Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • 100 Car Pile Up
  • Jamie
    Free Member

Might be worth finding a detour if going near Sheppey Crossing today.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/W38JzV0.png[/img]

Two hundred people have been injured as more than 100 vehicles were involved in a series of crashes in thick fog on the A249 Sheppey crossing in Kent.

Six of those hurt in the collisions, at about 07:15 BST, are thought to have serious injuries.

Early reports suggested up to 40 vehicles were involved, but police later said more than 100 had crashed….[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-23970047]continued[/url]

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/times_guardian/news/sheppey-crossing-5587/

will
    Free Member

Just heard this on the news. Chuffing Ell!

allthepies
    Free Member

Hope no-one’s seriously injured but given that amount of vehicles then it’s not likely.

globalti
    Free Member

Some of them even piled up on top of a lorry!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I had a couple of trips from Brizzle to Oxford this week, thankfully being driven by a fairly cautious chap. There was quite thick fog for our 45mins or so on the M4. As ever, the way people drive in fog…tailgating, speeds, no-indicator manoeuvres, etc etc – just staggering.

Hopefully everybody makes it home alive from there today. 😐

bigG
    Free Member

Jings, sounds like a terrible incident. Can only hope never to be involved in something like that. Doesn’t matter how safe a driver you are, if you get hit in a multi vehicle incident like that it’s all a lottery.

G

allthepies
    Free Member

Yup, seen all that stuff before. I’m glad I don’t have to partake in the daily motorway car commute lottery anymore.

jock-muttley

Six seriously injured according to the beeb 🙁

personally I’d nick the bloody lot for “due care & attention” oh and confiscate their mobiles too …. see how many were on their phones just before …

Bet that would be an interesting statistic 👿

aracer
    Free Member

in thick fog 🙄 will drivers never learn? (that’s a rhetorical question BTW just to save you all time).

wrecker
    Free Member

There’s going to be some unhappy swampies today!

Insurers already looking for ways to wriggle out of paying up I bet.

coogan
    Free Member

Blimey. That’ll be a lot of insurance forms getting filled in.

wwaswas

ambulance chasers are using twitter to contact those involved;

@LAS_UK: Involved in the Sheppey Bridge Collision, we can help, DM us or email lasnewclaims@gmail.com #sheppey

there’s always someone prepared to go slightly lower than you thought possible, isn’t there.

aracer
    Free Member
    rogerthecat
    Free Member

@jock-muttley – I’d go for that and add in compulsory breath & drug testing too if it were up to me.

chvck
    Free Member

personally I’d nick the bloody lot for “due care & attention” oh and confiscate their mobiles too ….

So if you stopped in time but someone went into the back of you then you’d get nicked, makes sense that…

samuri
    Free Member

Imagine how many of their injuries could have been negated if they’d all been wearing helmets. It should be mandatory.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Reading the thread title I thought, “Oh, those Germans again… with their lack of autobahn speed restrictions.”

Kent? Wow.

Hope no one is too injured because ambulance access will be hard work.

edit: Saying that, the opposite carriageway is clear at least.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Some folk are just too cool or important to slow down.

Coming back to Devon on tueasday after bank holiday we drove through that crazy storm; haven’t driven in rain like that for 10+ years even if it was over and done with in 5 minutes. Anyway, we slowed down to about 35 like everyone else but there were a couple of smartarses in jag/BMW’s who seem to have the sort of technology that affords them the visibility and roadholding to steam through at 70. 🙄

Coyote
    Free Member

Some folk are just too cool or important to slow down.

I travel many motorway miles in my current role and see far too many examples of this. Not quite sure if it is really poor driving technique or just an extension of the selfish attitude displayed by many people.

Thoughts go out to the innocent drivers and passengers caught up in this. I hope that none of them are too badly injured.

project
    Free Member

Like above every driver should be tested for drink and drugs, then sent on a driver awareness course,for a day.

All claims for whiplash banned, only serious injuries to be claimed for, and all those motorbikes just be heaved over the wall into the river below, they shouldnt be allowed on busy roads in daytime working hours.

nedrapier

reminds me of a bit in one of Mike Birbiglia’s stand up shows:

“Last time I was Washington there was a hundred and twelve car pile-up on the freeway. A Hundred and Twelve cars! I can kind of understand the first…. hundred, but the last twelve are a bunch of morons! There are ONE HUNDRED CARS crashed in front of you on the freeway!”

jam-bo

Saying that, the opposite carriageway is clear at least.

no-one want to go to sheppey.

binners

and all those motorbikes just be heaved over the wall into the river below, they shouldnt be allowed on busy roads in daytime working hours.

Eh? Could you explain your ‘reasoning’* behind that statement?

* the word is used figuratively in this instance, obviously

FB-ATB

Should let the chap chap who was thinking of moving there see this, shows how desperate people are to get away from Sheppey.

zilog6128

So if you stopped in time but someone went into the back of you then you’d get nicked, makes sense that…

because using your mobile whilst driving is perfectly fine as long as you don’t cause a 100 car pile up 🙄

As others have mentioned, the standard of driving in fog/torrential rain/etc is often appalling, people make no adjustments to the conditions and often don’t even put their lights on. So glad I don’t have to do a daily drive like that. Hope the injured recover OK.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

This was clearly the work of a cyclist.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

“All you could hear was cars crashing. We got out of our car and it was eerily quiet with visibility down to just 20 yards.

“Then you would hear the screeching of brakes and then a thud. It was all you could hear for about 10 minutes – crash after crash after crash.

Actually scratch my last post, it appears to be the work of over 100 utterly incompetant drivers.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Imagine how many of their injuries could have been negated if they’d all been wearing helmets. It should be mandatory.

I’m sure people like the Bicycle Helmet Initiative Trust will be all over this. Oh, wait.

FuzzyWuzzy

because using your mobile whilst driving is perfectly fine as long as you don’t cause a 100 car pile up

Err where in his example did he say he would be using a mobile?

gwaelod
    Free Member

I await the hordes of MPs who will popping up over the next few days saying

“Obviously we shouldn’t be building any more expensive infrastructure like the Sheppey Bridge for motorists until they learn to behave properly on the roads”

D0NK

So if you stopped in time but someone went into the back of you then you’d get nicked,

so do you think 99 people stopped in time and the last one rammmed everyone into each other? Or do you think it more likely 90% were going too fast to see/stop and a few safe drivers got caught up in it? Arrest everyone whose front end is stoved in, get details, any mobile use/drink/drugs/speeding automatically goes to court then figure out who was driving safely and let them off.

zilog6128

Err where in his example did he say he would be using a mobile?

Good point, reading fail! Apologies chvck. 😀 hmmm… to ninja edit, or not… 😆

project
    Free Member

binners – Member

and all those motorbikes just be heaved over the wall into the river below, they shouldnt be allowed on busy roads in daytime working hours.

Eh? Could you explain your ‘reasoning’* behind that statement?

They weave in and out of traffic with no regard for their safety or others, cause vehicles to swerve,have absolutely no crash protection on faster roads, andf create massive bills for the nhs, when they frequently fall off.

project
    Free Member

oh and at least its taken the media and us plebs eye off the syrian g20 conflict for a few hours.

binners

Ah… ok. Phew. For a moment I thought you were going to spout a load of generalised, sanctimonious, prejudiced and ill-informed twoddle.

But clearly you’ve presented a well thought through and rational argument instead. Well done you.

chvck
    Free Member

They weave in and out of traffic with no regard for their safety or others, cause vehicles to swerve,have absolutely no crash protection on faster roads, andf create massive bills for the nhs, when they frequently fall off.

Sounds a lot like what people say about cyclists that does!

El-bent
    Free Member

Not quite sure if it is really poor driving technique or just an extension of the selfish attitude displayed by many people.

Both.

I’m out most days on the road, and it seems that driving a vehicle is at least third on the list of priorities of people when driving their vehicles. Also, having vehicles with so many safety features does seem to make people think they are invincible.

The selfish behaviour many Britons have acquired over the last few decades does tend to display it self in the way they drive.

Sounds a lot like what people say about cyclists that does!

Cyclists aren’t travelling around in a two ton box of metal.

fasthaggis

What a fantastic bit of stereotypical exaggeration ,well done 🙄

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What a nasty little thread.

freeagent
    Free Member

In other news – I think I counted 22 cyclists on my way to work this morning, my journey involves 29 miles of country lanes and fast A-roads/Dual carriageways.
    Visibility was well below 100m at quite a few points due to thick fog (Not that far from Sheppy as the crow flies)

Only 2 of these cyclists had any lights on their bike….

It isn’t just car-drivers who behave like tw*ts in the fog…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘100 Car Pile Up’ is closed to new replies.