Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 10 yrs out.new .trail bike help!!
  • fuch
    Free Member

First post so hello peps!!
    45 yrs old tubby and willing…..Now I’ve just been bought a new bike after 10 yrs from my supa wife(fit triathlete bloody impossible to keep up with)but unfortunately the girl at crc told her the bike she got me was a medium 48cm (wife did ring first to make sure) I got it on sat & it turns out it’s a large!! :(.. It was a vitus escarpe pro 2015 but it looks like they have no medium left so I’ve got a budget of around £2800 & got it down to these

Whyte t130rs. rock shox pike
    Transition scout. rock shox sektor
    Canyon spectral al 8.0. fox 34

My currant bike is a old 07 specialized epic so all of these will be better than what I’ve got!! The transition scout has a rock shox sektor gold fork is this still a good spec fork to the rest?….I’m no nutter on a bike but fairly happy at riding and scaring myself every now and then & just looking for a fun bike, I’m near woods that I ride round t& woods with dogs all the time and not to far from swinley forest so that’s the sort of riding I do..I tend to keep a bike a few years so looking for something that will stand the test of time so has anybody got the above bikes for feedback?
    ta fuch

Ps please don’t confuse me with suspention jargon as long as it works well it’s all good 😉

poey50
    Free Member

I’d eliminate the Transition Scout for the inferior fork compared to the other two.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Why not visit some bike shops and get to sit on one at least? It’s the fit, ride that’s important. Buying blind as you found out online isn’t the best way fir someone new to the sport to buy their first bike. Do research online by all means.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

I got a mate with a 130 Whyte and he loves it and I have lots of mates with Spectrals both EX versions and standard and they all love them em.
    If I was buying a spectral I would personally get the EX 7 150mm pike and 1×11 and save a few quid at £2049,I had one of these on order a while back then had a major wobble ,cancelled and bought a Capra instead.

fuch
    Free Member

Thanks for info..I’ve test ridden a whyte 150mm travel but in large as that’s all they had & loved it apart from the size & I seemed to catch the pedals a few times, low bb? I’m 5.8″ I’m hoping to get a hop on a whyte T130 next sat in a medium @ swinley so looking fwd to that also.. I love the look of that canyon to be honest but the press fit bb put me off a bit or are they reliable enough?

dubber
    Free Member

I’m in the same position as yourself , 6-7 years out and my old hardtail just cant hack it anymore (neither can my back) so looking for a 130/140 trail bike.

I’ve been looking at the vitus escarpe VRX as its very well specced for the money but obviously cant test ride one which is a pain as I’m between sizes and there’s a long delivery time on the canyon.

I’m now most likely to go for:
    Whyte T130rs or a Bird Aeris

or possibly this if you can get your size
    cube stereo

Will be interested to hear your thoughts on your test ride.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘10 yrs out.new .trail bike help!!’ is closed to new replies.