Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Your Favourite Gravel Bike Tyres
  • witterings
    Free Member

Interested to hear what people’s favourite gravel bike tyres are and what sort of terrain you’re riding on.

Most of my riding’s a split with 70% road the rest fairly compact gravel with the very occasional short bit of mud in the winter that can’t be avoided but we do suffer thorn punctures around here a lot so generally go for a reasonable level of protection.

I was looking at the Schwalbe G-One Raceguards and the Panracer Gravel King SK’s both probably 38mm … if anyone has any comments on either of those or any others that are your preferred would be interest to hear them.

joemmo
    Free Member

Very happy with the gravelking sk in 35 (though it comes out more like 37). Similar mix of surfaces as you describe with cinder track and a bit of hardpack dirt thrown in and they’re decent on tarmac too.

I’m using them tubeless and have had a couple of punctures that both self sealed well. Can’t comment on thorn resistance but they seem to do ok on crappy, glassy urban bike paths.

spacemonkey

Maxxis Rambler.

Bloody brilliant in all weathers and on all terrain on my Friston.  They don’t seem to receive the hype that the likes of the Nano does, but IMO they’re quick, grippy and complement the already exceptional handling of the dayglo orange beast.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    epicyclo

2.35″ Schwalbe Big Apples.

ultracrepidarian
    Free Member

Rambler is effing awful, couldn’t wait to get it off my bike.

– very round profile

– very low height, despite being close to 40mm wide

– very puncture prone

– loosest bead I’ve ever had on a tyre. Could thrown it on the rim from across the garage.

– wears quickly and not particularly grippy.

Rambler is light though. But the GK is better in every other regard.

Riddler is a great front tyre with its shoulder knobs, miles better than the Nano.

hardtailonly

I’ve been getting on pretty well with the Continental AT Ride (42c). Knobblier than some. But roll well, good in a range of conditions. Reasonably puncture proof. Light ish. And cheap at £17ish from the Germans. Not tried them tubeless yet, but am told they’ll go.

rOcKeTdOg

WTB resolute 42mm

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Spesh Sawtooth I’m liking. Bit of grip, tons of volume and they roll well.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Gravelking is perfect for the conditions you describe

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Gravel kings on my gravelgnar

peteimpreza

Challeng Gravel Grinder

jonnyboi

Schwalbe g ones.  Light, quiet, very fast rolling and work well tubeless. Surprising good grip despite the looks. Only downside is a high wear rate on the road

gravel king sk. As above but a bit more grip, slightly noisier though. Has the obvious advantage of coming with tan sidewalls. Less prone to wear

wtb resolute.  Significantly chunkier tread than both tyres above. A lot more noisy on the road and quite draggy as a result. But the best option if you route regularly takes in muddier conditions. Again, tan sidewalls FTW

I have all three tyres, I’ve done the reiver on both the  g one and the resolute, next year will be on the gravel kings

senorj

Landcruiser – bombproof and really cheap option ,they seem to sell out every year pre 3 peaks….. Deadly in sluthery mud though. 🙂

manmurray

+1 for Resolutes. Faultless on the DR and pretty much everything else thrown at them since. Bit draggy on the road.

Ran some Compass Barlow Pass for more road-centric/dry bridleway over the summer. They’re very nice.

mr34
    Free Member

Another one for WTB resolute 42mm, I put them on my bike a few weeks ago set up tubeless and I’m impressed, running them down at 35 psi, little bit of drag at that pressure on the road but off road suberb . Will have to see how they cope with winter mud but everything else  great The extra volume of the 42 over the  schwalbe 35mm that I was running is also helping with a bit of comfort

I love the skin walls add a bit of retro to a modern-day bike . The fitting was nice and straight forward  inflated straight way , with a track pump ,and gorilla tape on a bontrager tlr rim.

Only downside they took a few weeks to arrive as there was no stock at the time I ordered them .

mancalledaaron1
    Free Member

Terrene Elwood x40. Fit brilliantly as tubeless and the tough version seems really ‘tough’. Best tyre I’ve had for years.

hatter

+ 1 for Maxxis rambler, looks like its a bit of a marmite tyre but I’ve gotten on really well with mine.

kiwijohn

+1 for Sawtooth. Also Surly Knards.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I went for the speed side of gnarmac. Had Challenge Strada Bianca which were excellent, but defeated by flints. Now in Ritchey Alpine JB WCS which have been excellent so far. Will see how they fare over the winter.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Was on gravel kings but now running Soma Cazadero tan wall in 650b x42, as fast as gravel kings on road but much grippier on gravel. An awesome tyre.

Reviewed: Soma Cazadero 42c Gravel Tire by Panaracer

dovebiker

40mm tubeless Schwalbe G-Ones for fast rides / mixed road/offroad – they are only 1-2kph slower than road tyres.

45mm WTB Riddlers on my SSCX – big volume and extra grip really helps when over-geared and riding on loose stuff, rocks and roots – I’ve run them safely at less than 25psi which really helps in deep sand.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve WTB Riddler 37c on my single speed. They handle mildly rocky bridleways but struggle in mud.

scud
    Free Member

I can only really second WTB tyres. I have the 45c Riddlers.

After riding the Torino-Nice rally coming back last weeks, the G-One seemed to be the one that peope got punctures with (and i have 30c on road bike and they wear quickly), of the four lads i rode a lot with, all had WTB Tyres (Riddler, Byways etc) and no-one got a puncture despite the bad beating they took.

welshfarmer

Schwalbe G-ones cost me all my tyre levers and rim tape as they are just so ****ing tight on my rims. Every other tyre I use just slip on and off without a lever so it’s not the rims. I have ditched them as a puncture out and about would have meant a long walk home! Currently running V-tires Rail offering in 40c flavour and am very happy with them so far. I have a feeling they are no longer imported as I got both mine at 80% off sale and they were the very last ones the shop had. Worth a punt if you ever see them though.

https://www.veetireco.com/cyclocross-gravel-category/

MarcSussex
    Free Member

40c Nano’s for me, I’m yet to try anything else.   60/40 off/on road mix.

corroded
    Free Member

I’ve had Gravel Kings and G-Ones. Both were fast rolling and comfortable. The G-Ones felt slightly grippier but the biggest difference was the they didn’t cut nearly as readily as the Gravel Kings. I think the G-Ones are great tyres. I ride rough lanes, gravel and flinty bridleways on them.

daern
    Free Member

For everything but the mud, Schwalbe G-Ones Allround – Evo compound ones from Rose Bikes are a good price. Be aware that the ones sold as 40-622 measured up a bit smaller on my bike – more like 38c.  Superb tyres on the hardpack and I would echo what others have said about tarmac – they are nearly as fast as my road tyres. I’ve taken them out on 18mph+ group road rides and not felt like I was holding anyone up!

As for mud – well, you can’t have everything.

stevious

I like the handling/grip etc of my G-Ones but they have been a bit fragile for me. Have had a few cuts that wouldn’t seal – lots of mates riding the same terrain are having no such problems. I’ll probably give GravelKings a go next.

benp1

Currently using my marathon plus tyres on a 1.6 mile off road section (gravel track that turns muddy ish in the rain). Not brilliant but not terrible, and fine on the road apart from being heavy. Keep thinking of going for a gravel type tyre but they’re so reliable on the road…

mildbore

I’m due to pick up my new Whyte Gisburn today to help me recover from a knee op. It comes with Maxxis Rambler which will be fine for the mostly road/light off road riding I’ll be doing until I recover a bit more, and I’ve ordered some Victoria mud tyres (can’t remember the name ) in 35 mm for when it gets sloppy at about the time I’ll be doing more off road stuff. Being new to gravel bikes, what pressures are people running? I’ll be setting it up tubeless.  Assume around 40 psi? Bit more for road – heavy rides, bit less for off road?

orena45

Loved the Ramblers on my Friston – found them nice and fast on road and grippy enough on anything mud sticky mud. Just replaced them after over a 1000 miles as the rear was no longer holding air – tiny leaks all over the place.

Replaced with WTB Resolute 42c – all 6 of our Whatsapp gravel group are now using them.  Doesn’t roll quite as well as the Rambler on road but not found it to be too draggy considering the knobs.  We do tend to ride them like MTBs so stay off-road as much as possible – fine gravel Sustrans trails, hard pack coastal paths and stoney bridleways.  The Resolutes are a bit better suited as a result, plus with a bit more volume.

jonnyboi

OP, to maybe help your decision a little here’s a PSA

https://www.evanscycles.com/panaracer-gravelking-sk-folding-700c-tyre-EV309817

Gravelking SK tubeless with tan walls for £29.99 each, and I 100% know they are tubeless despite Evans getting it wrong and saying they aren’t

DiscJockey
    Free Member

A few people have mentioned tan-walled tyres here, so thought I’d post to say my new bike came with tan-walled G-Ones, which I’m very pleased with. I reaslise this says nothing about their performance 😉

ultracrepidarian
    Free Member

Loved the Ramblers on my Friston – found them nice and fast on road and grippy enough on anything mud sticky mud. Just replaced them after over a 1000 miles as the rear was no longer holding air – tiny leaks all over the place.

1000 miles is pretty shit given the cost. The GK on the back of my bike has done just over 4000km (mixed road/offroad), and I expect to get another 1000 from it. The Riddler on the front has 5000km and is about half worn.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

45mm g one bites that came on my canyon grail, beating road times,hitting best times and lasting off-road really well. Can’t fault them

robgclarkson
    Free Member

G ones 700×38 on my cross bike.. done over 4000 miles with a set and they’re brilliant tyres…. setup tubeless with a track pump, never punctured (to my knowledge) done hope pre peaks on them twice, lakeland monster miles, trans penine trail coast to coast, the coastline of ibiza and all on the same pair, plus countless gravel type rides… i run them at 40psi. showing signs of wear now and winter is coming so they’re about to be retired, but i’ll definitely be getting another set next spring… if they only made them like this in tan wall i would die a happy man.

oh, they’re awful in mud

orena45

1000 miles is pretty shit given the cost.

I should clarify that the front one was still holding air fine…it was the rear that wasn’t. Changed both as I can’t stand having mismatched branded tyres on a bike and everyone I know was raving about the Resolute 😀

As the Rambler came stock on the bike, the cost is irrelevant to me but if the Resolutes only last that long, then I’ll be miffed. May go back to Ramblers into the summer though, overall, I got on well with them.

nuke

Vee Rubber Rail 1.75 setup tubeless…shame can’t get them anymore ☹️

kelron
    Free Member

Seems like a few other people in this thread have Fristons – were you able to set the Ramblers up tubeless on the stock wheels? I gave up when I couldn’t get them to seat at all, so loose the air just went straight out.

orena45

Yep, I did @kelron.  The tyres aren’t the tightest but the main issue is the offset spoke holes on the stock rim – even using an Airshot, loads of air just escapes as there’s not a full seal between the bead and the rim.  If you whack in and inflate an inner tube first to seat the offset holed side, remove it and then set up tubeless as usual, it should go up.  I did wrap a couple of extra layers of rim tape in initially as well to help.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Your Favourite Gravel Bike Tyres’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts