The new Tailfin Cage Pack System aims to do exactly what it says: to be a better way of attaching dry bags to your bikepacking rig.
The most straightforward method for getting more kit on your bike is to strap a dry bag to the frame or a rack or a cargo cage. It’s a workable solution but achieving a solid, secure and consistent attachment is tricky.
Tailfin Cage Pack nutshelled:
- Should work with all cargo cages but is designed to work with Tailfin Cargo Cages
- Three sizes: 1.7, 3 and 5 litres
- 1.7L: designed for inside frame placement and under the downtube on dropbar bikes
- 3L: designed for inside frame placement and under the downtube on MTBs as well as fork and rack mounting
- 5L: purely for fork and rack mounting
- Fully waterproof construction
- Speed Hook loading system
- Roll-top opening
- 420D fabric on all high wear areas
- ‘Bikepacking specific’ TPU Cargo Straps
- Five year warranty
- Crash replacement service
- Load weight limit: 1.5kg per riv nut (check with individual bike manufacturer)
- Pricing (without straps): 1.7L – £30, 3L – £35, 5L – £45
- Pricing (with pair of straps): 1.7L – £40, 3L – £45, 5L – £55
Weight weenie time
Weight of bags without straps: 1.7L – 115g, 3L – 154g, 5L – 183g
Weight of bags including straps: 1.7L – 171g, 3L – 220g, 5L – 265g
Speed Hook Loading System
Tailfin: “We created the Speed Hook system to eliminate the tedious nature of traditional ‘daisy chain’ style closed strap guide loop systems commonly found on existing bikepacking drybags. After many years of coping with the faff of having to unthread cage straps fully with a daisy chain style bag in order to remove it from the cage, the new Speed Hook system is a revelation.
“The open-ended design of the Speed Hook enables you to semi-set up your straps and simply guide/drop the bag in and provides a secure hold on the bag even when using cargo cages without a platform. We spaced the Strap Hooks to align perfectly with the strap guides found on our Cargo Cages, but the spacing is also compatible with any strap arrangement. In addition, the Strap Hooks will accept any brand of cargo strap up to 25mm in width.
The Strap Hooks are constructed using TPU (Thermoplastic Polyurethane) and individually welded to the pack to create a lower profile, durable and waterproof system.
Cargo Straps nutshelled:
- Shatter-resistant Nylon 6/6 Load Lock Buckle
- Load Lock Buckle design enables one-handed strap cinching and locking
- Shaped to prevent any contact with bicycle frame tubing
- Available in 40, 50 and 65cm lengths
- 20mm width
- Price (per strap): 40cm – £7.50, 50cm – £8, 65cm – £8.50
While you’re here…
Please follow us on the Instagrams…
Use code HELLO54 when you join us as a print or digital member and your membership will be half price for the first year.
The Print+ membership where Singletrack magazine drops through your door, plus full digital access, is normally £45, now only £22.50 with the code. And a digital membership where you can read all the digital magazines is normally £25, and now £12.50 with the code.
Simply use code HELLO54 at checkout.
(New annually renewing membership only. Excludes Gift Memberships, Discount applies to first year. Cannot be used in conjunction with other offers, or when switching memberships)
I don’t know if this is happening for anyone else but none of the pictures in the article seem to be related to the tailfin bags. Some glitch in the system? I’m on Microsoft Edge on iPad if that helps.