Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 1 x 10 anyone yet? Does 9 speed mech work?
  • phildowling
    Free Member

Looking at running my 24 hour bike in a 1 x 10 setting for some events, has anyone set up a 9 speed mech to run 10 speed?

In my mind it should make no difference really, i spent years in the shop working on road stuff which is all the same, but i'm wondering if the buggers have stiched us up a little and done some Voodoo on the mechs.

Also peoples thoughts on it?

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Pulls up chair. 🙂

highclimber
    Free Member

I theory I think the minimum needed would be a new casette and 10sp shifter though I think its more complex than that but I could be wrong!

phildowling
    Free Member

10 speed cassette and shifter seems a little simple to me… 😕

highclimber
    Free Member

the more I think about it, the more it makes sense as to those being the only things. The 10sp cassette occupies the same space as a 9sp so the only problem would be getting the indexing right as its fiddly even with 9sp sometimes

would there be a need for a new chain??

GaryLake
    Free Member

Depends, if we're talking Shimano Dyna-sys stuff, Shimano changed the actuation ratio for 10-speed so I think possibly the mechs aren't compatible.

I've got 10 speed XT and there is no 10 speed specific front shifter, it's just a regular 9-speed, which makes me think there wouldn't be a 10 speed mech if the nine speed one was compatible.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

This is where it falls down.

If you need a new thinner 10 spd chain then surely you might have you have a new ring up front too. How would the new chain cope with the jockey wheels on your 9 speed mech?

I agree with highclimber re: the cassette occupying the same space so it's all about indexing with the shifter assuming no chain issue.

So with actuation ratio the 10 speed specific shifter is pulling more or less cable for a certain distance of movement in the derallieur than the current 9 speed shifter, so you'd never be able to index it correctly with a 9 speed derallieur and 10 speed cassette?

GaryLake
    Free Member

Normal 10 speed chains should be compatible but there is a special Dyna-sys chain which is directional and has special grooves to help shifting…

kinger

from my own experimening on my 1×10, your 'regular' 9 speed, or road rear mech would work but only with the 10-speed flatbar shifters.

Once you have (dyna-sys) XT 10 speed shifters then you do need a new 10spd rear mech too, not even a 10 spd road mech will work.
    Am still experimening though as one of plus points to me of 1x is to have a nice short cage rear mech. The new DynaSys XT rear mech has a seemingly very long cage….
    For info, I am using a Sram 10spd road chain and an E13 Guide Ring

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘1 x 10 anyone yet? Does 9 speed mech work?’ is closed to new replies.