Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 06 Wolf Ridge with 140mm Revelation fork…
  • mangatank
    Free Member

…bad combination? Do I risk destroying the ride characteristics or worse forcing a frame failure? it was designed for a 130mm Fox Talas.

Marin riders, Put away your sandals, comb your beards and please advise!
    😉

b17
    Free Member

used an 05 rock springs with a totem without dying in the alps a couple of weeks ago. great for downhill though somewhat sluggish uphill…

i was also a bit worried, but the way i see is that downhill frames even not many years ago didn't have gussets or huge headtubes/welds, and people survived. I'm not kyle strait so I doubt if the stress is anywhere near the (almost certainly overbuilt) spec of the frame.

Cynic-al also quoted something from MBA in another thread which reckoned that fork length wasn't really the issue, just whether you start hucking like crazy because of your new fork.

snaps
    Free Member

150mm Maverick DUC32's on my 06 Wolf ridge here – rides fine, no issues in over 10,000 miles!
    Taking it to Brechfa this weekend in preference to my 08 Mount Vision.

mangatank
    Free Member

Well that's good news.

Thanks guys. Greatly appreciated!

neilnevill
    Free Member

Marzocchi AM SLs on a errrrr….06 Attack trail with no problems. It climbs fine at 120 to 130, goes down rather well at 150. I prefer not to use the last 10 though.

The frame is plenty strong enough with the guessets, although if it were to crack I'd strip the frame before marching in the the shop for my warranty replacement.

mangatank
    Free Member

Anyone care to show their rig? I'm builing up from a frame and it's hard to get a decent shot of the 06 fully built.

snaps
    Free Member

The retards will whinge about the bar ends but what do they know?
    Now has Mono M4s instead of 6s & Black tubeless 819s

mangatank
    Free Member

Wow. That's one seriously customized rig. You've built it up as a big hitting dh beast! A very versatile frame then. I'm looking for long distance all- mountain versatility. 140mm forks are so much easier to source. Love the spare tube by the way!

nickegg
    Free Member

FWIW thats not an 06 Wolf Ridge.

mangatank
    Free Member

Yep it's an 05, but the frame design is very similar (if not identical). I'm actually really surprised at the sort of punishment that it's being asked to take.

How is that rear shock holding up?

neilnevill
    Free Member

the 05 head tube guesset is ever so slightly different shape and the head and seat tube angles are also a teeny weeny bit different on the 06 I believe, think the swing arm got tweaked with more 'dent's' for lateral stiffness too, no big changes though.

You must be tall…they are big frames and that must be 19"….and your using the bottle cage 😉

The frames are strong enough to take some big stuff but I did eventually manage to pop the air can on the shock….too many 8 foot drops I think. I stuck with an air shock though. TFT advise me that the older (pre RP3 etc) air cans were a teeny bit stronger…..although that's what mine was.

Oh BTW mangatank, I don't run the Alpine link (looks like snaps doesn't either) I reckon the extra inch on the fork has similar affects on the angles to using an alpine link, but obviously the BB is higher.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

It'll be fine, just remember to check the frame periodically for cracks. (you do anyway right?)

Next………………….

mangatank
    Free Member

hmmm…yes…fit and forget…and this might happen:

it's the risk we all take 🙁

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘06 Wolf Ridge with 140mm Revelation fork…’ is closed to new replies.