Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 227 total)
  • Yesterdays shooting & todays protest.
  • Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Coppers do a crap, hard job – yes on balance I’d rather a young policeman wasn’t dead. It would be nice if the social divisions and drug problems that lead to these things happening were tackled though.

chewkw
    Free Member

somouk – Member
    They have to take a lot in to account, especially now they are using 5.56mm ammunition …

Ohhh … 5.56 from Sig Sauer MCX?

somouk
    Free Member

Not sure, a lot of forces seem to choose different rifles depending on their own testing.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The “facts” as I know them

Been in court for attempted murder with a firearm
    Has been shot before
    His house is covered in cctv cameras
    He has had a series of expensive cars inc a yellow Lambourghini (see press photo)
    Dating profile of “stud badboy”

Seems highly likley to me he was, as the press have said a drug dealer and was armed.

Drac

Still, ten pages at least. Maybe more if the Argualympians are still awake.

graemethejock

Drug dealer who had firearm in his vehicle was shot during a planned operation.Big boys games have big boys rules springs to mind.
    If criminals are prepared to go onto the streets of this country in possession of a firearm then there are consequences.
    And then a bunch of morons use it as an excuse to kick up a stink and play the race card. Nothing to do with race. If he didn’t have a gun in his vehicle he wouldn’t have been shot.Period.

chewkw
    Free Member

somouk – Member

Not sure, a lot of forces seem to choose different rifles depending on their own testing. [/quote] I just noticed one of the London force was using Ruger Mini-14 (5.56) in the past … niccee 🙂 … one of my favourite if I were to own one.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nothing to do with race. If he didn’t have a gun in his vehicle he wouldn’t have been shot.Period Full Stop.

You need to do a lot more than just have the gun in the car to get shot, I’m sure this will come out more later but the police will have known he was likely to be armed but wanted to arrest him.
    For example in 2014 there were nearly 15,000 deplyments of firearms units and 2 weapons discharges
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/police-use-of-firearms-statistics-england-and-wales-financial-year-ending-31-march-2014/police-use-of-firearms-statistics-england-and-wales-financial-year-ending-31-march-2014

stewartc
    Free Member

The phrase “live by the sword, die by the sword” (or gun in this case) holds true for such people.

I prefer, “if you walk around carrying a feather, expect to get tickled.”

Expect this will go through the usual charade, be turned into race politics, have huge accusations thrown around by both sides and then in 16 months time the evidence in court will clearly point to the guys guilt and it will all be forgotten since something else will be stirred up.

BigDummy
    Free Member

You need to do a lot more than just have the gun in the car to get shot

I’m having some difficulty finding figures I can digest, but it does look as though black people are shot by police officers at about double the rate they occur in the UK’s population.

https://fullfact.org/law/bame-deaths-police-uk/
    IPCC breakdown tables

They’re arrested at a rate something like 3x higher than white people are, and stop and search statistics are sometimes even more skewed.

That said, about 75% of black people who are convicted of a crime seem to be convicted of a drug offence, and they are appreciably more likely to be convicted of offences relating to Class A drugs.

Big Government Report

Handy Government infographic

So there may well be nothing more to the higher-than-representative shooting rate than a higher-than-representative involvement in heavy-duty armed drug crime. But it’d be as well to be wary of racial bias. That would seem to mean asking; does intelligence that a suspect may be armed get treated more seriously if the suspect is black, leading to an armed operation and more wary officers? Do armed officers tend to perceive behaviour by black people as more threatening than the same behaviour by white people? Where officers do fire on a suspect, is it more likely that no weapon is found on the suspect if he was black? If the answer to those sorts of questions is a “yes” on average, then that’s going to raise the shooting rate for reasons that are basically race-driven, and it would be as well to counter that in training so far as reasonably possible (and I’m imagining this is done already really…).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m having some difficulty finding figures I can digest, but it does look as though black people are shot by police officers at about double the rate they occur in the UK’s population.

You are pulling stats from a total of 27 over 12 years. That’s is not really a valid base for anything more than telling you the total.

philxx1975
    Free Member

It’s a good job they found a gun ,if they had found he was merely reaching in the glove box for a werthers original the baying traffic stopping protest would have gathered some proper momentum.

BigDummy
    Free Member

You are pulling stats from a total of 27 over 12 years. That’s is not really a valid base for anything more than telling you the total.

That’s true, agreed. And having so few to think about is quite a happy situation – I’m certainly not advocating for bumping up the numbers until we achieve statistically significant results.

If it was an entirely isolated figure then I completely agree that it wouldn’t be of any interest. As almost every other statistic on interactions with the criminal justic system shows a racial dimension though, I guess it’s probably worth keeping an eye on.

mattsccm
    Free Member

As we know nothing this thread is pointless. What wevdo know is that the incident will be used for shit stirring and attention seeking by the press. A good thread to close Mods?j

Sandwich

merely reaching in the glove box for a werthers original

He didn’t look old enough to be an habitual user of Werthers.

RustySpanner

There hasn’t been a riot.

Someone’s dead, discussing grouping is a bit shallow.

True.
    That was an appalling comment and unworthy of you Flashy.

But he was Asian.
    And northern.
    Barely human really.

Pigface
    Free Member

The “facts” as I know them

Jambafacts 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Appalling? Hardly. More noting that someone doing an incredibly hard, and at times awful, job did so very effectively. Bullets weren’t sprayed around à la US police. No one else was put in any danger. A threat was seen (or perceived, obviously, as we’re still light on facts).

jimbobo
    Free Member

Since I’ve been living in Yorkshire I can think of 6 un armed officers being shot by criminals (2 fatally) and 2 armed criminals being shot by armed officers (1fatally). Any comparison to America is ridiculous. There will rightly be an investigation and the officer involved will come under a lot of scrutiny. But these officers are trained to make a decision and the officer made the decision that the police were at risk and took the shot.

Having been supported by armed police numerous times when I was at risk from armed assailants, one thing that amazed me was their reserve. I’ve only ever seen them draw weapons once, and that involved a samurai sword…

Andy-R

chewkw – Member

I just noticed one of the London force was using Ruger Mini-14 (5.56) in the past … niccee … one of my favourite if I were to own one.

“One of my favourites”?? Why would you ever want to own one ?

RustySpanner

Well, it doesn’t come across like that Flashy.

Your first post was flippant, and the second comes across as crass and in appalling taste.

Pieface

Not only have his family got to deal with the loss of a son, they are having to deal with the shocking news that he was also a drug / gun / stolen car dealer.

slowoldman

Im not angry, its just odd.

Its like people were discussing darts…

There are those who enjoy discussing firearms and their use, finding it cool, especially the likes of “you know who” back up there.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

There are those who enjoy discussing firearms and their use, finding it cool, especially the likes of “you know who” back up there.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Having been supported by armed police numerous times when I was at risk from armed assailants, one thing that amazed me was their reserve. I’ve only ever seen them draw weapons once, and that involved a samurai sword.

Probably due the paperwork that starts as soon as they draw weapons 😉

Northwind

Thing is, int he circumstances of this stop it might well have been the right move. But that’s not the only question- the police chose where and when to make the stop. So it’s not so much “was it OK to shoot him in these circumstances” which is seems pretty likely it was- more “could they have arrested him under different circumstances and avoided it” which obviously could also be safer for officers and the public.

gobuchul
    Free Member

It’s elf and safety innit.

The Police Force have a duty of care towards their employees.

They would be required by law to perform a risk assessment.

The risk assessment would show that the consequences of the suspect firing his gun at the police officers would be serious injury/death.

So measures must be in place to mitigate this and reduce the possibility.

Shoot him if he looks like he could be reaching for a gun.

slowoldman

Presumably they were trying to catch him “in the act”. You know like The Sweeney used to do with bank robbers. “You’re Nicked”.

ads678

I’m of the opinion that if you wave a gun around in front of armed police you’re going to get shot.

Fair enough we don’t know what actually happened here, and until the inquiry has ended we can’t speculate. The media are telling us few things about his past that eludes to him not being the nicest person around, and possibly has previous with guns and/or drug dealing.

At the moment I’m on the side of the police, but we’ll see what the inquiry comes out with.

DrJ

merely reaching in the glove box for a werthers original

No evidence that he was a pedophile. Typical STW jumping to conclusions.

Pieface

How much of a threat would have have been shooting from inside the car?

Even if he had a gun, I imagine getting an accurate shot from the drivers seat would be very slim, and as the Police would most likely be wearing body armour, this could be seen as an over-reaction to an overall low-risk situation.

jamj1974

Regardless of whether in this specific case the police were right or wrong, surely it’s a good thing that: –
    1). We have independent investigation for all such incidents
    2). The incidence of weapons discharge by police is very low as a ratio of situations where weapons are available
    3). The incidence where people are actually killed by the police is extremely low
    4). People feel free to protest and should be allowed to do so

I must say though that the weapons ‘love in’ in a thread like this is in extremely bad taste. People loving guns that are designed only to kill other people also leads me to questioning how much I would trust their opinions on other matters.

nickc

I’m of the opinion that if you wave a gun around in front of armed police you’re going to get shot.

well, I sort of agree, in a very narrow sub section of “armed, with intent to hurt other people, no obvious history of mental illness, and with other members of the public who could be harmed nearby” which seems to match closely the events on the M62

Everything else really needs a very calculated approach doesn’t it? Unless every single time the cops draw weapons and it’s a life and death split second decision (which only should be really rarely), then I’d would suggest the default situation should be that the suspect is arrested without holes in him/her, and breathing.

mikey3
    Free Member

Cant we all just chill out ,talk about guns and rub some oil on each other? We’re all ex special forces It consultants here right.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Lol. You go and stand in front of the car then.

DrJ

how much I would trust their opinions on other matters.

How much were you trusting his^H^H^Htheir opinion anyway? 🙂

kimbers

mikey3 – Member
    Cant we all just chill out ,talk about guns and rub some oil on each other? We’re all ex special forces It consultants here right.

😆

somouk
    Free Member

If it was a pistol they found and judging by how close all the other cars were to them then he would have presented a pretty high threat. Maybe not directly to the front but certainly through side windows.

If it was a rifle then things become a lot harder to manage in the confined space of a car.

ehrob

You are all Ross Kemp and I claim my £5.

jamj1974

ehrob – Member
    You are all Ross Kemp and I claim my £5.

If you squint a lot and maybe have some chilli in your eye – I look like Ross Kemp…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 227 total)

The topic ‘Yesterdays shooting & todays protest.’ is closed to new replies.