Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 10 speed wide range cassettes and mech options
  • Simon

Will a GS slx mech work OK with an 11-42 cassette without adding a Rad cage or a Goatlink?
    Would a Shimano M8000 rear mech work with a 10 speed cassette and 10 speed Shimano shifter?

shredder
    Free Member

Got a friend with the goat link on his SLX/11-42 set up works well but not quite as well as my set up which has the Rad cage (but XTR rear mech)

Simon

I’ve got a Rad cage and XT cassette with One-Up 42t expander on my Pitch and it shifts perfectly.

I’ve been 1×10 with an 11-36 on my hardtail for a while but I snapped the mech this week and the chain/cassette are very worn now. So I’ve bought a Sunrace 11-42 cassette to try.

I’m sure I saw on here someone was successfully using a M8000 11spd mech on a 10spd set up.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Did the visual check on 11-42 with an XT Mech and it was a no, just too much movement to be comfortable, got the RAD cage and it’s fine

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Yes, your slx mech will absolutely be fine with the cassette. I’ve used a few deore slx and xt, none have required special cages!

Stedlocks
    Free Member

My riding buddy is running an SLX mech with a sunrace 11-42….. Nothing special needed, just adjust the ‘B’ screw correctly

erny
    Free Member

Yes it will be fine, I run my slx mech with a über bike 42 expander and xt cassette. As others have said, adjust the B screw

mikertroid
    Free Member

What Stedlocks said.

I had to remove the plastic cap under the head of the B tension bolt so I could wind it in a bit further.

Works well.

chrishc777
    Free Member

What mike said, remove the little plastic bit under the B screw. I ran an 11-42 on GS SLX for ages. When I snapped it I went to XTR and rad cage, doesn’t need as much b tension so shifting lower down is more precise and setup is easier but yes, it will work

Simon

Thanks all, I’ll take the plastic bit off the B screw and try the standard GS SLX mech.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘10 speed wide range cassettes and mech options’ is closed to new replies.