• This topic has 15,382 replies, 380 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Caher.
Viewing 40 posts - 10,561 through 10,600 (of 15,383 total)
  • Zwift, my journey, my weight and my fitness.
  • robbo1234biking

Good work Weeksy. Isnt zwiftpower going to become more irrelevant and the race results are now listed in the companion app (with all rides not just those on zwiftpower)?

weeksy

yeah i saw that, i dont much care in honesty in that context, i just want exciting races and thatt was deffo exciting 🙂

nixie

Thing is Zwift have shown no interest in any kind of policing of categories. ZP does that, yeah its not perfect but it does work reasonably well. ZP also offers more that Zwift don’t, such as leagues. I think the most compelling point is that the KISS super league which Zwift appear to be well behind is being pushed via ZP rather than on a Zwift owned site. For those more interested in the racing ZP is going to be relevant for a while in my view.

weeksy

From a league context I’d like to see a race series of say 7-10 races, full and complete separation of Cats, so you race as a C against only Cs… Full DQ for over power riders and completely different layouts to suit the fat boys and the light boys. It would mean of course i won’t win…. but would be a series worth making time for.

With so many races being all Cats starting together it just screws up the racing as some Cs jump in with the Bs and that’s it… race is over…. You then get 1-2 WAY over power limits and it’s over again…. It’s all a bit screwy.

It’s a great idea, but needs work.

trailwagger
    Free Member

How the hell do zwift/turbos work out my cadence so accurately?!!?? its witchcraft I tell thee.

Noticed last night that its a lot more accurate recently. I don’t have a cadence sensor but zwift is able to calculate my cadence pretty accurately, even changes in cadence when I slow down/speed up. How does it know, and how does it know I haven’t just changed gear?

nixie

@weeksy the 3R ultimate racing league is like that, as was the wahoologan last autumn. 7 races of which best 5 count towards league table. Completely separate cat races. Variety of routes (2 laps Richmond long, 2 laps great London flat, Jungle circuit ITT and Volcano flat with volcano climb to finish). Neither of the last two race have been kind on the sprinters and the ITT catches out those who should be a cat higher. Its also very competitive!

@trailwagger
    my directo has a cadence sensor, it won’t be the only one.

weeksy

Excellent Nixie, will look into that 🙂

scaredypants

Anyone looking for a trainer?
    I see SportPursuit is flogging Direto (1, presumably) for £540 – that may be ded cheap or if it isn’t, might imply that there’ll be bigger bargins soon as the “2” comes fully onstream

beej

@trailwagger If your turbo is measuring power the torque isn’t constant all the way round your pedal stroke, so each revolution of the cranks will give two spikes for each full turn. Hence easy enough for the turbo to calculate the cadence from that, which it transmits to Zwift.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

decent ride yesterday, 14;40 Park Perimeter, course seems to suit me, highest post christmas wattage, slightly egged on by one of the other riders, motivated me a bit, randomly seemed to take an interest in me after i dragged him round half a lap solo, kept calling me out, we got caught by a small bunch, almost got dropped at one point towards the end of lap 3, had to dig in to get back on, got dropped at the same point on lap 4, solo’d in – 24/119 on the companion app

weeksy

Sat i did a Tour event, i’d ridden it before but wanted to clock up some KMs with company. Cruised it mostly and then a push up the volcano, set a PR on the volcano climb which was nice.

Sun i was bored at home and snowed in, so saw a mate about to start a 2 hour ride…. Pinged him a Whatsapp to confirm he was in and jumped on with him, we then did a 2 hour event and 65km… So a decent bit of non-competitive Zwifting over the weekend.

Struggling to find a nice event for today…. there’s an 8pm race series which i could do as it would be interesting… but 8pm is a bit late for riding.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Cruised it mostly and then a push up the volcano,

You can get off and push on zwift?

weeksy

You can get off and push on zwift?

The speed i go uphill, you’d be forgiven for thinking that was the case 🙂

frogstomp

Just ticking off my TdZ catch-ups.. managed Stage 1 on Saturday (with heavy legs from riding in / through the snow) and Stage 2 should complete the set this evening.

weeksy

Not a lot that looks fun today….Could i manage a 50Km race, 6 laps of the Innsbruckring.. Sheesh, i don’t know about that….

The rest are just Zwift tours though. But if i can’t hold a bunch on the hill etc it could be a very lonely 75 mins.

iamtheresurrection

Started the Norseman Winter Race on Saturday afternoon, cat E (whatever that is) and went off reasonably quickly top 60 or so out of 300.

As we hit the start of the Alpe du Zwift I realised that I was amongst MUCH stronger riders than me and by the third turn about 60 riders had come past me at about 4.5w/kg and I had passed nobody. Really, really demoralising, which meant soon I was struggling to hold 2.5 feeling sorry for myself. Wished I started the hill at the back of the group and picked the odd rider off.

My turbo was chucking out some odd readings too, so that was all I needed to bail after about 40 minutes. I wanted to throw my turbo out the window…

Managed to crack 13 minutes for the Jungle loop on Sunday, but two poor rides really. Snow has melted now so I’m going to get out for a ride in the woods tonight. Need a proper ride 🙂

scaled
    Free Member

Hmmm 3 stages of TdZ left, I should have got another one done last night while watching the superbowl.

Stages 6,7 and 8 though… Do i fancy the alpe on top of another 90k or so :S

welshfarmer

so anyone doing a race in the next hour or so?

weeksy

Dead. 54km race, that’s 160+ in the last 3 days

The little hill killed me, start of lap 5/6 I knew I was dead. Fell off my group and just held 220-240w for the last 12km

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=144869

Way out of my comfort zone that length race!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

just got a 2nd in B (ZP) !! best ever result in B

6pm 3R Watopia Flat Reverse, won by Dan Bigham with 5.1w/kg average and 403w NP – so just an easy spin for him

held onto the front group for a bit, then got dropped and managed to stay with the 2nd group, first split, we caught them, big group 30 riders at least, 14 riders within 1 second of each other, people were playing their aeros too soon, seemed to get mine spot on, steamed through the whole group bar 1, normally find myself going backwards through the group in the last km,

pleasantly pleased,

Results Here

weeksy

Nice power and HR!

mooman
    Free Member

iamtheresurrection

Subscriber

As we hit the start of the Alpe du Zwift I realised that I was amongst MUCH stronger riders than me and by the third turn about 60 riders had come past me at about 4.5w/kg and I had passed nobody. Really, really demoralising, which meant soon I was struggling to hold 2.5 feeling sorry for myself. Wished I started the hill at the back of the group and picked the odd rider off.

My turbo was chucking out some odd readings too, so that was all I needed to bail after about 40 minutes. I wanted to throw my turbo out the window…

We all been there. Toughest thing to do in that situation is just try and finish.

Decided last minute to do a race tonight. The 7.05pm advertised 27km 3R Gotham Grind Flat Race looked ideal … turns out it was only 17km though!!
    I been feeling washed out and constantly tired the last 2 weeks. So the shorter distance was probably a good thing after all.
    As expected for a very short race; it kicked off very fast, and aside from a couple of gentle breathers … it was fast.
    Managed to stay with the front group till 2km to go; just had no strength in legs to kick when they did final attack, and rode in 20 seconds off the front group for 4th B rider ZwiftPower results

scaredypants

It’s been over 4 weeks since I was last on zwift – been poorly and busy, then skiing, now busy again

Missing all the derring-do on the pacific ocean. Back in March with some racing hopefully

welshfarmer

Wasn’t really much happening tonight that caught my eye. Wasn’t keen to race in New York and really wanted to do a race with more than about 15 riders. The only one that cam,e close was the Tour de Zwift Stage 8 up and over Box Hill with a second climb and summit finish. Quite like that circuit and with 68 riders entered in the B race I thought I would give it a go. Almost didn’t get to start it due to crap internet and constant drop outs on the first lap resulted in me being dropped ever further down the field (It seems for every 5 seconds of lost internet connection you lose about 2 seconds on the road regardless how hard you pedal to compensate). When it settled down a bit I was in a small group of about 10 from 10-20th which I managed to drop most of on the last steep climb and following descent. So when the final climb came around there were 4 of us sat from 10-14th with no chance to catch leaders but far enough ahead of anyone else as not to worry. One guy blew out on the climb and I was just giving everything to hang on to a german lad just ahead. Used a feather on the final corner to get ahead but they other 2 came back at me on the run in to the line. Big gear, pedal like mad for last 100 metres and I took them both just on the line. Almost puked with the effort. HR went to 189 which is unheard of! I also got an FTP increase from 281 – 291 and after the results came in was give 6th in the B race. Happy with that. I was easily the heaviest rider in the top 10 too.

harrytoo
    Free Member

Nice to see more STWers on Zwift…..

I have a bit of an issue with Windows 10 and security settings.

Zwift was running fine up until tonight where I rode my arse off for over an hour, exited, saved to strava in the normal way but nothing…….

….so back to the manual way, documents / zwift / activities….. but the most recent activity in there was Saturdays final stage of the tour, nothing from today. So where is my ride?

Looking at the virus warning it would seem that my firewall has stopped zwift making “Unathorised changes to folder”, So what do I need to change to allow my rides to be saved, assume its all to do with my firewall settings that Zwift in the eyes of Windows 10 is no longer a trusted program?

harrytoo
    Free Member

Ignore the above….. think I’ve found the issue……

weeksy

That’s impressive on all counts farmer, position, HR and power increase.. Awesome stuff !

I’m on a day, maybe2 of rest/recovery meh….

robbo1234biking

On Sunday morning I did the Epic KOM ride. I realised that I have never done it before so thought that I should give it a go. It wasn’t actually that difficult just a long grind between 220 and 240W but the gradients weren’t as bad as I was expecting. Once I got to the top I also did the radio tower climb. The gradients are much worse on that one! It also seems a bit pointless as everyone just goes up at 3-5 mph but there doesn’t seem to be a reason to go up there. Flew back down as a cool down and luckily just pushed over into Level 12 unlocking Alpe du Zwift. Might be giving that a go at the weekend just to say that I have done it!

weeksy

Yeah that last section is a proper slog. I guess in the real world you’d do it just to get up and look at the views etc… but in Zwift world that’s not significant of course…. So, i dunno.

robbo1234biking

Yeh I think that the trouble. Other than to say that I have done it I don’t think I have any reason to go back up there. I don’t think I am going to do a race during the week this week. Going to do a few recovery commutes now the weather has improved and then hopefully do something on Saturday.

nixie

You can hit 100kph on the way down from the radio tower extension. It’s also useful in races.

weeksy

LOL you’re assuming there i can still pedal after getting to the top 🙂

Gotama
    Free Member

Zwift crash course required pls, tried reading this thread for tips but it’s mainly chat in amongs the info.

Just started using zwift want to get into some of the racing but…

Looking at a few races (knights tomorrow night for example) and it seems they want you to join their strava group. Are some better than others?

It looks like a registration with zwift power is required for the races, worth doing? Just seems like i need to register to whole load of groups etc for racing.

Is there a way to get my Garmin Vivoactive (which i use for HR) to talk to Zwift or the Kickr? Or easier just to get a Wahoo HR monitor?

Does the coloured block in front of a rider when you pass them equate to their category as defined by Zwift?

Lastly, i was riding round new york last night and someone gave me a thumbs up, not entirely sure why or how you do it. Using an iPad for Zwift.

If there is an idiots guide then send me there! Ta

weeksy

I am not in any Strava groups for the race series. I don’t know ‘knights’ though, not entered any of theirs. You may get more information from Strava/Facebook joining though but it won’t stop you from racing if you don’t.

Zwiftpower is where you see the results. If you want to be in the results in that context then you need to do it…. however, again, this won’t stop you from racing on the day.

The colour is the Cat they’ve entered, either by clicking in the pre-ride screen or in the Zwift companion App. Techincally you’re racing only the people in your C, but genrally you just race whoever is around you.

the thumbs up you get from clicking on their name on the list when riding, the one on right hand side. You can also do it within the Zwift App.

robbo1234biking

If your running zwift on the laptop with a ant + sensor then you can output your Garmin hr to that. The garmin doesn’t output Bluetooth I don’t think though.

nixie

I’ve not joined any strava groups other than my team one.

Zwift power is essential if you want to view the results in a sensible place (and keep a better track on how your doing).

I think you’ll need a bluetooth HRM to talk to your iPad. There are plenty of cheap ones that just work. No need to get a wahoo (I use a decathlon one which will talk to both Ant+ and bluetooth le).

The colour in front of a riders name in an event is their cat yes. There is nothing in front of their avatar which indicates cat.

Gotama
    Free Member

Ok, thanks. Will sign up to zwift power and sort out an hrm.

tomlevell

The coloured block denotes someone doing a Zwift workout.

ZPower is essential to make racing meaningful (whatever that means in online racing) IMO. Not just for you but other people also as they can then see who they have raced against and the results generally filter out people going over the category limits.

nixie

ah that coloured block (the orange hologram screen). If your device is sufficiently powerful enough that block has the other users live data on it from their workout.

Flaperon

Starting to enjoy Zwift a little more now that I’ve got a laptop that can actually play it at more than 15 FPS, and I reached level 10 yesterday.

Did a race up Alpe du Zwift this evening, came second in B category and quite pleased with result. Was an inch from toppling from the bike at the end; there’s something about racing real people that makes you work harder.

So from initially being quite skeptical of the whole thing I’m beginning to really enjoy it. My neighbours still think I’m mad.

Can’t see myself on it every time I use the turbo – there’s a lot to be said for loading an easy workout on TrainerRoad and just spinning away while watching a crap film.

Viewing 40 posts - 10,561 through 10,600 (of 15,383 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.