Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 10 speed mtb chainsets on 9 speed bikes
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Looking at a new xt/xtr chainset for my 9 speed bike. Oddly, 9 speed is more expensive than 10 speed.

I’ve heard tales of it needing a new front mech or 0.6mm shims to get it working right. Anyone with experience of this?

I know some people just run it anyway but I guess I’ve a reputation for being very particular about everything being just right.

Or is it worth £30 extra to get the 9 speed?

Cheers.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Interesting. I’m asking two questions on a mountain bike forum. One about road chainsets and mtb chainsets. I’ve had some replies on the road question, but none on the mtb issue.

theboatman
    Free Member

I’m running a 10 speed double x7 crank with a mix of 9 speed XT/ slx / x5 and 9 speed x9 triple shifters, oh and a 10 speed ultegra chain. Works very sweetly, not touch it for months. Hth 🙂

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

Been running a xt 10 speed chainset with xt 9 speed shifters, mechs, and chain fot about a year now without a problem.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Shimano are just trying to get me to buy more kit then.

tymbian
    Free Member

@ sicklilpuppy…how does the spacing of a 9 speed shifter work with a 10 speed cassette?

pete68
    Free Member

@tymbian 9 speed shifter wont work with 10 speed cassette. sicklilpuppy didnt say anything about cassette.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘10 speed mtb chainsets on 9 speed bikes’ is closed to new replies.