Viewing 17 posts - 201 through 217 (of 217 total)
  • WTAF! US / guns
  • Cougar

I guess its progress from “thoughts and prayers”.

convert

Guardian Linky to latest American mass shooting

The term “Shot to death” used a few times in there instead of the usual “shot dead”- new one on me. Is is meant to be more impactful?

Gun ownership reasons are varied but ‘to protect me and my family’ and ‘I love guns me’ seem to be the two largest reasons. Sometimes those who declare ‘protect’ are really just giving an excuse for their ‘I love guns’ predilections. It’s interesting that the hero of that article was ex forces and police but still describes himself as a ‘gun lover’. It’s my experience that having used one professionally (especially if that involved discharging it at another human) rather blunts the ‘love’ in most people. ‘Respect’ maybe – but love….Anyone who has used one successfully for their ultimate purpose and still has a ‘love’ probably should not be allowed to use one again. I certainly have no plans to handle a gun again.

MoreCashThanDash

In first aid training I have seen genuine footage of plain clothed American cops using tourniquets, which they had been wearing round their ankles, as they frantically tried to stop catastrophic bleeding in someone that they had just shot.

Armed officers in the UK carry the same sort of kit, though maybe not on their ankles.

razorrazoo

Mr Self is an example of one of those people you’d expect to use their ‘god’ based bullet shield right up to the point someone has a gun in their face and they start to cry and beg and insist they will pay the wielded large amounts of cash.

kimbers

I see Musk is trying his best to throw mud on the idea that a neo-nazi might have done something bad …..

funkmasterp

Keith Self is an absolute dickhead.

franksinatra

In first aid training I have seen genuine footage of plain clothed American cops using tourniquets, which they had been wearing round their ankles, as they frantically tried to stop catastrophic bleeding in someone that they had just shot.

In most of the videos I have seen the cops just scream conflicting orders at the shot person before handcuffing them. Never any sort of rush to administer first aid.

ernielynch

It was actually in a London Ambulance Service first aid training course that I saw the footage of America cops trying to save the life of someone that they had just shot.

Not a Hollywood film! 😉

It’s my experience that having used one professionally (especially if that involved discharging it at another human) rather blunts the ‘love’ in most people. ‘Respect’ maybe – but love….Anyone who has used one successfully for their ultimate purpose and still has a ‘love’ probably should not be allowed to use one again.

Agreed. It’s a tool, it requires skill to wield and apply it effectively, it should utterly be respected as it can all go sideways in an instant.

I’ll die a happy man if I never have to handle one again.

jamiemcf

Not directly related but this short from more or less touches on guns in the wider discussion about the average life expectancy decline if good old U.S.A.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0fldqhb?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile

dissonance

Keith Self is an absolute dickhead.

Shame someone didnt ask him his position on Epicurus’ trilemma.
    Seems particular apt when talking about a random shooting event.

vlad_the_invader

So….

The coward who failed to stop the Parkland school shooter killing 17 people has been found “not guilty” of child neglect and negligence.

Sorta blows a hole in the NRAs argument that guns prevent killing. What’s their next tactic?

dissonance

The coward who failed to stop the Parkland school shooter

I am not sure its really cowardly not to go one on one when you are outgunned and lack any protective gear. Probably more average.

Sorta blows a hole in the NRAs argument that guns prevent killing. What’s their next tactic?

I think you are overestimating their flexibility here. The answer is always more and bigger guns.
    Plus maybe some training and more guards. If every school has a swat team you dont have to worry about the single officer freezing.

franksinatra

Too easy to answer that!

Better / bigger / heavier more secure doors at schools
    Bigger guns for school security guards / police
    More security guards and police (with more guns obvs)
    Guns for teachers
    More guns
    Guns

mashr

For goodness sake franksinatra, won’t you think of the children. . . and give them guns!

RustyNissanPrairie

Bulletproof vests for the kids.
    Guns for the kids so they can shoot the shooter.
    Double Uzi’s for the teachers

Sorted! (apart from my 3minute late reply!)

Macgyver

And another example of the recklessness of those with guns.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/passenger-shot-killed-uber-driver-believed-was-taking-mexico-police-sa-rcna90901

Just plain bonkers but unfortunately incidents such as these are all too common.  But as a single victim, probably doesn’t get much column inches outside of local news. That said, in 2 years of living in Texas, the only non cop I’ve seen carrying is a cousin who is ex cop so at least has some training.

Viewing 17 posts - 201 through 217 (of 217 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.