There have been sneak peaks and a host of prototype spy shots but now it’s official; the Patriot is back. Here’s the official press release:
The Patriot makes a return to the Orange Mountain Bikes lineup for 2012. Taking up a position between the Alpine 160 and 224, the new bike delivers 180mm of balanced single pivot suspension. The original was responsible for much of our direction in design, the 2012 bike more than lives up to the name…
Highlight features at a glance:
- The monocoque down tube profile develops stiffness and reduces weight. The top tube adopts similar technology, allowing a front end that is lighter and stronger than a hydroformed equivalent.
- The 1.5″ headtube houses a tapered fork with an external bearing bottom cup and zero-stack top. The best option for strength and weight, but also future proofing frame design and allowing compatibility with angle-adjust headsets.
- The 30.9mm seat tube diameter adds height adjustable seat post compatability, with guides keeping cabling tidy.
- Maintenance free 32mm pivot assembly keeps the bike out of the workshop and on the trail.
- Maxle rear as standard, the frame is super stiff with accurate tracking for surefooted confidence.
- Standard ISCG tabs allow easy chain device installation.
- Low pivot placement keeps the suspension super active but controlled and efficient. Small bump sensitivity with enough climbing poise to earn your turns. The same position as the Five, it rides light but takes the hits.
- A Super slack 65.5° head-angle lets you rip through the rough stuff, with a planted BB height keeping you in the centre of the bike. The ride characteristics of the old packaged with the best of the new.
Coming July 1st…
The 2012 Patriot will be available from July 1st as a complete build or frame only package. The standard bike retails at £2999.99 with a Fox Van RC shock, Marzocchi 66 RCV 180mm fork, Hope hubs, Avid Elixir brakes, Truvativ finishing kit and a RaceFace/Shimano transmission. The usual array of upgrade options will be offered including the Cane Creek Double Barrel, Hope Tech V2 brakes, RockShox Reverb seat post, Gammut chain device and new for 2012, the Renthal Fatboy bar and Duo stem.
The Patriot is a hard riding big-mountain machine built for slamming into turns and boosting off lips. Ready to winch you to the top it’s capable of technical climbing, but the Patriot is all about the gravity fuelled good times. A downhill bike too big and slow but six inches not capable enough? The Patriot is the perfect midpoint. See it as a UK downhill bike, a lightweight freeride bike or something to pedal around the Alps. The Patriot is bred tough whatever the tag line, the only limits are your nerves…
We want one. Or maybe two.
Posted on: June 21, 2011