• This topic has 56 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Vader.
Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • WWSTD – neighbour access issue
  • Cougar

Bear in mind, they’re probably totally unaware of the arrangement / deeds.

Why not invite them round for a barbecue, get a charcoalburger and a glass of wine inside them and then drop it into conversation?

“Meant to say, watch out for those steps, they’re lethal. We should probably put a fence panel in place of that gate in fact, it’s only there to provide us with right of access and we never use it. What do you think?” They’ll either agree or ask about their right of way, in which case you can explain.

Just, y’know, be subtle. If you think the entire reason for inviting them over is just an excuse to tell them to GTFO, it might backfire.

dashed
    Free Member

I’ll be honest, I wouldn’t fancy folk (neighbours or otherwise) wandering through my garden whenever they fancied. Hard to say without seeing the gardens / driveways, but it sounds like a right cheek to assume you can just wander through someone’s back garden without asking. Although they possibly misunderstood solicitors advice when buying house and think they have reciprocal access.

If you don’t use the gate then use some polite excuse as per above that you’re locking / removing it altogether. Do it in person with a smile and I’m sure all neighborliness can be retained.

perchypanther
    Free Member

It’s only a matter of time until the Hoff has a concert to try and bring down the Gate.

closetroadie
    Free Member

They are renting? Ask the landlord to explain the situation to them?

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I’ll be honest, I wouldn’t fancy folk (neighbours or otherwise) wandering through my garden whenever they fancied. Hard to say without seeing the gardens / driveways, but it sounds like a right cheek to assume you can just wander through someone’s back garden without asking

When we were looking at houses earlier this year one of them had the same sort of set up as this, it was a nice house but went off the shortlist purely for this reason.

I thought it’s got future arguments written all over it if the neighbours turn out to be dicks. Even if they weren’t people die or move house so didnt want to risk it as I knew it would annoy me.

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

Surely if you just leave the steps as they are, the problem will sort itself one way or another.

cb

I’m confused as to why they would ever think they had a right to enter your garden in the first place? Is it ‘obvioulsy’ your garden or some overgrown grassy path behind a fence?

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’m confused as to why they would ever think they had a right to enter your garden in the first place?

Because there is a gate.

If you put a gate in a fence it’s almost like saying “open me and come through”

cromolyolly
    Free Member

I’m confused as to why they would ever think they had a right to enter your garden in the first place?

I’m guessing because there is a gate there, and it allows access to the other road. Seems a reasonable assumption that it is to allow each house quicker access to the other road.

If you lock the gate there’s a good chance you’ll get a complaint from the neighbour that you are denying them access. At that point you could whip out your deed and explain

Or, leave the gate as is. Put up a hasty and home made gate with solintery wood, nails sticking out and no obvious handle at the bottom of the steps plastered with warnings about unsafe steps in danger of collapse, risk of death do not use, at own risk etc. Add caution tape for a finishing touch.

Jakester
    Free Member

I might just dig a pit and line it with pungee sticks. That’ll sort ’em (and probably my wife and I as we fall down the steps).

Jakester
    Free Member

At that point you could whip out your deed and explain

I would like it put on the record for posterity that at no point did I try to whip anything out, officer.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Pah, don’t people suggest “own them with your Bombers” anymore?

Standards people, standards.

martinhutch

I might just dig a pit and line it with pungee sticks.

Just don’t line it with pungee twigs, or you won’t be taken seriously.

nickjb
    Free Member

Do they definitely not have the access over you land? It may not be mentioned on your deeds but that doesn’t mean it isn’t on their deeds.

Jakester
    Free Member

Do they definitely not have the access over you land? It may not be mentioned on your deeds but that doesn’t mean it isn’t on their deeds.

Yep, I have checked their title as well just to make sure I didn’t come across as an even greater arse than I am already!

funkmasterp

Buy a goose, they’re right bastards and your neighbour will simply stop using the gate. The downside is that you’ll own a goose.

Vader
    Free Member

‘Why are we going this way Michael?’

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘WWSTD – neighbour access issue’ is closed to new replies.