Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 1 x 10 setup help & q's
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

righty im thinking of ditching my 3×10 setup, as im rarely rarely using the inner and outer rings, and im forever bashing the outer teeth on peak disctrict rocks etc!

i have a clutch mech at the mo, so should stabilize the chain a fair bit (as it does stop chain movement now on rocky descents), however if i run a guide up front (ditching the front mech etc) then it will need to be a BB mounted one as i dont have a tabs etc…

also im assuming my m780 xt crank arms would fit fine with a 32tooth hope single ring chain? ill be using it as a 32 tooth up front as this is what my middle ring is on current setup and i like it, enough high and low gears and not to painful for climbing the awful climbs around the peak

need a bit of help to get started, guess losing the front mech, shifter, inner/outer chainrings and extra chain length etc etc will be a slight weight saving too….

help!

wrecker
    Free Member

I’ve done it, what exactly do you need to know?
    I have a 34T front, coming from a 32T. It’s fine.
    I have a E13 LG1 TR chain guide (BB mount) It’s fine.
    You will need to buy some short chainring bolts though. Ebay is your friend.
    Anything else?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers wrecker – see things like shorter chainring bolts had not even thought of them 😳

will my xt m780 crank arms work on this

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/hope-single-chainring/

ill have a look at the e13 lg1 tr chain guide, is it easy to setup etc? does it make any noise, just wondering do the chains run along the plastic? or does the chain sit over it and not make a sound? silly questions i know but just checking really

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just a BB or seatube mounted top guide should work.

Is it for a HT or a FS bike? IME on a hardtail there’s far less chance of striking the chainring on the ground so no need for a bashring really. On FS bike the BB ‘drops’ by a fair bit in corners, landings or over bumps so a bash is more usefull.

HT – just a BB or seatube mounted upper guide seems to work as long as you don’t backpedal to set up for corners etc.

FS – bash guard and upper chain device, some people use the n-gear jump stop rather than an actual guide to save weight.

Alternatively a full on chain device (with or without a bash) would be the belt and braces solution, I’ve got a straitline silentguide on my Pitch and it rocks, you might/do have to grind/file off the granny ring tabs though if you want to set it up properly with the absolute minimum clearance between the chainring and the guide.

Edit: and it really is silent in use, rattles on the workstand, but in use the extra tesnion it puts in the chain stopping that flappin makes up for it.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

the e13 lg chain device says its for 33 teeth rings up? im after a 32t, ive seen one on superstart for 16quid BB mounted that looks similar but doesnt have the bottom roller etc etc

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/popup_image.php?pID=362

guessing somethign like this would be fine runnign 32tooth front and 10 rear?

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/popup_image.php?pID=362

also running a clutch mech so will stop most movement, but not all….dont want to spend a fortune on a mega expensive chain device?

so far i need something like a superstar device above, shorter chainring bolts and a new 32 tooth chainring (hopefully the hope one)….

is that pretty much it?

kiwijohn

Some opinions on the super star chain guide here
    I’m running an E13 XCX ST & it has been faultless. Sure it wasn’t cheap, but you get what you pay for.

wrecker
    Free Member

I have the newer XT cranks but they work fine with the Hope chainring (I have one).
    The chain guide has a jockey wheel which is virtually silent. I do have to give it a scrape every now and again to keep it running optimally. Fitting was very easy, just a bit of test and adjust for the angle.
    I have the LG1 TR guide which doesn’t have a taco, I can’t see that a 32T ring would be a probem. I have no experience of the XC type guides so can’t help there sorry. Oh, and I don’t *think* that the silentguide is available with BB mount.
    1 x 10 was a big leap for me but has been a revelation. I’m so strong now and also find that having to run a bigger gear helps with the tech climbs (less revolutions = less pedal strikes) and I can get the power down whenever I need to. I also can’t be lazy which means I’m never last up the hill either!

mboy
    Free Member

The Superstar XCR is cheap… For a reason.

Not saying they can’t be made to work in some situations (for instance a bit of canal towpath pootling), but they are flexy, and flex leads to the chain coming off on rougher terrain.

I’ve tried a few different solutions, IMO the only way you can truly keep your chain on all the time over rough terrain is to go the “belt and braces” approach that TINAS described and go for a full device that has a bottom roller too. They needn’t be heavy either. I’m running an MRP Lopes SL guide which is very minimalist, and it just works! It’s not quite silent like the Straitlines, but it’s not intrusive, certainly much much quieter than a Hope freehub.

Personally wouldn’t bother with a bashring, but it’s horses for courses. If you’ve got a full sus with an especially low BB, then it might help.

Your XT cranks will be fine with any 4 bolt Single Ring, just more than likely you’ll need shorter bolts as has already been pointed out.

Been running 1×10 with a 32T ring and 11-36 setup on my HT now for over a year, aside from teething issues with crap chain devices, everything has been marvellous! Only once have I really missed having a granny ring, but that was a particularly hard/steep ride, and I wasn’t too well that day, but a dose of MTFU did for me!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers for the info gusy – bloody hell what a minefield this is 🙁

ive seen this one on wiggle

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mrp-1x-bb-fitting-upper-guide-chain-device/

will that not be enough running it with a xtr clutch mech?

wrecker
    Free Member

Might be, might not. The weight and cost implications are so small; why risk it?
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=56&products_id=263

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

true – i dont mind spending a bit more really so long as its going to be relatively hassle free to maintain/noise free or mostly noise free and doesnt cost a fortune…

orange have recommended a mrp mini one or something, which has the rollers on bottom too….they also said that some models wont work on a fives swingarm 🙁

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

orange have recommended a mrp mini one or something, which has the rollers on bottom too….they also said that some models wont work on a fives swingarm

Personaly I’d avoid anything with rollers (hency my preferance for a silentguide) as it’s one less bearing being dragged through the muck.

Most brands do a dedicated 32t device (as well as a 32-36) which saves some weight, gives a little more ground clerance and holds the chain better, if it’s definately a 32t you want then that’s the option to go for.

Gammut and silentguide are both full bash devices under 200g, taco style devices are lighter by about 40g, but the taco is indended to be even more disosable than a bashring, any stronger and it’s transfering that force through the ISCG tabs. Whereas bashrings take the load through the whole crank/BB so at worse you write the crank off, but IMe they tend to roll over obstacles rather than break. You cn use devices without a bash, butjudgeing by the mess my bash is in I’d worry for the chainring.

Euro
    Free Member

Superstar Plasma + 4mm bolts chainring bolts worked for me. Didn’t bother with the bash as 32t is tiny. Might be an option if you decide to run a bigger ring in the future though.

Simple to install and hassle free running. Not completely silent but quiet enough. I’m using it on a hardtail and the chain has yet to come off despite being used on some fast and rough trails and a bit of jumping. I think the BB mount comes with both ISCG versions. I’d happily get another.

wrecker
    Free Member

The jockey on the guide isn’t subjected to anything worse than thE two on the rear mech so why worry? (unless you’re SSing)
    Ive never smacked my 34t chainring off anything and don’t have a taco fitted.
    The strait line also doesn’t come in BB fitment IIRC.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘1 x 10 setup help & q's’ is closed to new replies.