• This topic has 153 replies, 101 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Digby.
Viewing 34 posts - 121 through 154 (of 154 total)
  • Your favorite drummer/s…
  • souldrummer
    Free Member

Of my many ‘favourites’ I’d suggest, Bill Bruford, Phil Collins, Andy Ward, Steve Peregrine Took, John Bonham and Dave Mattacks.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

How have we got this far without mentioning Harry!

Tubthumping excellence, driving some dirty riffing grooves!

neilthewheel

Ooh yes, Dave Mattacks, how could we forget him?

Denzildoorknob
    Free Member

Simon Phillips

Northwind

Ben Johnston from Biffy Clyro’s a lovely drummer, for modern rock stuff… Was driving around basically listening to the beat under the songs and it’s just always right, he knows when to do simple when the song requires it, he leads and follows, hammers it or goes soft and lazy… Got to love a player that can smash it like Animal, hold it together like a click track or roll it around, basically knows when less is more or when more is more. But mostly the whole band just work ridiculously well together, each instrument floats to the top and carries exactly its piece and no more or less, lovely. AND he sings.

Leroy

I always really loved the rhythm section in Yargo – Phil Kirby on drums: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGb3v214530

senorj

Also Keith York of Dr Phibes

crikey! thought I was one of the few who had heard (& seen)Of Dr Phibes & the House of wax equations!! They were awesome.

Another drummer i like is Mark Brzezicki ,especially on She Sells Sanctuary… 😀

mt
    Free Member

Though in agreement with many above I always thought Andy McCullough of Greenslade (1970’s prog rock) was pretty good without being to flashy, to me he seemed so tuned to the rest of the band. Now he’s largely forgotten as are Greenslade.

Digby

After having seen Killing Joke in Leeds last night I’d also like to nominate

‘Big’ Paul Ferguson – for those pounding rhythms (I’d forgotten how good he is!)

Which also made me think of another ‘post punk’ drummer of note – Martin Atkins – whose body of work includes P.I.L. and Murder Inc

john_drummer
    Free Member

I was at Killing Joke last night too! I’d forgotten about Paul Ferguson too, surprising myself as he was a big influence on my own playing early on

Digby

I was at Killing Joke last night too!

What did you think?

I enjoyed it. Was surprised at how busy it was. They seem to be a having a bit of a resurgence.

Digby

Another drummer i like is Mark Brzezicki ,especially on She Sells Sanctuary..

Now I always thought that Nigel Preston (R.I.P.) played on She Sells Sanctuary – but Mark played on the rest of the Love Album due to Nigel’s poor health.

Nigel Preston was another of those great post-punk drummers. He also played on Sex Gang Children’s Maurita Mayer

john_drummer
    Free Member

I thought they were excellent. Saw Sisters there a couple of weeks ago, that was even more rammed. They were better than (a) last couple of times I’d seen them and (b) I expected

Iirc Nigel Preston was in Theatre Of Hate with Billy Duffy before The Cult but I could be wrong. I think he was “inside” when Mark Brzezicki stepped in for the Love album but again I could be wrong. Didn’t know he’d died 🙁 loved his drum patterns on Resurrection Joe and the Brothers Grimm EP
    Not just Mauritia Mayer, he was also on drums for the Song & Legend album

<edit> my memory is hazier than I remember… Yes he did time but not until long after he’d been fired from The Cult

Digby

Haha – I was at the Sisters gig a couple of weeks ago as well! 8)

Yep – from memory Nigel Preston was in Theatre of Hate as well.
    (Didn’t know he played on SGC’s ‘Song & Legend Album’ though – I thought that predated him, but he may well have played on Sebastiene. I’ll have to pop in the loft this weekend and see if there are any sleeve notes. In my mind though the drumming style is different from Maurita Mayer)

I remember reading an interview with Kirk Brandon some years ago where he describes how quickly the post punk scene went from being vibrant & energetic to being dominated by heroin really quickly – with Nigel Preston being sadly one of the casualties.

Reading Viv Albertine’s autobiography recently she talk about the same thing happening with the original punk scene!

Do you still play live john_drummer?

Pigface
    Free Member

Jet Black of the Stranglers is very good nothing flashy just on tempo all the time.

Rat Scabies was brilliant, a friend who worked with him as a sound engineer reckoned he couldnt keep time. Maybe he lost it.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I do. Last gig was in August

http://Www.reverbnation.com/chasingglass4 – on an extended break at the moment. I have another band that’s in need of a singer and a guitarist

Digby

I shall look out for you John_Drummer – we appear to have similar taste in music.

I see you hail from the same town as some Skeletal Family members! 😉

john_drummer
    Free Member

Well we practice in Keighley – none of us actually live there. I’m in Baildon but from Leeds via Wakefield

2tyred

Bobby Gillespie in the Mary Chain. Didn’t even need to sit down.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Topper Headon from The Clash.

slowjo
    Free Member

Mentioned early on but Billy Cobham +1

joolsburger
    Free Member

Jabo Starks
    Clyde Stubblefield
    Jimmy Cobb
    Idras Muhammad

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMj9wwO1yT4[/video]

MrWoppit
    Free Member

… and I was just listening to him playing with his hobby band “Brand X” from back in the day. Before he decided to earn shedloads of moolah by droning on and on about his divorces and whatnot… Honourable mention for doing what he was talented at: Phil Collins.

slowjo
    Free Member

Brand X…..now there’s a band I aven’t listened to for a while. A bit of rummaging in the vinyl pile needed for that methinks.

CountZero

Though in agreement with many above I always thought Andy McCullough of Greenslade (1970’s prog rock) was pretty good without being to flashy, to me he seemed so tuned to the rest of the band. Now he’s largely forgotten as are Greenslade

I remember Greenslade, got a couple of their albums on vinyl, saw them play once, in Frome, IIRC. There used to be a folk club in Chippenham, just along the road from me, and there was a Bristol singer/songwriter called Aj Webber who used to play fairly regularly. One evening she turned up with a friend who had flown over from Germany for the evening to play bass, he had a Telecaster bass, and looked familiar, then she introduced him as Tony Greenslade…
    Anyway, back on topic, and this popped up on the Pod a couple of days ago, and reminded me of how great a drummer Ian Paice is; apparently, when they recorded this, he only had the one kick drum, however The Who were also recording at the same studio, and Moon’s kit was sitting there, doing nothing much…
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVAfLq6T8H0&sns=em[/video]

CountZero

Can’t talk about Greenslade without mentioning one of my favourite bands, Gentle Giant. Always loved their stuff, very complicated vocal arrangements, lots of jazz and mediaeval choral influences, and a very good drummer in John ‘Pugwash’ Weathers, who also played percussion, vibraphone, xylophone, and guitar.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK4cuXJa7QE&sns=em[/video]

niksnr
    Free Member

Just got back from a Jools Holland gig and saw a 3 min drum solo from Gilson Lavis. I have to say it’s the best solo performance I’ve seen live of any drummer, or musician in general, that I care to remember. Superb – and that’s saying a lot considering the other musicians on stage tonight!!!

slowoldman

Just got back from a Jools Holland gig and saw a 3 min drum solo from Gilson Lavis

Blimey I thought those days were long gone.

Digby

Blimey I thought hoped those days were long gone

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

You need a nice lengthy drum solo in a gig, makes a nice toilet break.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I was going to mention Phil’filthy animal’Taylor when this thread came up the other day. But now it’s a case of saying RIP 🙁

mudmonster
    Free Member

Yes RIP Philthy 🙁

LS
    Free Member

🙁
    Lemmy’s book is a must read for fans of Philthy and some of the japes they got up to!

Digby

Indeed … RIP Philthy Phil ‘Animal’ Taylor! 🙁

Viewing 34 posts - 121 through 154 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘Your favorite drummer/s…’ is closed to new replies.