Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • XTR Shifter stripdown guide anyone?
  • JohnnyPanic

So my LH (xtr 970) shifter wouldn’t drop the chain cleanly to the granny today. Seemed to be dropping the mech to the low stop though.

When I got back, after cleaning the bike popped it in the workstand & took a quarter turn off the Low stop & that seemed to do the trick.

Was testing changing up & down through the triple OK when it just stopped changing down. At all. Chain is on the big ring and the shifter lever seems to move freely but with no resistance and no effect.

So before I operate, will springs fly off in all directions? Has anyone seen a guide or is it relatively easy to dismantle & reassemble.

druidh
    Free Member

Are you sure it’s not just dirt in the cable?

mrmo
    Free Member

Not tried an XTR but the general rule with Shimano shifters is do not take them apart, it will end in tears.

JohnnyPanic

Not completely no, but if it were that I would expect to feel the lever engage and see no release. I can’t feel the lever engage.

I’ll check the cable is free tomorrow night, cheers.

JohnnyPanic

the general rule with Shimano shifters is do not take them apart, it will end in tears.

Oh dear. Started, then stopped… 😕

druidh
    Free Member

Johnny Panic – Member
    Not completely no, but if it were that I would expect to feel the lever engage and see no release. I can’t feel the lever engage.

If the spring on the mech isn’t strong enough to overcome friction in the cable – and hence put a load on the shifter mechanism – it can feel exactly as you’ve described.

JohnnyPanic

I think I can see what you mean.
    Fingers crossed you’re right.
    (And I that can get the bolt & screws back in)
    Thanks.

mrplow
    Free Member

Mine wore out just like this. Started missing down shifts and got worse and worse until no shifts. Bike shop pulled it apart for fun but it was worn out and they did not have donor parts.

jimc101
    Free Member

The Parts guide is here but how old are your shifters? if under 3 years, they are still under warranty, why not just send / take them back to where ever you got them from for service.

JohnnyPanic

if under 3 years, they are still under warranty

Unless second hand…

Thanks for the link – helps a bit.

coatesy
    Free Member

Chances are that it’s a small pawl that’s got gummed up, to rectify this you only need to remove the plastic cover(no need to dis-assemble the mechanicals), dribble some GT85 onto the pawl’s pivot, and work it back and forth until it’s spring will operate it by itself.

JohnnyPanic

Thanks to all.
    Working again now.
    Took the lid off, cable was free so not that.
    Couldn’t actually see any problem but after applying GT85 and working it a bit it’s now behaving properly again.

Cheers!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘XTR Shifter stripdown guide anyone?’ is closed to new replies.