Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 133 total)
  • Your riding
  • JonEdwards
    Free Member

Pretty decent at most things. 15th overall at the weekender having ended up with a 4min penalty on the trials which really annoyed me as I should have breezed that.

I do a fair variety or riding – fair bit of road and a range of offroad, mostly biased to the technical gravity side, but with a desire to get back to the top quickly so I can get more runs in. Mix up hardtails and full sus, flats and spuds all the time. Very little (except proper DJ stuff) I can’t have a good attempt at riding, but I’m out of practice at big jumps at the mo.

Weaknesses? Ride on my own too much, so never get properly pushed to my limits. Tend to take a slow trialsy approach to technical stuff, when I probably should just hit the section flat out and pinball through.

jordanm
    Free Member

Hand on heart, considerably above average…
    At imagining the horrific injuries that will befall me when I hit a hidden stump going too fast on a descent.
    Quite good at other things – stalling on tech-y uphills etc – but the above is my most notable ability.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Far far better climber than I’d like to acknowledge, always up the top before any of my mates, bit like a goat, technical or smooth. Super fast XC JayBoi on flowing singletrack and fit as..Can leave my mates all except two (who are fitter than I am..)
    Can’t decend for toffee unless it’s slow tight technical stuff.

Would hold up 8/10 plaquard… here it is waving at you.

rOcKeTdOg

Fine in roots and mud, crap myself on anything rocky, luckily it’s all trees mud and roots around here, no where near as fit as i want to be yet

Junkyard
    Free Member

I thought i was above average till i read this

but I’ll add “a right mincer in the wet” and acknowledge the fact that I’ve got some pretty awful technique, drag the brakes too much, don’t commit enough in corners and steep switchbacks (speed is your friend, off the brakes, etc) I enter too slowly, brake all the way round but normally manage to thrutch my way round somehow.
    could do better

As I ride with him and he is better than me up and down [ I am better at switchbacks though – what a win]I would have to say worse than i thought 😥

When I compare it to STW rides I have been on top 30% ish up and down. Some of those above me were absolutely miles better than me though. DONK would be top 3 up and down despite what he says and he has the socks to prove it 😉

njee20
    Free Member

DONK would be top 3 up and down despite what he says and he has the socks to prove it

Now that depends who turns up shirley?

If Blazin_Saddles, Gee and MTBMatt were around he’d be in for a surprise. Unless he really is quick 😉

D0NK

Now that depends who turns up shirley?

absolutley

Unless he really is quick

only compared to the people I normally ride with, HtN showed me up for the slacker that I am 🙂

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I’m a confidence rider: if I’m feeling confident, I can ride pretty much anything. If I’m feeling rubbish, I’ll firmly retreat to my comfort zone.

Otherwise, bizzarely fearless at speed, rubbish at steep super tech, hopeless at jumps and drops.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Everything scares me and is a struggle. Which is the attraction.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Very steady long distance plodder (will get through pretty much any ride with a smile and a grimace, I’ve gone 12, 24 and 36 hours even, suspect I could go to 48!). Have placed top 10 at an endurance race, usually more top likely to be a comfortable top 20, poss top 15 finisher though.

But also seem to be a pretty competent descender and singletrack rider when there’s still a degree of pedalling still involved. Have a few trail centre descent and local top 10s on *cough* Strava. Not quite so good when it gets a bit looser and more balls out.

Bit average and somewhat timid on steeper, tech. Fine if it’s dry but as soon as you throw mud and roots into the equation I start to bottle. Northern steps riding scares the bejesus out of me but probably more from a lack of doing it.

Seem to have fairly good power on the flat and lesser climbs, quite a weak climber as it ramps up. Quite competent on technical climbs though.

Fitness on the day seems to be really inconsistent too which is frustrating.

timnwild

SOrt of OK at most things, but need to work on my confidence – a couple of goes at something hard (techy descent, big drop, jump) and it’s fine, but no good for riding trail centres when you want to hit all that forst time.

A bit shit at climbing hills, mind.

klumpy
    Free Member

I first put wheels on dirt when my bike had stabilisers and the pedals went into the front wheel – over 30 yrs ago – and never stopped, but I have never raced, or been coached. So cycling offroad I’m just completely and utterly at ease, but probably do quite a few things “wrong”.

I will happily aim at a lump and jump off it, but actual proper air (gap jumps, kickers, and all that) is alien to me. And this must be fixed sometime!

tinsy
    Free Member

A lot worse than I remember. 🙂

scunny
    Free Member

technically – one of the best of the group (most don’t jump, don’t have history of riding bmx/downhill)

fitness – low/middle of the group (i don’t like going up hills)

Now i only ride XC, so i usually finish in the middle. Had a drunk conversation with my mate the other day, both came to the conclusion that we should winter train and see if we can put our money where our mouth is next year in some races. At least then we’ll be able to properly put an end to any false hope.

_tom_
    Free Member

Here’s a video to back up my claims/allow you to rate my riding 😆 If you know the trails, you’ll notice that I missed out the middle jump of Transfer Line as I always come up short on that one and almost go over the bars every time 😐 I can do proper whips now though I think.

ojom
    Free Member

Summed in 4 words.

“slower than i’d like”
    or
    “embarrassingly mincy but enjoyed”

Junkyard
    Free Member

I was comparing him to the average STW rider who goes out not seriously quick riders/racer types
    we are all shit in comparison to them [ or in my case old and shit]

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

thebikechain – Member

Summed in 4 words.

“slower than i’d like”
    or
    “embarrassingly mincy but enjoyed”

You gonna come with us next year? Please?! We found an alp that needs closing.

*mange tout*

GW
    Free Member

V. possibly the best bald tyre 100mm hardtail vets DH rider in the country.
    Confident and know my shit when it comes to riding.
    If something’s giving me trouble I will work out why and work on it until I’m happy I’ve sorted out the issue.
    Unphased by steepness, technical descents, cambers, jumps, wet roots etc.
    Am not afraid to push it too far and crash my brains out.
    I can confidently ride switch.
    Am fairly smooth and stylish for my age.

Am currently the most unfit I have ever been in my life.
    Fairly shit at slow speed shore and know it.(there’s not really any round here) .
    I don’t trust wet woodwork.
    Won’t drop to flat if it’s avoidable and I’ll often ride round puddles on dry days.

VanHalen

a solid B grade.

looking at the big dog lap times im a 43 min lapper in the dry on a freeride bike so i guess im just above middle. not really done much xc so my general fitness and sustained power output is low.

looking at the strava DH setions im faster the steeper an techier it gets. probably as i run unsuitable tyres! top 10% on most stuff when ive had a good run and it doesnt involve too much lung busting pedalling.

ojom
    Free Member

*mange tout*

Think i will make it next year, the house should in theory stop absorbing money by then unless we start breeding of course.

Also… i was thinking about saving up and getting awesome for a trip to Downieville in a few years. Up for it? Perfect HD hunting ground.

stcolin
    Free Member

Well, GW has posted, thread closed?

njee20
    Free Member

Am not afraid to push it too far and crash my brains out.

That’s where I fail, it makes progression rather slow!

I’ll often ride round puddles on dry days.

Nothing wrong with that! Puddles in winter are expected, and par for the course, in summer they’re a bloody pain!

Well, GW has posted, thread closed?

Well in his defence he is meant to be a very good rider, and nothing he’s said is particularly out of line!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    Njee -50% (esp. the race bit, but got gold standard in last one!). We should look out for each other mincing at the top of a big local drop off!!

Ok time for an edit. Njee -90%!! Obviously you are one of the guys I watch flying past me!!

@tom – v nice video.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

“Old skoooooool”

Defined as – I ride a full susser with discs like a fully rigid with plastic cantis, and I like to stop and look at the views, interesting flora and fauna.

Euro
    Free Member

I’ve 20+ years bmx riding as a base so i’m happy with my bike handling skills but I really could do with being fitter.

When out with mates, I generally hang at the back – partly to make sure everyone makes it down in one piece and partly to see where the **** the trail goes (terrible sense of direction see 😳 ). Also means I get to see them ride which is really cool for me.

No idea if i’m fast as i’ve never raced. I have ridden with racers/ex-racers and kept up with most of the dh lads without too much drama on the right kind of trail. I don’t enjoy feeling like a passenger on a bike though, so I lose out on really rough stuff. The xc racer boys simply leave me for dust.

I love grabbing a little air time but i made a conscious decision when starting mtb to lay off the mid air stunts. No problems styling it up though.

will
    Free Member

I don’t really like drops or wet roots, so tend to be not very good at them. There is for example this 1 log, maybe 9 inches high and it requires you to hop over it. I can never get this right, always end up slowing and pootling over it. 😆

Where fitness is needed i’d say i’m better than average, long climbs are good.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

thebikechain – Member

*mange tout*

Think i will make it next year, the house should in theory stop absorbing money by then unless we start breeding of course.

Also… i was thinking about saving up and getting awesome for a trip to Downieville in a few years. Up for it? Perfect HD hunting ground.

Count me in 8)

I’m now your HD buddy 8)

ahhhjrene
    Free Member

Confident and brainless. Ive learnt to disconnect the fear muscle but this leads to silly mistakes and regular, if minor, injury.

Choosing to ride tiny hardtails singlespeed mean a lot of steep climbs now get walked and my endurance has deteriorated massively since kids came on the scene.

I could also do with riding in groups more often as I tend to get spooked when riders are behind me.

I’m frightened of fast corners on wet roads and Edinburgh taxis.

ChrisL

Approaching adequate skills, hampered by laziness and a chronic lack of confidence. Steep/rocky/steppy a particular hang-up, some evidence would suggest that my abilities on tight switchbacks are somewhat better than my skills elsewhere.

ojom
    Free Member

I’m now your HD buddy

It didn’t go unnoticed.

*drops in*

saxabar
    Free Member

Another champion of the [very] small pond here. Put me in the Alps and I sink towards the middle of the pack. Steep slippy off-camber turns not a favourite of mine (finger and front brake far too pally!).

portlyone

Pretty poor all round.

soundninjauk

Not the fastest but not the slowest out of my riding buddies (all 3 of them are FS, I’m HT). So long as I don’t have to sprint or anything I can generally keep going for a while. Helped by my 12 mile round trip commute, otherwise I would definitely not be as fit as I am now (not that I’m uber fit for that matter). Dieseling was the word used before I think?

As for technical stuff, I can *nearly* trackstand/ride extremely slowly to check out obstacles/lines, and I can handle rocky/rooty stuff ok, although probably not as fast as most people. I tend to take it at what I see as a decent pace and let the bike do all the work soaking it up. I don’t race downhill, I let gravity do it for me. If I can roll a drop then all good. I’ll generally try and ride anything so long as it doesn’t involve the wheels leaving the ground at the same time. Which leads me onto…

Fairly terrified of getting airborn and can’t jump for toffee. I went off a jump on the black run at the top of Cwmcarn too fast by accident and caught some air for what I think was the first time ever (meant to roll over it).

Overall I like to think that I’m a reasonably competent rider, although certainly not racing material. I’m sure I have plenty of bad habits that I’ve taught myself though.

TiRed

I’ve been riding off road for two years, and now place mid-field in the open XC races I’ve entered on a rigid SS. Nothing really to compare with. I prefer my wheels on the ground, am wary of drop-offs and am generally out-ridden downhill by my 15yo son on a FS.

I am however very fast uphill and love climbing, so then it’s payback time!

chiefgrooveguru

I’m much better than those who are worse than me and much worse than those who are better than me! I’ve come a long way but have a long way to go and progress is slowed by my ever present fear of breaking myself… In certain situations I’m pretty damned quick and capable, in others I feel rather slow and incompetent.

yossarian
    Free Member

Low confidence on drop offs and rocks and roots. Usually leads me to scrub speed and get into trouble. Actually that’s when my abilities properly kick in; I’m extremely good at rescuing myself from imminent crashes and bails. Why can’t I transfer that skill into riding drops, rocks and roots?

seven
    Free Member

That’s me also that is 🙂

singletrackmind

Rubbish really .
    Maybe a 3/10 overall .
    Cant / Wont Jump . Drops of more than 12″ fill me with fear and dread . Gap Jumps? Not going to happen .
    XC racing , Usually end up in the bottom 1/3 . Unless its wet and dark , when my recklessness makes up for my lack of skill and fitness.
    Climbs. Get off and push if its a Granny and top.
    Cant wheelie or manual and trackstand attempts lead to blood loss normally.
    Still , I enjoy what I do and believe I am better at it than reality would imply.

The-Beard

I’ve never been particularly good (more of a confused roadie than anything else!) Lately it all seems to have got worse too. Been properly mincing through technical stuff… And I can’t jump for toffee, despite trying!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘Your riding’ is closed to new replies.