Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 148 total)
  • 10% could not identify a sheep
  • RudeBoy
    Free Member

How so, Del? Explain please.

CountZero

Interesting thread, this. I live in a market town in North Wiltshire, population nowadays 39000. When I were a lad the town was, literaly half the size. While it’s a rural area, the town is, or was, pretty industrial, the main employer when I was at school being Westingouse Brake and Signal. Rudeboy would know about them, as they supplied brakes and signals for most of London Underground. As a result I was brought up by a dad who was an engineer, but who was born and raised in a little village about eight miles away with a population of around two hundred. As a result, I used to get taken for walks out into the countryside and be shown animals and plants and birds, an interest I still have forty years on, but I also have an interest in the wider world that is just as involving. I am appalled at the level of ignorance around, but not at all surprised. When it comes to country people being rude and unwelcoming, is anyone on here really that surprised? When you see the way that visitors behave it’s difficult to refrain from punching people in the face. They arrive thinking that a village is just some sort of fancy theme park, leave cars in totally inappropriate places blocking gateways and field entrances, allow dogs to run riot through flocks and herds, complain because their shiney car has got muddy, or they got woken up by birds making a noise, the church bells ringing, or the nearby farm smelling funny, then have the affrontery to complain to the local council and demand that the noise is stopped and the smell made to go away! FFS, what do these moronic **** expect, it’s a place where people work, with everything that entails. Trouble is, these people get away with it because they have a lot of money, they’ve just bought a farmhouse from a family who have gone bust after farming there for five hundred years and they now want everything just the way THEY want it. Can you imagine the resentment that stirs up? It’s like me moving to London then demanding the Tube line behind my house gets shut down because I don’t like the noise it makes at night. Dumb, dumber, dumbest.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Rudeboy would know about them, as they supplied brakes and signals for most of London Underground.

I did, actually! In fact, I understand most bits of tube trains are made outside London.

When you see the way that visitors behave it’s difficult to refrain from punching people in the face.

ALL visitors? I can understand the resentment towards irresponsible people, sure, but most visitors to the countryside are in fact very responsible and mindful of respecting locals.

As for respect of the places where people work; many areas are heavily dependent on tourism, for their livelihoods. And who eats the stuff farmers grow?

Mostly, people get along fine. But some (that’s ‘some’,not ‘all’), rural folk need to be mindful that it’s us city dwellers who contribute toward their livelihoods, and perhaps remember about biting the hands that feed them. IE, if I come to visit, I may spend money in hotels, B+Bs, pubs, restaurants, shops etc. This money goes towards supporting the local economy. If the locals don’t want that, then how do they expect to survive?

I think it’s often more about ‘this is moi laand, clear orf’. People don’t wanna share something nice with others, for fear of it getting fecked up. I can understand that. Not many people who pass through my ‘village’ give a toss, considering the amount of pollution, congestion, rubbish, etc. I just have to put up with it. I don’t resent ‘outsiders’ that come here, though.

BigDummy
    Free Member

People don’t wanna share something nice with others, for fear of it getting fecked up

Is that why the East End is so unwelcoming? 😉

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Heh!

It’s not that unwelcoming, BD! After all, I live here! 😀

Bunnyhop

I agree with everything you’ve written CountZero.

A wealthy towny friend of mine bought a converted barn in a rural area. Her hubby dug a huge pond and couldn’t understand why they didn’t have ducks in it. I gave up trying to explain that ducks aren’t pets and they need a pond with mature plants in. Every time we visited they moaned about the noise the sheep made and the morning dawn chorus.

However I do think it’s important for families to bring their children to the countryside, if only they would respect it and not just trundle 50 metres from the car, leave their litter and dog mess and run the car engines in the carpark’cos it a wee bit colder than they thought.

Oh and only 8% of the population have ever seen a badger.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I’ve seen Badgers, foxes, voles, deer, muntjac, rabbits, hares, many species of bird,including Kingfisher, Peregrine falcons, Sparrowhawks, Kestrels, and a ferret.

All within the M25!

And if I want farm animals, this place is only a couple of miles away:

Not all of us Townies are ignorant of nature.

juan
    Free Member

Countzero is absolutely right and makes some very valid point…

GrahamS

Oh and only 8% of the population have ever seen a badger.

I’ve seen quite a few badgers – unfortunately every single one of them has looked something like this:

Credit: EsikmoMedia

Do they come in more lively varieties?

djglover
    Free Member

Like Rudeboy I’ve seen kingfishers, owls and woodpeckers in zone 3 -4 of the tube map and a heft of other indigenous wildlife is available within zone 1-6, you don’t need to go to the countryside to see them. The country side is dull and there isn’t a great deal to do in general other than wonder round over some miserable farmers land and visit villages full of resentful locals. And don’t get me started on country pubs. Don’t you just love walking into a pub and the metaphorical tumbleweed crosses the lounge bar whilst 10 ruddy faced locals with male pattern baldness and v neck sweaters stare at you in a most unwelcoming way.

Give me a big anonymous city any day

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Give me wilderness to ride in but urban living space

djglover
    Free Member

amen to that

RichPenny
    Free Member

Some of Rudeboy’s comments are making me think of Withnail and I in the tea shop in the lakes…..

We’re going to buy this place and have it knocked down

Where I live, in a very small town in Wiltshire, the majority of businesses don’t rely at all on tourism. I Moved here from Essex 7 years ago and haven’t seen anything of the negative attitudes towards outsiders, quite the opposite in fact. I would agree with Rudeboy about the multicultural aspects though. It’s one of the few things I dislike about the place, the lack of diversity. I don’t really know how you’d encourage people from different backgrounds to move to the country though.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Don’t you just love walking into a pub and the metaphorical tumbleweed crosses the lounge bar whilst 10 ruddy faced locals with male pattern baldness and v neck sweaters stare at you in a most unwelcoming way

I’ve walked, camped and biked all over the west of the country from Devon to lochinver, I’ve been in a fair few pubs. I’ve never yet met a bunch of locals looking uninviting, I just stroll in smile and nod and order a drink. There was a time when I was paranoid and thought everyone was out to get me, fortunately these days I’ve got past that and realised that people just glance over to see the new faces. I’ve noticed I glance over at new people coming into my local. If you walk in expecting unpleasantness you’ll feed that back and you’ll get unpleasantness. IME.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Djglover, have you ever thought that your problem with country pubs might be something to do with you? Been in quite a few round here, never had any issues. If people are looking at you, they might be interested in who you are, since despite Rudeboys theories most only really see local trade. I’d recommend talking to them, that normally works 😉

The countryside is not dull, it’s beautiful. Cities are, on the whole, busy, smelly and ugly places, but fascinating all the same. There is room in my world for both.

djglover
    Free Member

Maybe you’ve never been to Gloucestershire 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

Yup, I have 😀

RudeBoy
    Free Member

The countryside is not dull, it’s beautiful. Cities are, on the whole, busy, smelly and ugly places, but fascinating all the same. There is room in my world for both.

Of course.

And in both, you will find friendly, welcoming people, as well as nasty types.

As for the tourism thing; many areas, like places near trail centres, for example, as well as places in the Lake District and National Parks and that, rely on tourism for a large chunk of their income. So, you want the coin, then you have to put up with extra numbers coming in to your little village. Or, move to a town, and get a job there. As idyllic as it may seem, to want to live amongst wilderness and nature, you’ve got to pay the bills. You can’t have it both ways.

hh45
    Free Member

most mountain bikers I know can’t tell an oak from an ash or a sweet chestnut from a beech tree, a hereford from an angus, a buzzard from a red kite and so on. There are several degrees to appreciating the countryside.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Wunundred!

RichPenny
    Free Member

You can have it both ways Rudeboy, I’ve lived in a cottage wedged between farms, about half a mile from the nearest house, at least 10 miles to the nearest town. I worked 15 miles away, I have a car 😉

The national parks are not really typical of the countryside in general. I’d agree in those areas that a lot of trade is tourism based. You have to see it from their point of view as well though. In 2012, I’d imagine that loads of people are going to make it hard for you to go about your normal business. Is that not going to nark you a bit, even if you appreciate why they are there?

Nick

I was once in london with someone from Oswestry, travelling in a cab we rounded the corner into Parliment Square – “wow look at that big clock!!!!” she exclaimed, true.

We did piss ourselves laughing at her.

Nick

I’ve never yet met a bunch of locals looking uninviting,

I’ve been in a couple in Wales where they have been openly hostile, presumably because we are English.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I’ve been in a couple in Wales where they have been openly hostile,

yeah, ironic considering I AM Welsh 🙁

notlocal
    Free Member

I have no problem with visitors to the countryside, but could all of those who bring their food in supermarket carrier bags, in the back of the car, please take the empty containers and wrappings home with them in a bin bag in the back of the car to dispose of in a proper bin; Rather than leave it to blow around the “beautiful scenery” they’ve just visited for said beauty.
    It distresses me to think that those who leave rubbish, bagged or not, at their wild campsite/picnic spot really think that someone is employed to trail after their inconsiderate a**e in a bin lorry.

I once got some disapproving looks from several Public School mummy’s boys when I re-deposited their discarded MaccyD wrappers into the sunroof of mummy’s car which they were eating lunch in.

Made my day.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

In 2012, I’d imagine that loads of people are going to make it hard for you to go about your normal business. Is that not going to nark you a bit, even if you appreciate why they are there?

No, actually! As there will be means to get about easily, apprently. And I hope to be at as many of the events as I can get to. Although I am opposed to the enormous cost, and environmental impact of the Games, they are a fact, and I’ll be proud to enjoy them, along with millions of others, in my Home Town.

Im pretty sure there’ll be a bit of mess to tidy up afterwards. Hey ho.

aracer
    Free Member

Well that puts my 2 year old ahead of at least 10% of the population!

Granted, just going for a walk needunt cost a fortune, but that seems a bit staid and boring, for many people brought up on the thrills and spills of the big city.

What exactly are these big city thrills and spills which I’m obviously missing out on?

IME, one of the key areas of ignorance I have experienced, in some rural folk, is of the diversity of ethnicity and culture, within our vast and varied society. The language skills of some I’ve met, have been woeful.

How many city dwellers actually speak any language other than English? Come to that, how many city dwellers only speak one language which isn’t English? What a bizarre example of something where country dwellers are supposedly ignorant! Of course they don’t speak another language (beyond what they might have learnt at school), but then like the vast majority of city dwellers who don’t either, they have absolutely no need to.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

How many city dwellers actually speak any language other than English?

Ooh, I’d say a million or so. In London alone. Where over 300 different languages are spoken.

I can’t speak for cities such as Leeds, Bradford, Manchester, Birmingham, etc…

aracer
    Free Member

I thought it might have been obvious that I was talking about those city dwellers for whom English was their first language 🙄

Any thoughts on how many of those people speaking other languages also speak English (I’m struggling to see what’s so great about 150,000 speaking Punjabi)?

Come to that, how’s your Gujarati, Rudeboy?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I thought it might have been obvious that I was talking about those city dwellers for whom English was their first language

Erm, you simply mentioned ‘city-dwellers’. Many of whom happen to have origins other than just British. Forgive my lack of telepathy, for not being able to see such an obvious point…

Any thoughts on how many of those people speaking other languages also speak English

Quite a large percentage, I’d say.

I’m struggling to see what’s so great about 150,000 speaking Punjabi

Yes. I can imagine you’d struggle, with such a concept. Mind-blowing, is not it? 🙄

Come to that, how’s your Gujarati, Rudeboy?

Non-existant, actually.

aracer
    Free Member

Erm, you simply mentioned ‘city-dwellers’. Many of whom happen to have origins other than just British. Forgive my lack of telepathy, for not being able to see such an obvious point…

I’m obviously forgetting that not only aren’t you telepathic, you’re also incapable of reading the context of what other people are replying to (and in this case which you yourself wrote), preferring instead to ignore that and reply simply to what other people have written in isolation.

Or when you wrote “IME, one of the key areas of ignorance I have experienced, in some rural folk, is of the diversity of ethnicity and culture, within our vast and varied society. The language skills of some I’ve met, have been woeful.” were you actually complaining about the lack of ethnic minorities in the countryside who spoke Punjabi natively? 🙄

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Back in yer box, aracer. Don’t try turning this into something it’s not. I’ve not taken anything you said out of context; you’ve simply failed to put your thoughts across propply.

The level of education in SOME rural areas can be SOMETIMES quite poor. Plus, with limited interaction with others, SOME local people fail to develop good language skills. By this, I mean they struggle to understand different dialects, and can lack the ability to communicate in a clear and effective manner, with others outside of their local community.

This is also true of SOME people who live in cities.

I’m not attacking ‘country folk’ , I’m just trying to understand why SOME resent outsiders, and why relations between Townies and rural folk can SOMETIMES be difficult. And I’ve posted some of my own observations and opinions. OK?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

If it’s any help, I have some Gujarati:

ek, bey, tron, char, panch = 1,2,3,4,5
    cobis mattu = cabbage head – which may be appropriately applied to RudeBoy and aracer

GrahamS

RudeBoy, most of your opinions seem to be that of someone who has never left the “safety” of the Greater London metropolitan area.

Likewise some of the other posters seem never to have visited a city.

I suspect those of us in Scotland and “the North” may have an easier time of this because “the city” and “the countryside” are not separated by a three-hour drive, hence it would be really very unusual for someone up here to have never seen a sheep.

Del

as far as i can tell RB you have simply fallen back on the stereotypical view of country folk as straw chewing ‘yokels’. obviously as a highly educated ‘city dweller’ you are the very pinnacle of sophistication, as your observation that ‘city folk’ could adapt to life in the country far better than ‘yokels’ could adapt to life in the city, ably demonstrates.
    using quotation marks does not make prejudicial frames of reference any more palatable or justifiable, nor does use of the phrases IME or IMO, or reducing things to ‘us’ and ‘them’, despite all your ‘can’t we just get along’ claptrap.
    in MY experience, treat as you find, and would expect to be treated, and most people can get along with most others, in most normal life situations.
    people are all the same, with differences. 🙂
    anyway, i’m getting back to the bike forum, where i belong..

RudeBoy
    Free Member

No no no…

I’m NOT stereotyping ALL rural folk; please read my posts propply.

GrahamS; when I was growing up, I would stay with relatives in a small village in Cornwall. Have been there many times. I’ve also been to several rural areas of Britain, including Wales, the Lakes, Yorkshire Moors, etc, etc.

Notice that I wrote ‘SOME’, in capital letters, to emphasise that I am not generalising about ALL country folk!

‘city folk’ could adapt to life in the country far better than ‘yokels’ could adapt to life in the city,

Yes, I believe many could, actually. City life is far less routine than a fair amount of rural daily life, such as farming. And there is a lot more intellectual stimulus to be found in large metropolitan areas. Likewise, rural life can enable an individual to develop a more finely tuned understanding of nature and ability to cope with the environment they are in. and the ability to be able to identify sheep.

I have friends who come from rural areas. Who tell me about the narrow-mindedness and ignorance of some people they’ve known in these areas. So, from the Horse’s mouth, as it were.

And, coming from an inner-city area, I can vouch for the ignorance, bigotry and narrow-mindedness of many people here.

GrahamS

Notice that I wrote ‘SOME’, in capital letters, to emphasise that I am not generalising about ALL country folk!

Granted, but when you say it in the context of:

The level of education in SOME rural areas can be SOMETIMES quite poor.

then you are implying that this is a discriminator between rural and city education. Which fails to acknowledge that SOME inner city schools rank very poorly indeed and that many rural schools outperform city schools.

IdleJon

I’ve never yet met a bunch of locals looking uninviting,

I’ve been in a couple in Wales where they have been openly hostile, presumably because we are English.

Are you sure? Without knowing where you were or how you were acting, it’s difficult to comment, but I’ve never had a problem with taking English friends anywhere in Wales. Obviously, if you were wearing an England football shirt and went into the Ninian Arms in Cardiff on match day, for instance, you might be ready for some aggro, but that would be a separate issue.

From recent experience though, if a group of loud English people walk into a pub in Wales and act like hooray henrys then they are likely to incur some hostility.

juan
    Free Member

From recent experience though, if a group of loud English people walk into a pub in Wales and act like hooray henrys then they are likely to incur some hostility.

That appears to be working is you change wales for Nice, Spain, Poland or any other low cost destination.

aracer
    Free Member

The thing is, Rudeboy, given your observations could equally apply to SOME city folk living in SOME urban areas, and that there are plenty of country people who don’t conform to your stereotype, your observations are essentially worthless!

FWIW I’ve always been a country person in a way – where I grew up I could see sheep from my bedroom window, despite the fact I lived in a town. Have lived in three cities though – one of them being London – and the town I grew up in was just on the edge of London, so I visited there extensively. I feel reasonably well qualified to comment therefore (and rather better than people who’ve never lived outside a city, only visited)!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 148 total)

The topic ‘10% could not identify a sheep’ is closed to new replies.