Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • WTF is classed as smart casual?!
  • LMT
    Free Member

As it sayes, i have to go to work on monday for a Team Build been told to dress smart casual, as in the evening we have a beer/meal to attend as part of the Team Build.

But what is smart casual these days?? i went to a work function about 3 weeks ago again smart casual, i wore a shirt, v jumper some casual gap trousers, but everyone else around me was in hoodies and jeans, and some in suits etc..

Why can't it be simple!! smart or casual!

enduro-aid
    Free Member

IMO its jeans shirt and shoes…………casual is jeans, t-shirt and trainers………smart is shirt, tie, trousers and shoes

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

yeah, jeans (or similar), polo shirt and shoes

speaker2animals

Yeah pretty much smart cas (IMHO) would be shoes (not sport wear), clean neat jeans/chinos, none or minimum logo T-shirt, polo shirt, shirt. Jkt of many styles. For me not hoody though a neat clean denim jkt would be ok. (could just be a cultural/age thing).

igm

Baggies not lycra

awh
    Free Member

I can't stop myself thinking about Alan Partridge's sports causal tie and blazer set whenever smart casual is mentioned! At least that's defined!

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Jeans and shoes!!!! NOOO!!! Are you Jeremy Clarkson? Also, shirts and jeans!! NOOO!! shirts go with trousers (tucked in) and jeans go with trainers or boots.

How can pubs/clubs think that an un-tucked shirt, jeans and shoes is smart? Looks like you picked 3 random items from a wardrobe and put them on whilst running out the door.

Mind you, i look a right state most of the time so who am i to talk 😛

May i suggest a mankini for this special occasion.

theotherjonv

ever since my work went to smart casual or business casual I've hated the term. Everyone wears faceless chinos and polo shirts or slightly more formal but open necked shirts, and I hate it.

So I wear a suit every day now.

Very difficult to not look and feel good in a half decent suit, imho.

edhornby

you can wear jeans and shoes as long as the shoes aren't too formal (not black) and the jeans aren't too slouchy…

polo shirts are the devils jizzrag

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Rusty trowel is right in one way – but not in another.

Smart casual is Clarkson style. Its an abomination.

However no one should ever go out in Clarkson "smart casual" Its only for the sad dad or drunk uncle

If you have jeans – it should be trainers or boots and a t shirt or polo shirt if you must. If you wear a dress shirt you should have a tie. If you want to wear real shoes then you must have pressed trousers.

I would either wear t shirt, jeans or chinos and trainers / deck shoes jumper or sports jacket t shirt dress trousers polished shoes.

Jeans / untucked dress shirt / polished shoes / jacket should be grounds for getting the AK47 out

brakes
    Free Member

we went from 'business smart' to 'business casual' a couple of years ago
    the men just took their ties off
    the women wore whatever they liked, as usual

my personal contribution was to only shave every other day

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

CHINOS, DECK SHOES, SPORTS JACKET. Fortunately these items have yet to appear in my wardrobe. I'm 40 soon, are these what i need to grow old gracefully?

GrahamS

[quoTe]NOOO!! shirts go with trousers (tucked in)[/quote]

Doesn't it depend on the cut of the shirt? Shirts with rounded or penguin tails should be tucked in; shirts with straght hems are made to be worn untucked.

john_drummer
    Free Member

brakes, that sounds very familiar…

jeans aren't smart, so "smart casual" does not include jeans. Sorry Clarkson

CHINOS, DECK SHOES, SPORTS JACKET. Fortunately these items have yet to appear in my wardrobe. I'm 40 soon, are these what i need to grow old gracefully?

I'm 45 next birthday; if that's what it takes to grow old gracefully, I think I'll do it disgracefully thanks

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I was trying to be kind to the simple or the clarksonesque. Chinos are a compromise for those who still wear jeans despite being over 25. Do you not have a tailored jacket that is not part of a suit? Not even a tweed?

Tonight I went to the pub. Pressed black trousers. Polished black shoes. Black t shirt. maroon cashmere jumper. Grey cashmere full lenght coat. It wasn't raining so I did not wear a hat.

GrahamS

(incidentally I wear shiny shoes, smart black jeans and a corporate short sleeve shirt (tucked) or polo shirt (untucked) to work every day 🙂 Our Christmas party is supposed to be Smart Casual, but I'll be wearing a kilt and shirt, as will many others.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

"NOOO!! shirts go with trousers (tucked in)"

Doesn't it depend on the cut of the shirt? Shirts with rounded or penguin tails should be tucked in; shirts with straght hems are made to be worn untucked.

Nope – no shirt with a collar should ever be worn without a tie or untucked – unless its a polo shirt

FFS man – do you want to look like clarkson?

GrahamS

Tonight I went to the pub. Pressed black trousers. Polished black shoes. Black t shirt.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

………….. smart black jeans

No such thing – jeans are blue. some other sort of trousers you are wearing

Jeezo – where is Captain Flasheart when you need him?

cinnamon_girl

Gotta agree with TJ there.

A shirt without a tie is just not right!

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Graham – yeah, can be untucked if it's the right shirt. When i got married i was untucked and non-tied under a vintage suit and it sort of looked ok.

I know nothing anyway, and look like an old tramp at present as anyone on here who knows me will confirm.

GrahamS

no shirt with a collar should ever be worn without a tie

I only wear a tie at interviews, funerals and court appearances.

theotherjonv

Do you not have a tailored jacket that is not part of a suit? Not even a tweed?

No, but then again I'm not my Dad.

Anyway, I seem to remember a picture of you soloing at SiTS a couple of years back in a tweed jacket and shorts, iirc? If someone can find that I'm pretty sure we can consign your fasion advice promptly to the appropriate receptacle.

cinnamon_girl

Awaits ridicule … I like to see a man in a suit but he has to be of the right proportions and a proper fitting suit. Cufflinks are cool!

GrahamS

No such thing – jeans are blue.

"blue jeans" are blue, jeans are just "pants, or trousers, made from denim." Wikipedia says so.

theotherjonv

and on the shirt subject – if you do wear a tie it must be done up, top button as well. Otherwise you look like an oaf.

[Unless you are Petesgaff of course. I noted his undone top button in his wedding photos but he is clearly the coolest bloke on the planet right now]

cinnamon_girl

Actually the one thing I really detest is blokes with a huge stomach that hangs over their trousers. Keep your jacket on for goodness sake and spare us!

john_drummer
    Free Member

proper suit looks good. but we're not talking about suits here…

No such thing – jeans are blue not necessarily. Mr Wrangler (and so doe Mr Lee Cooper, and others) makes 'jeans' in black canvas. The seams are on the outside, so that makes them jeans. So they're not made of denim, so what?

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

I wear a tie most days at work (bizzarely with steel toe caps and a workshop/lab coat), so would only wear one elsewhere if i had to (wedding, funeral, interview).

Do i own a tweed jacket – hhmmm, no.

C_G dress up meal after next get-together?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yer a bunch of ignorant slobs. Jeans must be blue, Denim only come sin blue formal shirts can only be worn with a tie.

theotherjonv – Member

Anyway, I seem to remember a picture of you soloing at SiTS a couple of years back in a tweed jacket and shorts,

Who me? I even had a panama hat IIRC and a Daliesque moustache.

Free Member

^^ what he said!

Formal shirt tucked in all the way, untucked and you look like a teenager or a slob.

Shoes & Jeans = Clarkson/Range Rover drive with pink polo shirt with the collar up and raybans on top of your head 😉

I have absolutely no sense with fashion or style btw.

jt

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Go on – have a laugh at my expense. Hopefully this will work – I have had a few beers

Semi formal

There may have been some beers drunk – but smart casual ( Miami vice stylee)

I am nearly 50 now. Both pics pressed trousers and polished shoes. The dodgy beard has gone

john_drummer
    Free Member

t-shirt & smart jacket?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yup – smart casual. I don't want to wear a tie – so no shirt with a collar

I am Don Johnson is disguise ( or stuck in the eighties – take yer pick)

GrahamS

Formal shirt tucked in all the way, untucked and you look like a teenager or a slob.

yes an untucked formal shirt (which has a long tail or split tail) will make you look like an errant school boy.

But a casual shirt (which has a straight tail) should be untucked, otherwise you look like the kind of fashion retard that compulsively tucks in t-shirts, or worse, sweaters.

spacemonkey

Depends on your employer's "culture."

IMO best to be on the smarter side of casual, e.g. shoes, smart/dark jeans, shirt, etc. Then again, we have techies who would appear in abstract t-shirts and chinos, and senior managers who's choose trainers, suit trousers, and a white shirt.

Whatever you choose, be yourself and be comfortable.

GrahamS

TJ: did you roll your suit sleeves up to complete the look?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Have been known to – not roll them up but push then above the elbow 🙂 Rolling sleeves is for wannabees. Style is just to push then up

Got a taupe linen suit and panama hat for barbecues / summer outdoor wear as well.

john_drummer
    Free Member

when in a hole, stop digging…

mind you, WTF do I know? I was a goth in the 80s

chewkw
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘WTF is classed as smart casual?!’ is closed to new replies.