.

Need to really start upping my game and start power training.
    tyres will be fast as hell, trust me you dont need alot of grip last year.

Bike = xc race HT altho at 10UTB my body ( or rather wrists ) was buggered next day.

If anyones interested in Scotland area might try and get 3 or 4 training rides in as a group over summer. Look at maybe road riding or can do some long days out on the bike, say 3 or 4 laps of kirro black or even Glentrool with a lap of kirro black thrown in ( makes it a 75 mile day).

forge197
    Free Member

radogair – I'd be interested in doing an off-road ride around Kirri.

I don't do road riding so big off road adventures are more where my training's at.

Hoping to do some big miles on Saturday, got a target of a 52 mile ride this month.

miketually
    Free Member

warton
    Free Member

I have a two week old son.

I have't ridden in a long time!

trail_rat
    Free Member

my training was coming along well – built up to 10utb 2 weeks ago , did 200k laden for overnight on sat and 200k unladen both with 3000m climbing on sunday last weekend

2 big ones this weekend before the biggy ….

600kms and 10000m climbing

then the plan was to hit the interval sessions

radoggair
    Free Member

trail_rat – this mean your still on for doing kielder?

With training like that you should be in with a chance of a good position?

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

It's not him you have to worry about. It's Smee.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

If I get my arse into gear next half term and start commuting, that will give me 10 miles each way. It's not very hilly but still gives me about 650 feet of climbing each way.
    Start 2 or 3 times a week + regular Wednesday ride + quick weekend ride will give me 60-80 miles a week but all in bits. Throw in a big Sunday ride or two, then do fewer but longer rides during the summer holidays and I might, just might enjoy and not just endure it.
    Only a couple of big if's in there 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

wasnt just training for keilder greig – doing the UK24s 2 weeks after kirroughtree – my last big interval session 6 x 45 hr sprints with 45mins rest between

meeting is currently going on .

at best im looking at trying to arrange it so i do my 4 on -then keilder is my middle weekend of my 2 off …

dont have much say in the matter other than "id like that does it work"

first job was at the end of september – its been brought to the 18th august now !

miketually
    Free Member

If I get my arse into gear next half term and start commuting, that will give me 10 miles each way. It's not very hilly but still gives me about 650 feet of climbing each way.
    Start 2 or 3 times a week + regular Wednesday ride + quick weekend ride will give me 60-80 miles a week but all in bits. Throw in a big Sunday ride or two, then do fewer but longer rides during the summer holidays and I might, just might enjoy and not just endure it.

That's far too much training.

No more than 200 miles a month should be a rule 🙂

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Mike, I am well within that, 85 miles last month (yes, month!) All quality miles naturally but a little saddle time would be nice, I see today is being filled productively, got a hometime yet? 😉

miketually
    Free Member

I did just over 200 last month and just under 200 this month. I'm about 40% up on this time last year 🙂

No home time yet. looking like just after 3.

willj
    Free Member

Jan 195 miles
    Feb 160 miles
    March 30 miles (!!)
    April 95 miles
    May 65 miles so far

Don't really know what's happened to my 'regime'… *goes outside to have a word with self*…

igm

Haven't been on the bike for two weeks… 🙁

Ti29er
    Free Member

It's time in the saddle on training rides that is going to count. Simply clocking up some miles is perhaps fools gold as riding up Mt Kenya is very little distance but a killer climb! You have to be quick to the 50 mile check point, which is where about 1/3 of the 203 riders failed. I'm also coming to the conclusion that time in the saddle on road rides is maybe the way to train effectively as there's no letting up on the cadence.

Don't just work on distance at the expemse of speed. Have some long days but don't go easy on your speed or you'll be sent back to Kielder at the 1/2 way point.

There are going to be a lot more riders this year, so that might get a little awkward at times – not sure quite how it'll work, but they'll have a solution. Book your accommodation if you haven't already! Consider that move to a 29er – many riders did very well on their 29ers last year (it looked like most of the UK's 29ers were lined up on the start line last September).

Perhaps go up there for a long w/end and ride the trails to better get a feel for the terrain and task? Either way, it's alreay become a legendry event and it's only its 2nd year in 2010!

Hope this helps.

Karinofnine

I was going to have a weekend off the bike as I have been doing some long rides at the weekends and long hard commute plus had a very stressful week. I understand that rest is really important, but I am really bad at it. I had just talked myself into the idea of resting, but 100 days! – that's scary! It makes the summer seem really short too 🙁

Ti29er
    Free Member

Rest is vital and over training is going backwards full-tilt. Especially the older you get, the more quality rest your body (& mind) requires. FWIW, take this w/end off as stress can put you back no end as well as your HRmax can be adversely affected; besides, the weather looks poor until Monday!

I think a few drinks can be a spanner in works too, alcohol and hard-graft training are poor bed-fellows.

tinribz
    Free Member

So (cough) these riders that fail at the 50 mile point, how do they get back to the start, is there a shuttle or something?

igm

Yep – pedal powered individual transportation style shuttle

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘100 days until the Kielder 100’ is closed to new replies.