• This topic has 15,382 replies, 380 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Caher.
Viewing 40 posts - 681 through 720 (of 15,383 total)
  • Zwift, my journey, my weight and my fitness.
  • monkfish
    Free Member

Wilburt. The Wahoo range are pretty good.

thv3
    Free Member

I’m up for trying that BRS time trial on Tuesday, should be fun 🙂

nathb
    Free Member

Tonight’s WBR 5km TT is going to be interesting – it’s what 6-10 minutes of all out power. I should imagine a lot of folk pumping out 5+w/kg.

I’ll get my playlist ready – 2x heavy metal tracks or something (I hate heavy metal so it will encourage me to cycle faster to end my ears suffering haha).

weeksy

I’m potentially going to have to go with the EVR Europe later on. Even though it really doesn’t suit as it’s quite climby. But i need a bit of a ‘push’ again as i’ve been a little weak on effort levels over the weekend, so need a little incentive to get back out trying hard again.

wilburt
    Free Member

I’ve done a couple of those EVR races recently and really liked them, much like KISS rides but a little earlier. Last time out got into a tussle with some German riders very good racing.

stumpy01

Stupid question, but I’m not finding the Zwift interface that straight forward, so am probably missing something very simple.

When you finish a ride, you get a page up that gives you some stats on that ride; a power graph, with your average power line & same for HR etc.

Anyway I can look at that info after saving. Looking on the Zwift site itself, just shows you the activity, but no more than the basics in terms of information & although they upload to Strava it still doesn’t show the info that gets shown at the end of the ride.

No big deal, but it would be nice to look back at it.

Also – I haven’t done an FTP test yet – gonna wait until I buy a smart trainer – hopefully after Christmas –
    Do I have to have done an FTP test (or a race) for Zwift to give me a w/kg number?
    While riding, I hover around 2.2w/kg but does this get saved anywhere; I know I can work it out from avg watts in the ride summary…..but still…..??

mrblobby
    Free Member

Tonight’s WBR 5km TT is going to be interesting – it’s what 6-10 minutes of all out power. I should imagine a lot of folk pumping out 5+w/kg.

See lots of mention of w/kg on this thread when TT’s in real life are more about outright watts (well actually W/CdA.) Is there more of a levelling out by weight in Zwift algorithms or are all the simulated courses sufficiently lumpy to even things out a bit? (Edit… or it’s conceivable that they derive a virtual CdA from kg as there is typically some correlation?)

FWIW, I have a similar w/kg to someone I often time trail (in real life) against. He weighs about 10kg more than me and has proportionally more power (I possibly have a slightly better CdA.) He always beats me 🙁 😉

wilburt
    Free Member

The interface is pretty poor, so much so that even after 18 months of use I still dont really use it.
    After a ride I look at zwiftpower (which gives you w/kg) if it was a race or strava which does give you all that was on the ride end screen (possibly premium only?)

Not sure about the ftp question as I’ve done several tests so its always been there for me.
    I wouldn’t worry about doing a test on dumb trainer btw its the same calculation whatever the trainer type. Smart trainers just mean you get resistance but they still calculate your power from how fast your spinning the wheel given the known resistance for that trainer. The only alternative is a strain gauge power meter which very few trainers have.

I would do a ftp test and do a few races or sub events.

wilburt
    Free Member

dit… or it’s conceivable that they derive a virtual CdA from kg as there is typically some correlation?)

Yes I think so.

FWIW I find it quite realistic to riding IRL in that I’m a chunky chap and not bad at sitting TT’ing along but chuck a hill of any length into the mix and back I go.

nathb
    Free Member

mrblobby

See lots of mention of w/kg on this thread when TT’s in real life are more about outright watts (well actually W/CdA.) Is there more of a levelling out by weight in Zwift algorithms or are all the simulated courses sufficiently lumpy to even things out a bit? (Edit… or it’s conceivable that they derive a virtual CdA from kg as there is typically some correlation?)

FWIW, I have a similar w/kg to someone I often time trail (in real life) against. He weighs about 10kg more than me and has proportionally more power (I possibly have a slightly better CdA.) He always beats me

Just using the standard W/KG as that’s how the categories are done. I think it does calculate all the Cda data in the background using your height/weight etc. But I’m not sure it ever gives you that figure?

I was reading up on how W/KG works, if both riders are 6ft for instance and one rider is 80kg with 2.5W/KG they will always be faster than a 70kg rider with 2.5W/KG. This is because aerodynamically they require almost the same Watts to keep them moving against the air. Which then leaves a lot of spare Watts for the bigger rider. (Apologies if that is nothing new, but it interested me).

zilog6128

Anyway I can look at that info after saving. Looking on the Zwift site itself, just shows you the activity, but no more than the basics in terms of information & although they upload to Strava it still doesn’t show the info that gets shown at the end of the ride.

Analysis (power curve/distribution) is available as a Strava Premium member (possibly also Training Peaks, etc)

(Edit… or it’s conceivable that they derive a virtual CdA from kg as there is typically some correlation?)

I’ve read some empirical evidence that height has a measurable impact on speed over a course (everything else being constant) which implies that’s how they derive CdA (not sure if weight is also a factor)

beej

Yep, in my experience as a lightweight, I’m often putting out more w/kg to sit in bunches on the flat than others in the bunch, and that’s with a decent virtual bike + zipps. I can be doing 3.2 w/kg in a bunch with most others around 2.7 w/kg. My actual watts will be 215-220 (at 67kg), so those around me will be about the 80kg mark.

It’s slightly annoying but does make real life sense. I’m much better on the hilly stuff, or even the little kickers that last 10-30 seconds.

stumpy01

wilburt – Member

The interface is pretty poor, so much so that even after 18 months of use I still dont really use it.
    After a ride I look at zwiftpower (which gives you w/kg) if it was a race or strava which does give you all that was on the ride end screen (possibly premium only?)

Not sure about the ftp question as I’ve done several tests so its always been there for me.
    I wouldn’t worry about doing a test on dumb trainer btw its the same calculation whatever the trainer type. Smart trainers just mean you get resistance but they still calculate your power from how fast your spinning the wheel given the known resistance for that trainer. The only alternative is a strain gauge power meter which very few trainers have.

I would do a ftp test and do a few races or sub events.

Cheers. Yeah, I was waiting until I get a new ‘smart’ trainer, purely because I am using an unlisted trainer at the moment (and old Tacx) and just chose the nearest one in the list of Tacx trainers & set the resistance accordingly.

If I wait until I get a new trainer (gonna go for the Tacx Flow Smart) then at least I will know that the numbers should be closer to what they should be.
    Annoyingly, I was supposed to get a small bonus at the end of November in my pay packet that was going to pay for the smart trainer….but I’ve had to delay it a month, as it was processed too late to make it into my Nov pay….!

zilog6128 – Member

Analysis (power curve/distribution) is available as a Strava Premium member (possibly also Training Peaks, etc)

Ah. I did wonder if it was a Strava premium thing. Oh well. Not gonna bother with that, as I can’t really justify another monthly outlay….

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’ve read some empirical evidence that height has a measurable impact on speed over a course (everything else being constant) which implies that’s how they derive CdA (not sure if weight is also a factor)

Height doping an issue? I wonder how many dwarfs there are on zwift? 🙂

I was reading up on how W/KG works, if both riders are 6ft for instance and one rider is 80kg with 2.5W/KG they will always be faster than a 70kg rider with 2.5W/KG. This is because aerodynamically they require almost the same Watts to keep them moving against the air. Which then leaves a lot of spare Watts for the bigger rider. (Apologies if that is nothing new, but it interested me).

Kind of. It really does depend on how quickly you’re going as the power needed to overcome drag increases sharply as your speed rises. The faster you can go the more it’s about CdA (drag). See here….

Note that the power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. A car cruising on a highway at 50 mph (80 km/h) may require only 10 horsepower (7.5 kW) to overcome air drag, but that same car at 100 mph (160 km/h) requires 80 hp (60 kW).[16] With a doubling of speed the drag (force) quadruples per the formula. Exerting four times the force over a fixed distance produces four times as much work. At twice the speed the work (resulting in displacement over a fixed distance) is done twice as fast. Since power is the rate of doing work, four times the work done in half the time requires eight times the power.

You can do the maths to work out how much lower your CdA would need to be to compensate for the fewer watts, and at higher speeds a small change in drag is equivalent to a much larger change in power.

So to smash your PB’s in a time trail, it’s either a long hard winter of training to find a few extra watts, or a grand for some wind tunnel time for someone to tweak you into a slightly different position 😡

(at 67kg)

Hi Beej. You should come do the Walbury Hill climb 🙂

zilog6128

Ah. I did wonder if it was a Strava premium thing. Oh well. Not gonna bother with that, as I can’t really justify another monthly outlay….

bit late now probably, but Strava premium members (£4/month) also got free Zwift membership (£8/month) for Nov & Dec, so actually worked out cheaper! 🙂

nathb
    Free Member

I have no idea @mrblobby I thought the resistance was almost identical for the 70kg and 80kg rider. I’ll not be doing any TT’s anytime soon other than Zwift 🙂

Walbury Hill climb sounds fun, I’m going to add that to the list of potentials for next year. Need to get my weight down by a few kg first.

Also 60 days of strava premium, found via google: http://promo.strava.com/britishcycling/

fifeandy
    Free Member

Yep, in my experience as a lightweight……(at 67kg).

Sorry, at 67kg, admission to the lightweight club is denied – you’re far too heavy to properly appreciate the suffering the big lads dish out on the flat 😀

AdamW
    Free Member

I’m now looking to get a training schedule worked out on Zwift. I’ve been looking at the 6 week FTP builder but reviews have said it was not up to much (way too easy for building).

Possibly Mon – Fri Hard/recovery and a longer ride on Sunday, Saturday being a rest day.

You can get other workouts (including a load of sufferfest ones) online at http://www.zwiftworkouts.com/

mrblobby
    Free Member

nathb, it really does depend on the individual and how hard they work on their aero. Aerocoach published this chart a while back showing a correlation between mass and drag… as you can see, a heavy bloke with “good” aero commonly has about the same drag than a 10kg lighter bloke with “poor” aero…

Walbury Hill climb sounds fun, I’m going to add that to the list of potentials for next year. Need to get my weight down by a few kg first.

It’s a great event. Large field. Reasonably big prizes. Closed roads. Attracts some of the country’s top hill climbers. And is run by my local club 🙂

beej

Sorry, at 67kg, admission to the lightweight club is denied – you’re far too heavy to properly appreciate the suffering the big lads dish out on the flat

That’s my winter weight!

@MrBlobby – I’ve been on holiday for the past 3 years when it’s on, otherwise I’d have done it already – though hill climbs are horribly hurty.

jamiep
    Free Member

I calibrated my new Tacx 2240 last night. The roller is very, very tight pressured against (actually into) the tyre. Is that right? Pushing the lever to get the roller onto the tyre is almost too difficult

nathb
    Free Member

mrblobby –
    It’s a great event. Large field. Reasonably big prizes. Closed roads. Attracts some of the country’s top hill climbers. And is run by my local club

If my racing career is still err happening I’m game for that. Is it on the BC website?

(last non zwift post)

alexxx
    Free Member

How have you calibrated it Jamie?

Also you can adjust the tension of the wheel against the roller – make sure you built up the turbo with the bolt in the right position. But yes mine distorts the tyre for a snug fit. I’d say its tight not very very tight

jam-bo

CRC currently running a live competition to win a tacx Neo

and yes. 2240 roller seems very tight. mine is within the OK band but towards the lower end. I did tighten it up further but then it wouldnt calibrate.

pahoehoe
    Free Member

Jamiep- calibrated using the tacx app? Mine is similarly tight – despite this had some slippage yesterday so wound it on some more. Still within the lines on the tacx calibration app though.

Edit – yeah what they^^ said.

mrblobby
    Free Member

nathb, not sure if it’s on BC, it’ll most likely on the CTT website.

Re Zwift, I signed up for the trial to see if the mirroring on the iPad would work assuming my new clever turbo would be here soon. Unfortunately I think my trial will expire before it arrives 🙁

In other Zwift news, I hear my club mate Rachael made it to the Zwift Academy final three. She’s not taken the place though due to the next step being a two week training camp and not being able to get the time off! Having recently started a job she loves she’d likely have to give it up on a one in three chance of a pro contract. What a choice to have to make!

jamiep
    Free Member

calibrated with the tacx app. Bolt is correct (upper hole, for 700c). The resistance is much higher than I was expecting, and I smash my knuckles when shoving the blue lever into place

nathb
    Free Member

Thanks @mrblobby

Are you using trainer tyres, or regular road tyres?
    I’m pretty sure that on my Tacx Vortex the middle of 3 bolts was used during assembly 27/28/29 wheels accommodated on it.

alexxx
    Free Member

Hmm not sure as I didn’t even know you were meant to use the app to calibrate I just do it by feel and obviously if the tyre slips it needs to go a bit tighter.

What PSI are you running?

wilburt
    Free Member

it shouldn’t be so tight you have to struggle to close the lever, slacken it off a little. It has to be pretty slack to get any slippage and you can easily tell (usually on the final sprint hills on watopia flat).

jamiep
    Free Member

I have a new trainer tyre at 110psi. It is calibrated right in the middle of the spirit level-type markings. I guess I’ll loosen the dial so it is still calibrated within the markings but towards the left

alexxx
    Free Member

Sounds sensible as even how tight I have mine feels a little too tight for the strength of the clip, however I never go over 300 watts and mainly stay under 200 watts so it’s ok for me, I guess the main thing is to make sure you’re always using the same tyre and psi and resistance and if it’s not slipping it’s probably ok?

weeksy

Signed on for EVR tonight 7.30pm.

nathb
    Free Member

Not fancy the 3 mile TT at 7:05 Weeksy?

I’m tempted by both, even if I do come last in my category (my legs are knackered).

weeksy

Bit too short and likely to cook me. If I ride that I won’t make 7.30 too.

nathb
    Free Member

7pm may be cutting it too fine for me to get home in time and get setup.

Not sure I can cope with 6-7 mins of pure pain then a 45? min race after.. although I’m tempted to sit on someones wheel for it 😆

fisha
    Free Member

I’m enjoying the zwift setup so far. My only issue seems to be numb nuts ! … I think I have changed ( not ridden the bike I’m using in quite a while), or the turbo setup is changing my weight bearing/balance on the bike. Having to fiddle with the saddle at the moment.

wilburt
    Free Member

Loss of all sensation down there is worrying!!
    I have some bars on the roof/ceiling which are useful to take the weight for a while.

crosshair
    Free Member

Who’s on a Team then? I’m a member of team TFC based around the Friday Criterium race series. One of our members even affiliated us with BC so we’re legit 🙂 We’ve used the CCRCA yellow kit as our team kit but now have a real life version so hopefully Zwift will add it to the game for us soon.

weeksy

What’s the benefits of the team stuff?

Viewing 40 posts - 681 through 720 (of 15,383 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.