Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 1 x 10 questions……
  • DrP

I like the idea of a singe chainring up front. Heck, Akrigg has it so if I did I’d ride like him for shizzle…..

But…..my current 2 x 9 hasn’t fallen apart, I’ve a nice selection of gears (26 x 32 to 36 x 11…), and if I take into account the inevitable chain device I’d get, ‘losing” the front mech and shifter won’t really be much of a weight save, will it?

I imagine within the year I’ll swap over, but like all things new and shiny, what “reasons” have you come up with to justify a single ring up front?

DrP

(not a troll btw, just thinking out loud!)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I had 1×9 for years. Couldnt think of any reasons to justify 2 or 3 cogs at the front.

Rorschach
    Free Member

It was 9 more than I’ve had for the last 6 years.

DrP

Any reasons to actively get Rid of cogs at the front though?? Not including dh bikes of course…

DrP

Northwind

Most of the drivetrain on my hardtail was knackered so when I got the new bike (with the plan to sell everything but the frame) I kept the 1×10 drivetrain and went from my 2×9 to 1×10 as an experiment (tried 1×9, found it close but not cigar)

I wouldn’t have changed if it wasn’t for needing a load of new parts anyway, though. The real benefits- the 11-36T cassette and the clutch mech- are probably worth the swap, but it does annoy me that they’ve been kept as 10-speed exclusives.

The difference in gearing isn’t massive but like I say, 1×9 was nearly there so it might be just enough of a change.

unklehomered
    Free Member

i HATE front mechs, sooner or later, they bung up with cack, won’t shift, rattle about, just another cable to worry about.

Run the 456SS with single ring, its great. 36t just mean I have no choice but to mash up stuff, so now I’m the fastest climber amongst my riding buddies. Seriously considering just single ring on the Meta AM when I buy drive chain for it next month.

DrP

Clutch mech is a big appeal tbh…

DrP

mboy
    Free Member

Don’t do it… You NEED that 44T big ring according to the other thread running on here right now! 😕

In all seriousness… Give it a go… You’ll probably find it better than you expected.

I’d recommend a 32T ring to start with though, unless you live somewhere especially flat. If your legs get stronger, by all means go up to a 34 or 36 but even with a 32 you lose remarkably little off the top a full 3 ring setup, and only the bottom two gears too.

As for reasons? You’ll not realise just how much a pain in the ass a front mech and associated gubbins is until you go single ring with a good chain device! Weight wise, you’ll still lose a few grammes too, as you’re removing more than you’re putting back on unless your chain device is especially beastly.

scaredypants

yeh, 36t cassette is the thing that swung it for me
    I think there’s a 9sp one but it’s a heavy bugger IIRR

I used an ultegra 10sp flat bar shifter and the existing 9sp mtb mech to keep costs down in case it turned out to be shit but I think I’m sold on 1×10 now, and a non-slappy chain would be good I guess. At some point, one of my kids will prob get the ulegra set up and I guess I’ll be having a new mtb set

Northwind

Aye, there’s a 12-36 9-speed deore cassette and you can swap the littlest ring over but that’s not ideal

scaredypants

Oh yeah – that was the other thing about the 9sp one; 11-34 is a bigger range than 12-36, so pointless

mrmo
    Free Member

my only concern with going 1×9/10 is road work.

if your riding offroad all the time, willing to put up with a low road gear then fine. My concern is that to get a low gear for off road climbing and a high gear for road work a single ring isn’t quite capable,YET. things like the sram 1×11 might be enough though.

It does mean less weight, less to go wrong, one less mud trap, etc.

As always pays your money takes your chances.

unklehomered
    Free Member

36t x9 rarely has me out of gears on the road tbh, only when pointing down hill

martinxyz
    Free Member

I am well happy with 32t and a 10 spd 11-36t cassette.

The E13 xc guide does the job fine enough for what I do on it. (along with making a nice fixing point for the rear gear outer) £40 over the likes of £110 if it does the job 98% of the time is good enough for me.

There’s no bash ring,just a chain protecting the ring. No shifter,mech and cables. Just a nice space on the left hand side of the bar for a dropper post lever when I get one.

1st gear is fine for Torridon (even with the extra weight of a rack,sleeping bag,mat,bivi and a fairly packed non biking rucksack)

The cassette wearing more evenly throughout all the sprockets is something I like the idea of too. The last few cassettes I removed from triple set-ups were in great condition on some sprockets,wasted on others.

O.K. a 32t ring and an 11t at the rear might see racers possibly lose some races due to spinning out but I don’t race so the benefits of 1×10 for everything, bar flying down a fast track where you need to be pushing a gear to do well in a race,is the way I will probably go in the future.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Well it’s a mountain bike,for mountain biking.

We could slate 1×10.. but not if one of the gripes are to do with Asphalt.

DrP

Good input chaps!

Will see what comes along in the next few months – think shadow + mech, 11-36 cassette, shifter, and 34 chainring may be on the Xmas list…..!

DrP

mrmo
    Free Member

Well it’s a mountain bike,for mountain biking.

but as a large part of my riding involves road, i ride from my door to the off road bits, i use road to link up the off road sections. etc. I am in the position of not having to drive somewhere to ride.

The other issue i ride to go up hill not down, i don’t think that 1×9/10 would be too much of a hinderance to this if i pick the right chainring, just think i might miss a sensible road gear.

I may be concerned about nothing, i might not be.

passtherizla
    Free Member

I have just gone 1×10 and am not having any difficulties so far.

I still have my long cage mech on so am gonna buy one of these very soon
    zee

njee20
    Free Member

I also ride on the road to the trails, admittedly I tend to sit in the 11/13 a fair bit, and spin out above 30 on the descents, but I’m ok with that. Can comfortably average 18-19mph, which is plenty quick enough for my little legs. That’s with a 36t single ring.

smiff
    Free Member

i’d only go 1x on a lightwight hardtail where i’m happy to stand and mash. (i have 1×9 on a ht, 2×10 on FS). 9 v 10 is really irrelevant, main problem is I can’t have only a 36 or 38T chainring (what i want for flat and descending) and still sit & spin up the steep stuff on long rides. front mechs are a pain to set up but once you’ve done it they last forever and they mostly do as a top chain device.. i actually use an old front mech still on my 1×9 :p

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘1 x 10 questions……’ is closed to new replies.