Viewing 28 posts - 121 through 148 (of 148 total)
  • 10% could not identify a sheep
  • smiffy

The King makes good point, you make your own welcome in a country pub. My local is quite remote, being a couple of miles from a classified road road in a village that is population 5 in two addresses.

We all look forward to some new company, and often chat with visitors to the area when they pop in.

But plenty walk in and won’t make eye contact, won’t return the time of day, won’t chat to the Landlord and then sit down with their backs to everyone. Then there’s the **** cavers (don’t get me started…)

These are probably the people who get to work on Monday morning with tales of The Slaughtered Lamb etc.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

your observations are essentially worthless!

I feel reasonably well qualified to comment therefore!

So, because you fail to see the point I was actually making, and instead only see what you want, you are ‘well qualified to comment’?

GrahamS; my point about education in some rural areas, would also apply to that in some urban areas too. But the kids in the cities do have more access to many more forms of intellectual stimulus, and opportunity for interaction with other people, than their rural counterparts.

Oh, and FWIW; most of my experiences of rural areas have been fantastic, and I’ve encountered some really lovely people.

Del

indeed. and some of my best friends are gay. 🙄

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    GrahamS

GrahamS; my point about education in some rural areas, would also apply to that in some urban areas too.

If it applies equally to both then why only make it about one?

But the kids in the cities do have more access to many more forms of intellectual stimulus, and opportunity for interaction with other people, than their rural counterparts.

What “intellectual stimulus”? Do you honestly think the city kids are busying their weekends visiting art galleries and going to the theatre?

And do you think that “rural” kids never leave “the countryside” or visit a city?

I’d guess that it is probably far more common for a rural dweller to visit their local city for the day than it is for a city dweller to visit the countryside. A guess that is apparently backed by this (dubious) report.

I reckon that all but the most insular of “rural dwellers” would still be able to identify the equivalent city flora and fauna.
    I can’t imagine a similar posting with:

– 10% of country folk can’t identify a Starbucks.
    – 22% of rural adults could not identify a mad tramp. 1 in 10 thought he was was a telephone box.
    – Two-thirds didn’t understand a pedestrian crossing.
    – 32% referred to the underground train as “the metal worm”.

aracer
    Free Member

So, because you fail to see the point I was actually making,

You’ll need to point it out to me a bit better. I thought your point was that the language skills of some rural folk are pretty woeful, which was an example of a key area of ignorance. Did you mean something totally different from what you actually wrote?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

What “intellectual stimulus”? Do you honestly think the city kids are busying their weekends visiting art galleries and going to the theatre?

Loads, GrahamS; come on, you know what I’m on about. And yes, many city kids are involved in something stimulating on a weekend. There’s loads of yute projects and activities on offer; come down, and I’ll show you some. I’ve got friends in Yute Work, who’d be only to happy to show you what work they do with kids.

Stop being so black and white about this.

GrahamS

Yeah, but there are loads of youth projects available to rural kids too. Though admittedly they are more aimed towards actually educating and entertaining the kids, rather than just keeping them off the streets and away from knives and drugs 😛

Stop being so black and white about this.

Man it always comes back to race with you doesn’t it? 😆

Anyway, I’m not. I’m simply disagreeing with your polarised views. I’ve lived in big cities, moderate towns and little villages. I see the spectrum.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Though admittedly they are more aimed towards actually educating and entertaining the kids, rather than just keeping them off the streets and away from knives and drugs

Of course, you’re such an expert on Yute Work in an inner city, aren’t you (I’ve worked in this field myself,and know what really goes on, not just what you watch on telly)?

Cheezuz…

Man it always comes back to race with you doesn’t it?

Yeah, course it does. Must be this chip on my shoulder, eh?

Maybe it’s ‘cos I’ve never lived in the country. That must be why I’m so ignorant about everything, of course.And why you’re sooo clever, eh?

Please, try to read things propply, before commenting.

aracer
    Free Member

RudeBoy – Member
    Please, try to read things propply, before commenting.

pot calling kettle, pot calling kettle, do you read me?

GrahamS

Chill RudeBoy, you are far too easy to tease. Remember your blood pressure. (Must be all that city stress)

My point was, you were giving a one-sided example again and by doing so you were implying that only city kids get access to “many more forms of intellectual stimulus” from youth projects. Which simply isn’t true.

Maybe it’s ‘cos I’ve never lived in the country. That must be why I’m so ignorant about everything, of course.And why you’re sooo clever, eh?

Or maybe it’s because your “I’m a cockney: London is the greatest place in the world and everywhere else is shit” attitude sometimes clouds the opinions that you express here.

And I’m not claiming to be sooo clever. I’m just pointing out that claiming the country is full of uneducated yokels isn’t a fair statement.

Trimix
    Free Member

You cant beat a good stereotype !

RudeBoy
    Free Member

My point was, you were giving a one-sided example again and by doing so you were implying that only city kids get access to “many more forms of intellectual stimulus” from youth projects. Which simply isn’t true.

Nope. You’ve mis-quoted me. again.

“But the kids in the cities do have more access to many more forms of intellectual stimulus, and opportunity for interaction with other people, than their rural counterparts.”

See?

i don’t mind a discussion, but please refrain from deliberately mis-quoting me, and taking my comments out of context. You are intelligent enough to understand my comments propply (unlike someone else..), and you will know that I have stated certain facts, and made some good points.

The whole point was to discuss issues of misunderstanding between rural and urban folk. I think this has now run it’s course.

Or maybe it’s because your “I’m a cockney: London is the greatest place in the world and everywhere else is shit” attitude sometimes clouds the opinions that you express here.

You’re just being a Silly Billy, now….

aracer
    Free Member

You are intelligent enough to understand my comments propply (unlike someone else..)

The someone else, presumably being somebody who you don’t deign to reply to any more because you haven’t worked out how to answer without digging yourself a hole?

please refrain from deliberately mis-quoting me

Pot appears to be on the loose again.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but please refrain from deliberately mis-quoting me, and taking my comments out of context.

are these not standard rhetorical techniques ?

I have stated certain facts

say rather ‘posited certain hypotheses’. Facts may exist but we only have our own subjective interpretations of events

GrahamS

Me? Misquote? I hardly think that’s likely…

The whole point was… You are intelligent… and made some good points.

urban folk… do have more… intelligent… interaction with other people
    and you will know… I have stated… kids in the cities have more… intellectual… issues… and… I think… Silly… urban folk… have… a… misunderstanding… of… their rural counterparts.

😛

BigDummy
    Free Member

– 10% of country folk can’t identify a Starbucks.
    – 22% of rural adults could not identify a mad tramp. 1 in 10 thought he was a telephone box.
    – Two-thirds didn’t understand a pedestrian crossing.
    – 32% referred to the underground train as “the metal worm”.

Sorry to backtrack a bit. But I larfed at this, thank you.

😆

RudeBoy
    Free Member

LOL!

Nice one Graham…

BigDummy
    Free Member

And do the yute in Laaahndaaaahn not need Yute Projects to give them something to do rather than raping old ladies and dealing smack? I was under the impression that yokel yute didn’t need yute clubs because they went fishing, learnt to recognise various sorts of trees, got off their tits on strong organic cider etc.

😉

Nick

I’ve never yet met a bunch of locals looking uninviting,

I’ve been in a couple in Wales where they have been openly hostile, presumably because we are English.

Are you sure?

No, I just made it up, I was imagining it when I was followed into the toilet and they ‘joked’ about the ‘fcking’ English.

Without knowing where you were or how you were acting, it’s difficult to comment,

But you will anyway and jump to fatuous conclusions to boot?

For what it’s worth it was the Station Inn in Porthmadog.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Hard to tell how people mean what they say, but the welsh, as with the scots, have a distinctly dry sense of humour which can come across as hostile. It’s down to how you take it IME, I’ve spent months in total all over Wales and yet to hear anyone comment unless we were rowdy, and then a quick joke back with them gets a laugh and it’s all smiles.

mattsccm
    Free Member

What disappoints me is that so many know about the countryside. If there were less than there would less idiots coming out and then wanting the rural areas to provide entertainment and totally out of character stuff like public loos, and tourist centres. why come to the country side to have it like home. Its like going abroad then eating English and expecting the locals to understand you. Must admit cyclists are as bad as anyone in that respect. complaining about a lack of showers at Cwm Carn. the whole damn building shouldn’t be there.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Smiffy: are you talking about The Hunters’ Lodge?

I’m usually in the back or side room on Friday’s between 7:30 and 9pm.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“kids in the cities do have more access to many more forms of intellectual stimulus, and opportunity for interaction with other people, than their rural counterparts”

err, really, how so? Do explain?

BTW: I’m rural and a bit slow on the uptake. Is RudeBoy aka PaddedBra aka FredDibnah? It’s a wild guess.

aracer
    Free Member

Watch out, buzz – Rudeboy will accuse you of misquoting, you’ve left a couple of words off that quote.

Farrago
    Free Member

When I went to uni there was a cow field nearby. One of my friends saw cows for the first time and was amazed how big they were. She expected them to be about the size of labradors…

timber

some amusing stuff in there

I think you learn about what surrounds you as it is unavoidable and what interests you because it interests you

I know the obvious stuff, but I’m no professor of the countryside, I live here and work in it.

I’m pretty ignorant of towns and cities as I don’t live there and have little desire to be there. This lack of knowledge makes it a daunting place, highlighted by the rumours and media to give an impression of drugs, stabbing, shoot-outs, hoodies, gangs, clamping, theft, highly strung people – why do I want to go?

And we defend what we like and know.

Travis

Lived in the Countryside, and now living in a small city (Beijing) I soooo miss the Countryside, the rolling hills, the arguments with the walkers for not getting out of the way in time (yeah I do have that now)
    I blame the parents (in the UK)( and Government, for cutting back on transport services), for not taking their offspring to see what marvels are in the countryside.
    Last year took the wife, camping for the night, North of Beijing, it was her first time camping under the stars, camp fire, cooking food, freezing in the morning dew… loved it, can’t get enough of it.
    When we got back to Beijing, first thing she said was thank you, as if she hadn’t met me, she would never have been introduced to the outdoor life.

JulianA
    Free Member

buzz-lightyear – Member
    Smiffy: are you talking about The Hunters’ Lodge?

I’m usually in the back or side room on Friday’s between 7:30 and 9pm.

What a dreadful pub the Hunter’s was last time I was there! Poisonous beer and matching landlord. Always preferred the New Inn…

Viewing 28 posts - 121 through 148 (of 148 total)

The topic ‘10% could not identify a sheep’ is closed to new replies.