• This topic has 15,382 replies, 380 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Caher.
Viewing 40 posts - 3,841 through 3,880 (of 15,383 total)
  • Zwift, my journey, my weight and my fitness.
  • nathb
    Free Member

It’s the power of the draft effect sir 🙂

weeksy

nathb – Member

It’s the power of the draft effect sir

Without doubt… I just thought as i was cruising along it wouldn’t be that hard to get back…. how wrong was I !

theotherjonv

It also shows (and i assume they’ve got this algorithm fairly well sorted) that above I think 15mph almost all extra effort is to overcome wind resistance rather than friction etc. So to have to go faster to make up time AND take all the wind, it becomes exponentially harder (maybe not actually exponentially but you know what i mean)

So if the pack is nipping along even at a conservative (for Zwift) 30-35kph, in the 30 odd seconds you’re off the bike and got back up to speed they’ve opened up maybe 400-500m (at 30kph)

To close that back down in say 5 mins, you need to cover 3km in the time it takes them to do 2.5km – means you need to average 36kph now and that’s all into the wind unless you can hop onto another rider who’s out there.

Alternatively, how about a Romain Bardet / Vicenzo Nibali powerup, where you can get back in while ‘having your gears adjusted’?

gray

I’s not entirely rational, since aside from a bit of time it’s not really any different from a UK mail order place, but I would be very hesitant about buying a (especially Tacx) turbo from abroad again. If my Vortex had come from an LBS it would have been back there, since I ordered it from Germany I couldn’t be arsed to send it all the way back, and now I’ve left it too long, and might never switch it off again…

gray

Alternatively, how about a Romain Bardet / Vicenzo Nibali powerup, where you can get back in while ‘having your gears adjusted’?

A sticky bottle icon…?

theotherjonv

another question for the IRL riders (maybe racers, which I’ll never be but sometimes this happens on the club run anyway)

Suppose you get ‘dropped’ by the bunch – sometimes happens at a roundabout or traffic light or you drop back to help out someone who is struggling and offer a wheel. I know on a social run they’ll regroup or slow for you if you can’t get back, but on our rides at least initially we’ll continue to ride at tempo and give the tailender chance to chase back on and feel like a proper rider.

Do you go full gas and get back in asap or do you up your speed slightly and aim to get back in without working too much harder (wind notwithstanding, obvs has an effect in both situations)

I know in a race it’ll be different in many ways – from the Boss calling a truce while people get back to the opposite where as soon as someone’s dropped the group will ride harder to keep them dropped…. just wondered if there’s a physiologically ‘right’ way to do it?

[FWIW I usually ride hard to get back in asap, only for the group to stop immediately after so Dave can have a piss. Dave’s got issues and has a piss about every half an hour 😉 ]

jim25

Good ride Jambo. Nice result, I rarely have anything think left to finish on a sprint and am always pipped at the line by someone!

jim25

mashiehood – Member
    Jim – I’m sure you weren’t busting a ‘guy’ though!

POSTED 1 DAY AGO # REPORT-POST

No! I got that a bit wrong! That’s how finished I was!

jam-bo

there was moment that I thought ‘I can bloody win this’ but it wasn’t meant to be. I’d worked too hard to stay in contention up the reverse KoM climb and haul back the 5s gap I’d lost in the first steep section.

Not moving up to B’s though until I’ve won a C…

nathb
    Free Member

In a race situation I’ll dig deep and catch them up, it’s a hard short effort – which I find less fatiguing. Once caught you can rest for a bit anyway, it’s simply not worth the risk.

In fact my usual race tactic is to sit in the last 1/3 of the pack, with a handful of laps I’ll sprint to the front/or past the front, then rest up ready for the last lap/sprint finish. I find this easier than shuffling around with the front guys and it’s the same principle as above.

jim25

Not sure this is the best place to post, I’ll put a separate add up

But I have my old Cycleops mag trainer that is of no use to me now. Free to anyone who wants it to give zwift ago.
    It’s not the best, works all perfectly fine, but is very noisy, I think maybe the bearing is a but worn-out however it doesn’t seem to have any wobble on the flywheel.
    Anyway free if you want it, North London/Hertfordshire area

j4mesj4mes
    Free Member

Appreciating I’m recovering from injury and a number of months of undesired inactivity; am I really unfit (not a road rider) or am I doing something wrong? 40k distance was 1.5kg/w and 100w, and previous was 20k at 150w. I’m 83kg if that matters. Everyone seems substantially fitter/faster!

jam-bo

What turbo are you using and is it calibrated correctly? That seems pretty low and if anything zwift tends to be over-generous on the power front.

dc2.0

My neo arrives tomorrow. Tacx flow now surplus to requirements. Will post an ad in classifieds over weekend but pm me if interested. Thinking £120 cash delivered if you’re anywhere near derby or reading.

j4mesj4mes
    Free Member

Its a Tacx flow smart t2240 and its calibrated using the tacx app and its between the two green lines. It takes some amount of force to clamp it on now its in the centre of the lines, wasn’t sure it was going to unclamp last time.

dc2.0

That’s clamped pretty tight. I keep mine just over the lower line.

TBH, 1.5w/kg over 40k/~2w/kg over 20k isn’t terrible if you’re just getting going again. Keep going and you’ll find it improves quickly

j4mesj4mes
    Free Member

Mines just over the lower line too, I dread to think what it would be like in the centre spot. I don’t feel really unfit or week though. I’m not sure it got above 1.5w/kg mind.

weeksy

Crazy 8 year old is riding again. This morning is volcano flat. I’m going to have to sort him a strava account at this rate. He’s ha0pily racing along at 1.9w/kg currently

weeksy

P Race in 5 🙂

weeksy

ARRRHGHHHHHHH that was going well. 3 lap of the Volcano flat was the course, after lap one, me and 3 others were sharing the work, a group of 10-11 or so overall

We had 3 separate attacks off the front, of which i chased down and caught 2, the other one was taken back by a Dutch fella i was chatting with pre-race. I was feeling strong and then it all went wrong ! the bloody seatpost of slippage kicked in 1/3 of the way into lap 2…. suddenly it had dropped 3″, closing in rapidly on 4″.
    I texted Mrs Weeksy for a quick repair on it… but she couldn’t get the Allen Key in while i was up out of the saddle… i had to stop for a few secs….. next thing the little hill in the volcano was there and i’d lost 19s !

I started again but by the time i got momentum back up, i was 27s behind the pack….. so i bailed.

Mrs Weeksy was confused…. LOL. But my intention for today wasn’t really a training/exercise thing, it was simply for the race and a top 5 finish… which sadly for me i felt was very much on the cards. I was only sitting at 164bpm, which is near the top of my abilty, but inside my comfort zone enough that i could have maintained it…

Nightmare !

nathb
    Free Member

@weeksy is it a carbon seatpost?

If so you need to get some fiber grip stuff: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/finish-line-fiber-grip-carbon-fibre-assembly-gel-50ml/

weeksy

Yup and yup I do. It did it at Abingdon too. It was 4″ lower than at start of race. I’m not blaming it, I’d already been dropped by the time it was an issue.
    Today though I’m a bit frustrated about lol. I took the proper grump with the wife even though it clearly wasn’t her fault. But I honestly felt I was on for a good finish and a fun battle of wits.

scaredypants

How about a wrap of duct tape round it, just above the clamp-point? Might at least slow it down a bit

weeksy

Won’t go in as too tight. I’ve just used a piece of brown packing tape which just about goes in. We’ll see next time. I honestly wasn’t planning on racing for a few months, but this one just fell nicely considering it now due lots of rain tomorrow so thought I’d play. Road bike wasn’t supposed to come out again but the Parkwood doesn’t have the gearing to run at the pointy end of C.

scaredypants

ah, no, I don’t mean in I mean above – it’ll “jam” at the entry point and slow down the slip

maybe

weeksy

Tried it previously mate. No good. There was some there today and at Abingdon. Doesn’t usually affect it indoors.

Either carbon paste or double clamp i think.

scaredypants

carbon paste is a must, yeah. If you’ve not done that before it might just see you right

or, yeah, a better clamp if it’s a standard fitting (and if your current clamp’s not great)

If not, is it a posh post ? how about an extra layer of expoxy with a nice ridge (after roughening the cosmetic surface of the post) and then a turn of tape over that to keep from chipping ? I did that with an old alloy post once and worked pretty well

weeksy
    scaredypants

It’s not my bike or my post lol

Well, there you go then. Araldite it is !

crosshair
    Free Member

50 mile London 8 group ride tomorrow guys. Around 18-19moh average. Regroup after Box hill. Meet at the start/finish @ 18:30.

weeksy

I’m trying something that’s likely to be over optimistic at 11am. Which is 100km at 2.4! Gulp. I don’t see it being possible for me, but I’ll give it a whirl and even if I bail, I plan on continuing on for the 100km

scaredypants

wow – what’s that, 3 hours or so ? 😯
    reckon I’d really struggle with motivation for that

weeksy

They’re saying that pace will be 2.5 hours. I think reading it, the front of group will be 3ish. Which may be where I struggle. If 2.2 in group I may make it. But hmmm.
    I’ve got snacks and energy bars ready!

scaredypants

Good book and/or a telly is what I’d be looking for

I’m going for a real ride today, I think. Not quite sure what to do any more 🙂

weeksy

I’m going to watch Celtic V rangers from 12. So it’s just what i do for first hour, but that may be concentrating.

I had a 4+ hour Ridgeway ride planned but the weather has scuppered that one.

crosshair
    Free Member

I’ve done KISS 100 before. Won C I think 🙂

weeksy

Not a race, just a social.

weeksy

Well that was fun! Sort of. Did the first 50km with the group. Averaged 249w for it. To be honest, that was more than I wanted, so at 49.5 I dropped off the back and did another 15km around 215w which was more where I wanted to be. Legs were heavy and tired so I called it quits about 65km in. I’m pretty happy. Sometimes I forget my place in the world and try to be better than I am.
    First 40km my HR was mostly around 138bpm, with a little kick up at the horse guards hill. So not all bad. The pace climbed a bit then as did my HR.

All in all, a good and enjoyable ride. Good group and lots of comms from ride leader

crosshair
    Free Member

Discord link for this evening-

https://discord.gg/FtPKtpM

That shouldn’t expire and should link to the voice channel directly now.

Viewing 40 posts - 3,841 through 3,880 (of 15,383 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.