• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Keva.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 1 x 9 speed chainguides
  • 4ndyB
    Free Member

I’m going to do a 1 x 9spd set up on one of my bikes…

Do you really need a chainguide to stop the chain from dropping/bouncing off the chain ring? (I won’t necessarily be using a un-ramped singlespeed chainring)

I could use an old front mech, but possibly looking at something more dedicated, as it’s a nice frame

Could I fit a BB mounted one using a square taper BB? (I know it’ll move the chainset out by ~2.5mm) Will the outer cup on the driveside be enough to hold the chainguide?

Any seat tube mounted ones apart from the Paul’s Components Chain Keeper & the agricultural looking DMR Chain Cage?

_tom_
    Free Member

There’s the n-gear jump stop which looks good. In my experience you do need a chain guide unless you’re riding really smooth stuff like canal paths.

4ndyB
    Free Member

Ahh, yes my riding won’t be smooth canal paths that’s for sure, pretty much everything but that.

Although the Jump Stop only stops you dropping the chain onto the BB shell, if it goes over to the crank arm side you still have a problem

gee
    Free Member

I’ve been using an MRP 1.X BB mount device for racing all winter and now on other bikes in the summer too. They are excellent and just work. The chain doesn’t fall off.

GB

_tom_
    Free Member

Superstar do a cheaper version of the mrp which may be worth a look. I think people who use the jump stop combine it with a bash guard.

Dougal
    Free Member

+1 on the MRP. No jams or drops in five months of riding with it, been really impressed.

carlphillips
    Free Member

pooperstar chain guide is ace, had mine on for a good few months and never dropped a chain… would recommend and its tons cheaper than the mrp

4ndyB
    Free Member

Only issue with the BB mounted ones is I have to use a Sq taper BB with my White Industries cranks

I’m wondering if an E type BB would work, can’t remember if they do a Sq taper one though

It’s on a Ti frame, so want something classy looking and simple that works with a Sq taper BB

audiophile
    Free Member

MRP do a seat tube mounted version of the 1X.

4ndyB
    Free Member

Just found that one, a bit pricey, but would work, it’s similar to the Paul’s Chain Keeper

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I had a 1×9 setup last summer on my canal commuter (the front ring was ramped) and the chain constantly kept falling off on the slightest bump of my 14 mile canal commute. As it happens, I was on a fitness campaign, so didn’t mind as it forced me to constantly keep tension by pedalling. If I was to do it again, I’d probably go with a cheap chain guide like the Superstar one.

4ndyB
    Free Member

Just found a E13 XCX ST http://www.e13components.com/product_xcx_st.html seat tube mounted chain guide, which is pricey but does look good, plus I can get one via work 😉

jimmers
    Free Member

My choice would be n-gear jumpstop on the inside, non-ramped single speed / DH chainring with a cheap but light BBG guide http://www.bbgbashguard.com/ on the outside (from the states but delivery is lightening quick).

That’s what I use on my Scandal with a 1×9 setup, sq. taper cranks and old style BB.

campfreddie
    Free Member

i run a superstar upper chain device with an e-type bottom bracket… simples

Keva
    Free Member

Kev

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘1 x 9 speed chainguides’ is closed to new replies.