Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Canyon Bikes After sales
  • kaj0103
    Free Member

Just wanted to share some experience of canyon.

2 years ago. Bought a road bike, ultimate with ultegra groupset. 36 / 52 on the front. The bike would not shift under any load, for example a slight undulation from 36 to 52. Told canyon, they said I can go to lbs and they will cover £30 labour. Lbs fixed, me happy.

2 days ago. Receive exceed mtb after very painful process of promises that bike is going to be shipped in a couple of days. Didn’t happen like that. Lots of misinformation from customer services. Finally get bike, scratches evident on underside of one crank. Will see what they do about this. However, the bigger problem is that the rear mech was set up badly and sounds uncomfortable in lower gears. The mech later shifted the chain off the 50 cog into the plastic cover on wheel, I put it back and t does the same thing again. Also will not shift into the 10 when going faster. I contacted their support and all they can say is that they have great mechanics and all bikes come out fully checked and in great order. I have 2 examples of this not being the case. I asked that they just do the same thing and let me take it to lbs but now they don’t trust any other mechanics, fair enough, but they want me to either drive an hour to chessington (taking time off work as closed Saturday) or disassemble the bike and send it back for a hearing problem. Get real canyon! That is very unreasonable. Took it to the lbs and they fixed it for a £10. They said I was lucky not to have written off the rear wheel. I don’t know exactly what they did but they wound a screw and the whole mech popped into place. They then readjusted said screw and tuned shifters. Now clean as a whistle. The bike is good but I have had 100% negative experience with the quality of their workmanship and now cust serv want to go to these measures of taking my time and effort, paying for ups to collect and return not to mention all the effort their end, just for a gear tube. Pick up your game canyon. You’re lucky I have returned this bike yet. I have one more conversation with their people tomorrow to have, might be that I will be returning it after that though. I advise against buying canyon as effort out weighs reward. Spend another couple hundred and buy local is my advice.

plus-one

Hobnobs anyone ?

survivor

This is my friends is an outrage.

I’d be in touch with my local MP if I were you.

And call……..Ohhhh i cant even be bothered anymore. 🙄

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kaj0103
    Free Member

I put my heart and soul into trying to help people make good decisions where I’ve made bad and all I get is this? Do you know how long it took me to type this on my bloody iPhone? Ffs……..

bigrich

who doesn’t check their mail order bike over before riding it?

woodster

I’ve had some frustrating experience from Canyon, but I just don’t think gear setup is something that you can expect to be spot on when you buy a partially disassembled bike which is shipped from Europe in a box.

If you want a fully checked and ready to ride bike , then there are plenty of physical shops which offer that.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Just bought road bike from them, couldn’t be more pleased. Perfect quick service. Bikes superb. No issues at all. It came a week before the delivery date. Which I understand is common practice. I know of at least three others in my bike club who have also bought from canyon in last 3 months. All very happy. Just for balance.

< they wound a screw and the whole mech popped into place> Limit screw. If you google youtube you’ll find plenty of very good videos on how to sort these things out. Quicker and less expensive than LBS.

mcnultycop

Don’t buy a mail order bike if you can’t put it together, or pay someone else to check it over.

Canyon aftersales were fine with me by the way. Scratch on frame, gave me £50. Frame cracked, sent frame to LBS, reimbursed cost if LBS doing swap of parts. Can’t complain.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I’m surprised about your delivery date issues? Heres what I got. And they delivered week before. Tracking link was great, followed it all the way from Germany.

Estimated dispatch date

17th – 21th Apr 2017

We’ll send you a link to track the delivery once dispatched.

Did they not deliver by the date in their email?

kaj0103
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure that people have good experiences too. I’ve had 2 bad experiences. They say their bikes are fully tested and ridden which they may be but not in these cases. Other people having good service doesn’t get rid of the bad on this end. . I can ride but I’m certainly no mechanic and by eye I did t know how bad the mech was until the guys at lbs fixed it and said it was close enough to the spokes to be a risk. £10 isn’t bad for a quick fix and a receipt. I do agree though, probably should have checked it over a bit more thoroughly.

RustyNissanPrairie

OP – please return to playing golf, these overly complex bicycles aren’t for you.

kaj0103
    Free Member

Tracking was great, dispatch was the problem. They told me they don’t give money to lbs anymore. My road bike was 2 years ago and they did but they say they don’t do it now. When was yours covered for that @mcnultycop?

Rorschach
    Free Member

but I just don’t think gear setup is something that you can expect to be spot on when you buy a partially disassembled bike which is shipped from Europe in a box.
    This.
    It’s still great value, when if you are incapable of doing it yourself, you have to spend £20 at the lbs to get it checked over (which you will have to do at some point anyhoo).
    1.3 out of 10 (distinct lack of capitals).Not even worth withholding pudding.

kaj0103
    Free Member

I gave up golf, couldn’t make the sticks work properly. I’ll try again when I can’t turn a pedal.

Goldigger
    Free Member

My Canyon dude couldn’t have been setup any better. No complaints here.
    Only thing I’ve done is adjust the headset as it developed a bit of play and twiddle the adjuster on the rear shifter to compensate for some cable stretch.

andy10011
    Free Member

My Canyon has been fine, just finished packing the bearings with grease

euans2
    Free Member

I’ve had 2 Canyons, both arrived well setup however one of them had a warped disk, contacted Canyon about it and had a new disk arrive the next again day.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Yes it’s annoying but I guess you are a newby and will gain experience and knowledge over time,
    The gearing issue sounds like a regular adjustment setup issue that can be easily corrected if you know what you are doing, two screws control highest and lowest alignment of your rear derailleur in relation to your cassette. Check YouTube or let the LBS have some trade

Buying mail order things may not always be right first time, people say buy from a LBS I’ve had good and bad experience from both, canyon got their sh1t in order , I got 2 bikes last year and I felt the experience was just as good if not far better than the lbs.on order you will receive an order confirmation/ invoice within 24 hours that will estimate deliver usually x days, on both occasions my bikes arrived early.
    Canyon supply all the extras in a bag and have booklets etc, and also give a shock pump and a basic torque wrench .
    I presumed any bike with rockshox fork comes with a free shock pump but I know many mates who have bought locally and been upsold these extras

Remember with canyon you can get a far higher spec bike for the money than buying in the UK and so a few extra spend is acceptable to me,

Finally enjoy your riding and assume running costs of a bike will likely set you back a minimum 10-15% per annum,
    Keeping a bike healthy can be expensive
    oil/cleaners/pads/drivetrain replacements/ bleeds/ realignment gearing etc.etc

bedmaker

Regardless of where I’ve bought a bike, I wouldn’t expect to jump on and ride happily away.

Gears always need tweaked within a few miles riding, headset may well need a tweak as it settles in. Hardly reason to stamp your feet on the internet.

orangespyderman

but I just don’t think gear setup is something that you can expect to be spot on when you buy a partially disassembled bike which is shipped from Europe in a box.

This and

Regardless of where I’ve bought a bike, I wouldn’t expect to jump on and ride happily away.

Gears always need tweaked within a few miles riding, headset may well need a tweak as it settles in. Hardly reason to stamp your feet on the internet.

that. They’ll need fettling. All bikes do to varying degrees. If you buy local, then you just take it back to the store, they’ll fettle for free and you walk away. Rince and repeat. If you buy mail order then you can either do it yourself or pay someone local to do it. It’s worth doing getting used to doing stuff like adjusting a derailleur anyway as it’s useful to be able to do it to “close enough” if you’re out somewhere on a long ride and it’s a bit out.

crazy-legs

I used to work in a bike shop, biuilding up boxed bikes for sale, demo & the shop floor.

Every bike had been built by the company (SPecialized, Trek, Cannondale etc), partially disassembled, boxed up, shipped to our warehouse and then shipped out to us.

All the bikes needed gears and brakes tweaking. Smetimes they’d been knocked a tiny bit, sometimes just sitting there for weeks would have caused the cables to go a fraction slack. It’s hardly Canyon’s problem that the bike needed a simple half turn on the limit screw. I’d consider that a perfectly normal part of building a boxed bike up.

You may even have knocked it or snagged it on something getting the bike out of the box!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

You do also realise that if you get a puncture Canyon DON’T offer roadside assistance? It’s a wonder they’re still in business.

taxi25
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure that people have good experiences too. I’ve had 2 bad experiences.

You must have had a sheltered life if a bit of gear adjustment is a “bad experience”.
    Don’t take the ribing to heart though Op.
    Learn to do these things and you’ll be laughing at yourself as well 😆

freeagent
    Free Member

Personally if I bought a Canyon I’d just factor in paying my LBS to do a PDI/Basic service after I’d assembled the bike.

I’m pretty sure it can only be about £40..

plus-one

Kaj0103

Please don’t take anything on here serious(from me) anyway it’s a good place to let off steam and have some banter 8)

kaj0103
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments… I don’t take it to heart. It’s a little more than a gear tweak for those trivialising it, the whole mech shifted with a jump into place when the guys in the lbs were moving one of the screws so something was quite badly positioned, however, I should get my fingers a little greasier I have to admit…. every time I try it ends up at the shop though, I’m just one of those people……. . Lbs also said that it could only have come out of the factory like that given the way it was. Crashtestmonkey…. why would they not offer roadside assistance for a flat? They sold me the tyres right? Maybe they should offer an enhanced after sales service?

Rorschach
    Free Member

, the whole mech shifted with a jump into place when the guys in the lbs were moving one of the screws so something was quite badly positioned,

Or what we who know what we’re doing refer to as-‘a gear tweak’ .I’m thinking from the lbs description (possible over shift on the largest sprocke/not shifting into the smallest) it’s a limit screw adjustment….which likely needed doing as maybe the hanger has been bent slightly in transit.
    Again…. histrionics often result in an inevitable response in these parts (ask Rents/Kryty etc).
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sfz3OmOY3A[/video]

imnotverygood

I should get my fingers a little greasier I have to admit…. every time I try it ends up at the shop though, I’m just one of those people

In that case, just buy the bike from a local bike shop. If minor mechanical adjustments are beyond you then buying a bike on the net is just stupid. But don’t blame the company selling you the bike for that.

orangespyderman

In that case, just buy the bike from a local bike shop. If minor mechanical adjustments are beyond you then buying a bike on the net is just stupid. But don’t blame the company selling you the bike for that.

Stupid may be a strong word, but broadly, I agree. There’s nothing wrong with not being particularly good at or interested in bike fettling. But if you’re not, then you really should buy local or accept (grudgingly if you want 🙂 ) that you’ll end up shelling out a lot of 10 quid notes to them for stuff they can sort out in 30 secs.

It’s a little more than a gear tweak for those trivialising it, the whole mech shifted with a jump into place when the guys in the lbs were moving one of the screws so something was quite badly positioned,

Adjusting a screw on a derailleur is never a massive issue. Ever. Heck even changing a derailleur like for like is pretty damn straightforward and probably a few minutes work for a competent mechanic once it’s actually out the box 😐

jamesg55
    Free Member

as already mentioned, if you can’t set up gears you shouldn’t be ordering / building a mail order bike.
    I have had a number of dealings with canyon on my spectral. and they have been spot on and I’d 100% buy another bike off them.

1. I lost some cable grips on the down tube. Posted me some out free
    2. I rounded off my rear maxle. post me another out free
    3. db inline shock was losing pressure. it was sent off fixed in 2 weeks and no charge
    4. ordered replacement frame bearings. all came in a week or two.

taxi25
    Free Member

@Op Do you have anything like this in your neck of the woods ?

Homepage

The essential bike maintenance course is £65 and covers all your issues. I’ve not done it being a spanner god, but I’ve heard it highly recommended.

taxi25
    Free Member

@Op Do you have anything like this in your neck of the woods ?

Homepage

The essential bike maintenance course is £65 and covers all your issues. I’ve not done it being a spanner god, but I’ve heard it highly recommended.

Edit. Double post but it’s worth it for that link.

Beagleboy

First ride on my bike after I’d picked it up from the bike shop and both tyres flatted because the rim tape hadn’t been fitted properly, the gear indexing went to pieces because the cable hadn’t been tightened properly and the chain snapped….because it was a Shimano chain.

These were all minor inconveniences that I was able to fix in a matter of minutes, and which I kind of expected on it’s first ‘shakedown’ ride.

It’s also stuff that everyone really ought to know how to deal with when out on their bike. What happens if you’re on the summit of a Munro in January, in failing light and you snap your chain? Canyon aren’t going to help you there, nor I doubt will your bike shop.

Learn some basic mechanics. Is Zinn and the art of Mountain bike maintenance still a relevant book? I remember that being a really good maintenance guide.

rOcKeTdOg

This is terrible, OP saves a few quid by buying direct & not buying from an LBS who would have set the bike up properly for him if he’d bought a bike they sold. He has to take it to his LBS to set it up for him and has to pay.

There’s a moral hidden in there somewhere.

We’ve had 3 canyons in the workshop this year with “out of the box” issues, one of which got replaced as the BB tolerance was so out the press fit BB fell out with finger pressure.

You pays your money etc

Budget for £30 safety & gear set up if you really have to bypass buying from the LBS & don’t have the skills to do it yourself

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Canyon Bikes After sales’ is closed to new replies.