Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 1 stuck chainring bolt – why oh why :( help pleaseee
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

xt m770 not touched the chainring bolts from new – need to change the middle ring quite urgently, got the t30 bit in the first 3 all came out, was majorly impressed, no major force needed!

then the last one, as i smugly started to turn, is completely tight 🙁

any ideas on how to get this bad boy out?? i dont have a heat gun nor soldering iron etc….

i do have a the chainring bolt tool, if i wedge that in the inner side of the rings, and apply some force with t30 on the front, is it more likely to budge? rather than just trying to loosen the t30 outer bit??

bloody typical this, everytime i attempt to fix something, it goes wrong 🙁

is there any spray etc that could get in and loosen it? ive tried wd40?

come on genius mechanic type bike folk! 🙂

lipseal
    Free Member

Drill & drill bit, not sure what size is requiredbut someone will be along in a bit to tell us.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Plusgas is your friend..

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

plusgas? what is this? sounds promising?

dont really want to be drilling as the head isnt buggered, its fine its just tight in..

how will plusgas get inside the thread though kingtut?

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

What sort of T30 tool have you got?

I had this problem and ended up getting a long T30 driver from Halfords which you can insert a T-bar through. This did the trick.

I tried using my T30 socket set and it wouldn’t budge.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

james – its a t30 socket set one on a screwdriver type…

you got a link to this one from halfords sir?

many thanks squire!

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Sorry can’t see it on Halfords website

Tis basically a long screwdriver with a t30 fixed head, it must be at least 12 inches long with a hole in the handle which I stuck a metal rod through to give me some more torque

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

Plus gas loosens stuff (don’t know the science)better than WD40.

I’d try dousing in more WD40 and/or penetrating oil and get some leverage on your screwdriver or buy an l-shaped torx key or try a socket set with a torx bit. If the rear of the fitting starts turning then use the tool that you mentioned to hold it steady.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

right managed to borrow a ratchet with a t30 bit on it, its about 10 inches long (waaaheeey) hopefully enough to get enough torq on it! my bloody palm is killng from the screwdriver type so will be leaving that method for a while 🙁

stumpy01

I had this problem the other day and I think there was a thread a couple of days ago along a similar vein….

I ended up using a T30 bit in a t-handled attachment, locking that into a Workmate type bench and using the crank arm to get more torque on the bolt. Came free no problem – basically keeping the driver/bolt still & turning the crank around it.

Weirdly, I’m pretty sure the other thread about this said that 3 were fine & one was stuck fast, which is the same thing I had…..

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers stumpy, i dont have a workbench/vice etc 🙁

im hopeful this longer ratchet will give enough leverage to get the thing moving 🙁

should be at least be able to get a bit more movement/power/torque through a ratchet than trying to grip a screwdriver set type one??

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Maybe but certainly if it has a T handle

Might need to shock it by hitting the end of the wrench with a hammer in the anti-clockwise direction

ArcticBeast
    Free Member

Ive had this problem before, and found that if I did the other bolts back up I was able to undo the tight bolt first and the others then came away freely as well.
    Maybe worth a shot?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers artctic for the tip, definitely worth checking first! ill give that a shot too…

very strange that all 3 came off easily first, then the last one jammed in?

same happened to the chap above too? hmmmm

Drac

If you do them one at a time rather loosen each one a bit at the time the chainrings try prise a part, this can be enough pressure to make unscrewing awkward.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

righty cheers, so worth doing back up then i guess….

btw – what torque do the bolts need to be back upto???

Drac

btw – what torque do the bolts need to be back upto???

Until they stop and do them in rotation don’t tighten them up individually.

kaesae
    Free Member

Try putting them all back in and then slackening of just the stibborn one, sounds like a plan to me 😀

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

right ill try that, i did think it was extremely odd that just one was stuck from new! cheers folks ill report back later with either a fail or victory!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

VICTORY!!!!

YAAAAAYYYY!!

thanks to y’all for the advice, its worked a treat because a combination of plusgas (very similar car type one), tightening all the bolts back up, and a longer ratchet (definitely the key here though) and job done

came off a breeze in the end, seriously if you are using a socket type screwdriver one for these bolts you will really struggle to get enough purchase/torque…..something with a bit of length ie, ratchet seemed to be alot more powerful and required very little force!

anyways, job done, nice and easy and no knackered heads on bolts for once 😆

thanks again for the top advice between you!

scaredypants

copperslip on reassembly ?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

nope 😆

i did smear a bit of on the threads, not quite copperslip, but still…to be honest, they werent that tight anyways, and defo had no coppergrease on from new….

ill cross that bridge next time, will probably need a new chainset by then anyways 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘1 stuck chainring bolt – why oh why :( help pleaseee’ is closed to new replies.