• This topic has 15,382 replies, 380 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Caher.
Viewing 40 posts - 8,601 through 8,640 (of 15,383 total)
  • Zwift, my journey, my weight and my fitness.
  • weeksy

Go have a try on yours and see if you can find anything. You got an Android device ?

crosshair
    Free Member

Nope. But there’s definitely no wheel circumference setting anywhere in the app even when set as a new device.

As I say- my understanding is that it doesn’t matter for a SNAP as there’s no missing wheel to compensate for. Ie the wheel diameter is already influencing its variability by how fast it’s turning the roller.

nathb
    Free Member

It’s been a while Zwifters!!

Those that know me will be aware I bought a house in December and have literally spent every waking hour DIY’ing in Dec/Jan/Feb. With no working kitchen it meant eating out (often at the local sainsbury’s cafe) and then in Feb microwave meals as it was the only appliance I had access to in the new kitchen.

I left Zwift last year with a FTP of 337w @ 68kg or 4.96w/kg (I’m 6ft).

In Feb I was resided in the fact that the house work wasn’t moving as quickly as I had anticipated, I was getting fat and becoming increasingly unhappy without exercise. Therefore I decided I NEEDED to get back on the bike/zwift.

Jumped straight in on the 15th Feb with an FTP test to see what the damage was. The result was an FTP of 284w @ 74kg = 3.8w/kg!! With reassurance from some STW’ers that it’ll come back in a few weeks of just Z2’ing.

On 13th March, after just Z2’ing as much as I could, a plan was formed! All good cycling plans however start with a FTP test – this time a much more positive 300w @ 73kg / 4.11w/kg. Happy with that for a month of Z2’ing!

Next one is 3 weeks on Saturday were I’m hoping to see 315w @ 72kg, but we shall see.

This was basically a really long post to say I’m back, but not racing yet and did you miss me? 🙂

blader1611
    Free Member

Welcome back Nathb,

We have missed the wattbombs but thankfully quite a few of our resident zwifters have been on bombing patrol of late. I think at one stage stw was raking in trophies like smarties. I saw you were back on zwift a few weeks ago so sent you a few ride ons for encouragement. I reckon you will be back up to speed in a month although it would have been nice if you had joined us fat biffers in cat B. Happy cycling.

weeksy

Course we did Nath… Howver, You’ve been replaced.

We now have better races in the team… So we’ll leave you on the Subs bench for now and maybe bring you on if you find some form 🙂

Hugs.

weeksy

Well i’m not even sure where to begin with this report… Very strange and completely different to yesterday.

I never did find the setting for the wheel, so am assuming it’s not there. I checked eveywhere, but as CH said, it’s not there.

So i jumped on for a WBR 2 lap of Greater London flat. Same course i rode yesterday. But the field was different (and bigger) the tactics were different, my HR was different and so was my power !

Weighted average today, 260w. Yesterday was 229w.  Sure, yesterday was a lap further, but in honesty apart from the last KM of damn hard work i was doing fairly OK. HR today was an average of 170 with a final max sprint of 180.  But i was looking at 172-174 a fair bit and thinking “This is DAMN hard, but it’s not impossible”. I covered most attacks and sat near but rarely on the front, letting a few others do the work.

One guy came past us and went off at 6w/kg, so i left him to it… but other than that i was OK. Coming to the underpass 1 guy had kicked off the front 300m earlier called Selfors, but he was a B and i couldnt’ do much about him. Out of the underpass i gave it a good go to hold the bunch i was in… but it then sits at 3% incline, which isn’t much to some, but to us big lads, 3% is enough at 340w-360w to put me in the red… when we turned right and had a slight downhill i needed to grab some lungfulls and see if i was alive… next bit is flat/false flat and i was OK…. down to the turn towards the finish it just turned into insanity with 700m to go…. watts here, watts there, positioning etc… I waited as long as i could and tried to sit at about 380w and then kick with 300m to go, but there wasn’t much kick in me sadly… Ended up from 5th – 12th in C group were 1s apart and had 3-4 B’s in there too..

The one major difference today was, i was riding in 1 gear higher (or is it lower.. smaller cog anyway). This is my final gear on the 29er, bottom cog, It’s either an 11 or 12 on a 34T front. I felt on other days it was too tough a gear and my cadence would be too low, but in honesty it wasn’t a bad gear, i was sitting about 91-93rpm which was 245-255w showing on screen.

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=49404

All in all…. Interesting race.. made even more so by 26 Zwift records, including a long section which was nearly 50s quicker today than it was yesterday ! scary thing was, yesterdays was 3rd best ever at the time…. It was 25s quicker than my best ever… Sure, a chunk of that was drafting and the bunch i was in today. But the overall power today has pleased me and makes me think that maybe not all is lost and i’ve just been being a big girls blouse lately 😀

Onwards !

Tiger6791

Must be Tuesday night STW Zwift night!

Anyway another cheeky race born of guilt (too much bad food) was going great guns in C with a massive group running the best I’ve ever seen a big group run flat course 45kph all the way…

I had loads in my legs and was enjoying it, about 20km in half way a crying child with ear ache appears beside me….

Race abandoned to sort upset child..

Oh well there’s always tomorrow

weeksy

Nooooo. I kept checking on the live section on ZP and saw you at the pointy end of them. Then finished out the back!

You smashed my times that’s for sure!

Tiger6791

It was shaping up to be a great race, I was proper enjoying it.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

did the lunchtime WBR 2 Laps London Hilly at 12:05 – i thought it was at 1215, so jumped on with about 2 minutes to spare after putting the little one for a lunch nap, luckily he slept through,

felt much better than after i abandoned the other night, Quarq was all correct, updated and zero’d, still not a fan of London, not sure why, tried to stay with the front group as long as i could dropped off before the first box hill climb, got stuck in no mans land, got passed by a few c’s going up, just plugged on, reeled a few in on the down and flat, jumped on a lagging A’s wheel for a few km, just focused on keeping a decent gap on the riders behind me, finished 4th in C, but upgraded to 3rd in the results, 3rd completed race, 3rd cup, clearly knocking on the door of a low B as i was bang on 3.1w/Kg

numbers? FTP increase from 251w —> 267w Neo clearly reads lower than a Quarq, weight remains static at 85kg though, although I’m not trying to do anything about this, never have, so don’t feel bad about that,

won the prize for HR again as well, average of 186bpm over 1:02:04 and a max of 197bpm, not sure if thats a good thing or very healthy for me, although i never felt uncomfortable

weeksy

Great work DR. Step from C to B is hard imo, pointy end of C is almost last in B. But rewarding on the right day.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

yup, my time would have given me 17/19 in B, thats not a bad thing at all in the grand scheme of things, especially at the end of the day, its only you own w/kg you care about

scaled
    Free Member

Back on it a bit. 116k ain’t bad for a Tuesday 😀

Tiger6791

Saw that, nutter 😀👍

tomlevell

HR is a personal thing. I can get mine just over 180 outdoors. Don’t think I’ve got it over 175 on the turbo.

I’ve stuck to staying in B even though every race I’m still just in the C band. I’d win most of the C races I’ve entered since upgrading or 2nd generally to a heavier rider with more power. I think a lot of it is about the ability to maintain a decent wattage from the start and enough tenacity to hang onto a stronger group until the pace lets up a bit. Whereas the true C’s are riding together at a slighty easier pace and losing too much time to get back later.

Keep meaning to do a long flat one which I should do better on than the recent hilly ones but there never seems to be one on at the right time.

weeksy

Starts are crazy hard now, to be getting away with the Bs you need to be throwing in 500w for the first 2 mins… I can’t actually do that ! I’m done before we’re even 2km in if i hold that sort of effort. So i generally go 550-600 off the line and then setting at 350-400 for the next 90s…. That puts me usually in group 2 on the road, which is the decent Cs.

TiRed

500w for two minutes! What will I need in the A’s? Was expecting a nice roll out to warm up : D . Club ride last night where I got dropped (thanks Zwift). Then a 45 km ride home, most of which was in 53×12 due to cable and shifter failure. Trike today for recovery.

Might race something later but time to get back to road racing.

weeksy

I think the starts are one of them times where power>weight is better for the lighter guys… at 500w it’s going to be showing you at 6.5w/kg i guess… that seems to be PROPER numbers…. Right up there for an A start i’d guess… But when you get off the line you’re not up to speed so it takes time for the heavier guys to get the momentum and the Zwift effect of drafting/aero. So you may be OK at 500w, whereas the big lads like me are putting in say 400w but at only 4.2w/kg so taking longer to get up to desired speed and the draft/weight advantages.

tomlevell

I’m not finding that effort required. Second group in the last few races which is drifting off the back of the front group needs about 400w off the line and holding 300 to 330w average for 2km.

Holding the front group needed 500w off the line and then down to similar average for a 45 minute race.

1 short lap at the pointy end have needed 600w off the line and barely drop below 300 for the 15minutes. Those settle down into 320-330w average over the first few km though. I get blown out in the last km in them generally when it ramps back up.

crosshair
    Free Member

It’s not as hot as that Weeksy- it just feels like it. You averaged 320 for the first 2 mins yesterday and last race I did, 380 for two mins was enough to hold the lead group.

weeksy

it just feels like it.

Ain’t that the truth 😀

Tiger6791

380w isn’t a lot If you’re shifting 90kg but if it’s only 75kg then it’s a big difference.

380w @ 75kg = 460w @ 90kg to go the same speed (I think 🤔)

therfore us fat lads would have unload the Wattbazooka pretty big to keep up.

How do I find out what Watts I was doing out of the start of yesterday’s race?

weeksy

use your mouse on your Strava on ‘analysis’

Hold and drag on the power bit…. I have you at 318w for the first 2.3km

368w for the first 1.2km.

Tiger6791

Found it! Oooh love stats, yep looks about right, 620-650w for the first 15 seconds though to get on front of C group

So ir reckon that would need 1000w burst then 450-500w to hold a ‘A’ group! (maybe) :-0

tomlevell

On the flat, as most starts are, bigger and taller will need a bit more power but not that much more. Zwiftinsider website has data for how much more is needed. Of course if the start goes up the Watopia KOM you need to start putting out bigger watts to keep up if you’re heavier.

crosshair
    Free Member

The first two mins of a TFC race to hold the lead group and I’m not a light chap either 🤣

weeksy

Hi Steve,

Thanks for contacting Wahoo customer support. I know a lot of people are talking about this, but it shouldn’t be too much different for you if you have just changed from a road bike as the 29er has exactly the same rim circumference, you will only need to worry about extra tire size. For this I think it would be relevant to change it in Zwift as that is the program receiving the data from your Snap. I’ll put a link in here for you to check out:

https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000998626-Tire-Size-Comparison-Chart

I think the very last tire size (35-622) in the list will be the one you need to input into Zwift.
    If you should have any further questions please don’t hesitate to ask.

Reply in from Zwift support. Can’t actually see where/if this is possible as i’m in the office, but i assume it’s somewhere within the pairing/trainer options ?

Tiger6791

Quick race to make up for yesterday (3rd overall 🙂 Yay! )*

And FTP to 307W!!!! Double Yay!!

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=49567

*very small field

(oh and I took little ‘un to Docs and she has a fever, tonsillitis and an ear infection and has had a blood test so it’s fair enough she was upset)

tomlevell

I think you need to upgrade to B. Your actual FTP is over 3.2 as standard.

;0)

Tiger6791

Done! Changed to ‘B” happy about that seen as I was ‘D’ 2 weeks ago

weeksy

LOL you’re still a beast… I can’t race today..

P.S, not showing as a 3rd 😉

blader1611
    Free Member

Nice going Tiger, another few weeks at that rate of improvement should see you in the A group 😃.

i decided to do something a little crazy this morning. I did the ECC slaughterhouse ride up the mountain this morning, as its a social ride i took it fairly steady. The reason for this was i was going to do the EVR immediately afterwards which was also 1 lap of the mountain, double mountain sounded like a good idea when i hatched the plan. I was going to experiment and do some weight doping by dropping 10kg for the EVR race but i forgot to change my weight (doh!). Anyway the ECC ride wasnt as steady as i would have liked and ended up avg 243w and 3.3w/kg so not exactly fresh going in to the evr race. I managed to get out of the blocks with the A group till the mountain and then it all broke up but i was riding up with a couple of B’s and an A and it was tough going. I was hanging on for a while and then leading them all up for long sections. I got dropped by about 5 secs on a bit of flat/descent but i managed to get that back up the climb to the radio tower. I started pulling away and by the top i put 6 seconds on them. I hurled it down the hill and hit any little ramps at full gas (over 500w) and actually caught an A rider whose wheel i towed all the way to the finish. Couple of riders in front of me got upgraded and left me with GOLD!. i have no idea how i managed that but what i am certain of is that i now need a day off the bike.

weeksy

HAhahahaha and you and Tiger have called me mental in the past ! You’re both lunatics…

I soooooo need a day off…. Don’t make me race !

njee20
    Free Member

Was going to do the WBR 4-lap flat yesterday, but computer took so long to boot up that I missed the start, which was a pain. Just did 2 laps of the London loop, which made me realise how annoying it is there’s no “pacer” as I decided I wanted to do the second lap quicker, but until you’re at the finish you’ve got no ideas. Surprisingly enjoyable though, I always race, but riding was quite good fun. Particularly with a bit of a target.

Intrigued by all the noise about the new ‘Alpe d’Zwift’ (my name) I see Eric Min posted a 10 mile ride with 3000′ of climbing in it, which isn’t insignificant. I can’t help but think it’ll be a bit shit though – an enormously long slog up, meaning no one’s there, and a stupid descent where you may as well just go and make a cup of tea. I find the descent of Fox Hill bad enough (although it did mean I could get off and get a towel yesterday), and the mountain’s even worse.

Tiger6791

Team STW isn’t looking too shabby this week 👍

blader1611
    Free Member

Weeksy, you know you want to. What harm can a little race do? The voice of zwift is calling you, its saying to use your new found power to fill the stw trophy cabinet.

Kryton57

If you want a companion you’re welcome to ride alongside me as I do my 3×20 tonight Njee, where you can scoff away and keep me honest.

I’m also considering entering a race and working to that power with a wonder to how it’d pan out doing 3 x TT’s with 2×5 min rest periods in a race scenario.  Dire I’d expect but it’d be fun if I joined/formed a group with everyone doing my 20min with me 😀

njee20
    Free Member

There are workout sessions with everyone doing just that – never really looked at them, but everyone rides at the speed of the slowest rider, so you do all stay together whilst doing your 20 minute efforts, regardless of whether that’s 100w or 400w.

A race would just be a waste of time – it’s a race, you’ll be riding harder than the group, so you’ll probably be at/off the front for 20 minutes and then you’ll go straight through the bunch when you have a rest.

Kryton57

Yeah its finding a session at my target w/kg is the issues.  For instance, tomorrow is 1h:10 interval at 3.2w/kg which is akin to Z2 in the boredom stakes albeit a tad harder,.  For me its that kind of session it’d be good to ride around with others.

Acknowledge the race issue, the fun bit would be to see where I cam in the race…

scaled
    Free Member

My HRM completely failed to register last night, changed battery and still nothing. Anyone had any luck reviving a dead one?

I did a nice 62k warm up before last nights CVR race, the 2,5w/kg ride that i’d joined didn’t quite go to plan, 6 laps of classique was infact sprint intervals, i did manage a sub 9.5s sprint though so not a total failure waste :D. I wasn’t racing for anything or anyone so just had the odd dig when i had something to burn, it got to the second to last lap and my legs completely imploded on the little rise so I just sat up and soloed it to the end.  Quite good fun and it’s good to have some miles in the legs again. Operation 1k km/month still on track.

Viewing 40 posts - 8,601 through 8,640 (of 15,383 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.