• This topic has 24 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by ton.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • 1 or 2 man lightweight tent recommendations.
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Need a lightweight (rucksack/kayak/bike panniers) 1 or 2 man tent for occasional weekend adventures. It needs to pack away small and light so not really looking at pop-up jobbies. Need good water resistance but not a winter/mountain type thing. Not sure I'm quite ready for bivvying yet either 🙂

Is it easier to just get one of those little two man tents (they never seem much more expensive or that much heavier than the equivalent 1 man) , so that there's room for a rucksack in there too? I assume the 1-man tents are very compact, whereas a 2-man would allow plenty of room for a rucksack down the side?

Max budget around £75. Could be persuaded to go a bit above this but no more than the ton.

EDIT: Anything wrong with this one from Quechua?

spokebloke
    Free Member

These get good reviews
    Coleman
    £35 and 2.5kg

Nainosliw
    Free Member

I've got that one from Quetcha – nice and light – pleased with it!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Nainosliw, how have you found it otherwise? Ease of pitching? In wind? In rain?

plumber
    Free Member

Vaude taurus light weight for me – great tent – a little tight for 2 but doable

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Hmmm…prob a bit rich for me at the mo plumber. 🙁

bloodyshins
    Free Member

Look for a Gelert Solo on Amazon, you should be able to pick one up for 30 quid or so. I used on for this years Welsh ride thing and it was perfect, it pissed down and I stayed dry. It weighs 1.5kg and packs down tiny. Anything better would cost you about two hundred pounds. You can drop the weight by replacing the cheap pegs with alloy ones. Somone I know replaced the fibreglass poles with custom alloy ones, cut from a length of tube with a hack saw. His tent weighed less than a kilo. You can even fit a bigish pack inside the fly sheet. Bargain of the year in my opinion.

plumber
    Free Member

yeah, sorry I only re read your requirements after posting sorry

gordimhor

I got a gelert solo and it is light and adequate for an occasional one/two night summer camp. It is very small not really long enough for me (i am 6ft 3) and only had room for a small rucksack at the side had to leave my panniers on the bike the tent is also pretty low the high area is just enough to let you get out without crawling on your belly but for the price I'd give it thumbs up overall

Nainosliw
    Free Member

easy to pitch – practice once and you'll know how to. It's seriously light for the price. Been fine in light/medium winds, wouldn't bank on it in a gale though.

vdubber67
    Free Member

+1 for Gelert Solo. Got mine on Ebay. USed mine for a 3-day bike-packing adventure a month or two back. Pretty compact, but light and cheap!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Cheers for the suggestions folks. Hadn't come across the Gelert so I'll be giving that some serious consideration. 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Any suggestions from the Monday crowd? ❓

brassneck

I have a Coleman 2 man I used for the SW coast path with the now wife – we got married so it can't have been too bad 🙂
    Still going strong in fact and is off on a 2 weeks across the Montana horse ride this autumn (not by me).

Cost around £120 8 or 9 years ago from Cotswold Camping, so I would think anything they produce for your budget at online prices would be decent. Came in a good solid waterproof bag which is worth more than you might think in the long haul.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Thanks Brassneck…having checked around, it's between a Coleman and the Quechua. Might go Coleman with them being a local company here in Brizzle. Wonder if they have a factory shop… ❓

Pieface

See here for cheap one man tent. I'd get it myself if I didn't already have one.

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/wild-country-tents-aspect-1-tent-783141

jond
    Free Member

I've got a Vango Banshee 200 – which seems fine, certainly for the amount I paid for it in a shop clearance a couple of years ago (about 35 quid). Admittedly I bought more 'cos it was small and the right price for backpacking to a music festival, at something like retail price there may be a better option. Pack size/weight seems comparable with the others mentioned – definitely worth having the extra room of a 2-man.

Another style might be worth looking at is something with more of a porch at one end (eg Vango Tempest 200, tho' the weight goes up a fair bit) – having a bit more room to leave wet boots/shoes/waterproofs might be handy, tho' mebbe a tarp or otherwise over your bike with damp kit underneath might do. (Tho' I've not -yet – done any cycle touring with mine, but I did a festival earlier in the year with a far bigger tent, and all the wet gear got dumped in the porch.)

jond
    Free Member

BTW – might be worth having a browse on youtube to get an idea of how the space pans out – eg:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PE94n7uZU8&feature=related

HTTP404
    Free Member

coleman rigel X2

Single skin. weighs 1kg. And very compact.

flipiddy
    Free Member

I've got a Coleman Avior X2 which has been used for 2 of us around the Outer Hebridian islands via bike. It has been excellent, standing up to all sorts of wind and rain. Quick and easy to put up and packs down nice and small with minimal effort.

That Quechua is slightly lighter; on paper it looks very good value! Although in terms of size, it is a little smaller than an X2. Both cost about £75.

stever
    Free Member

I've got a 400 quid mountain tent and a tiddly ProAction thing from Argos, reduced to 15 quid. Bought it on spec for the kids to play with, but I've used it more than the 'proper' tent lately.

big-chief-96
    Free Member

just bought a vango tempest 200. Fantastic. lightweight and only £90!!

recommend one any day

spacehopper

just got myself a vango tempest 200 too.. not camped in it yet.. its getting its first outing next weekend! very impressed so far tho..!

whereabouts does anyone go on their weekend adventures? do you use campsites or wild camp?

also.. anyone got any route reccomendations…? i fancy an adventure!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Aaargh. Now that's been thrown into the frame. Looks tasty. Is the extra 0.65kg worth it over the Quechua?

ton

dd, got a vaude taurus i will sell you ………….cheap too.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘1 or 2 man lightweight tent recommendations.’ is closed to new replies.