Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • “Wow” factor MTB components
  • longmover
    Free Member

Premier Icon
    seb84

How do the chromag daggas ride?

Posted 8 hours ago

Really well, loads of support. They are wide though.

greeny30
    Free Member

No wow factor on the stage 6, apart from wow that’s a terrible chainstay protector 😁

onewheelgood

My Gradient has two of these on it. It’s another thing that doesn’t do anything particularly better than one costing 1/3 of the price. But if you have a beautiful titanium bike, would you really put a plastic bottle cage on it in preference to a handmade titanium cage?

<Edit> took a while to find a link to an image that was Https – it appears that http is no longer acceptable. </Edit>

mutepoint
    Free Member

I totally agree with Tom H’s last two posts.

Though I kinda get what Poah is getting at.

We don’t all pay rrp remember 😜

mashr

The cable routing on that Stage 6 can’t be right……. can it??

I always remember the “wow” factor of Monster Ts when they first came out. Possibly for different reasons than being discussed here though

solarider
    Free Member

Poah – let’s talk about 3 principles:

1) The emotional element of the ‘wow’ factor.

2) The principle of diminishing returns.

3) The principle of marginal gains.

You cannot rationalise the wow factor. For me as I said it has an element of hand made being part of it. It is also about something being relatively rare.

Both EE Wings and Trickstuff perform better than SLX objectively. Both are stronger, stiffer, lighter and made to much tighter tolerances. That is indisputable. Not until you live with these products do you truly appreciate just how amazing they are. Your point really relates to my second point of diminishing returns. Is the price per frame saving ‘worth it’? Are they 10 times ‘better’? Well, that’s where your own personal means and value judgement come in. If both were the same price as SLX, And you could get lighter, stronger, better made products for the same price which would you choose?

It is true that the principles of diminishing returns and marginal gains apply. But the thread is about the ‘wow’ factor, not the ‘rational’ factor. I did mention how amazing SLX is for the money these days compared to early components, but you couldn’t reAlly describe it as lustworthy or having the wow factor. How many of us as little boys has a picture of an Austin Allegro on their walls because rationally it performed the exact same task as a Lamborghini Countach?

Affordability is a big factor. Strong, Light, Cheap and all that.

In answer to your questions about why both products have the wow factor:

1) Materials. Better quality materials = lighter, stronger, longer lasting, better finished.

2) Manufacturing tolerances. Hand made products can be made to tighter tolerances = more reliable performance, lighter weight, greater efficiency.

3) Exclusivity contributes to the ‘wow’ factor. That’s a totally emotional response.

SLX is good stuff. Perfectly functional, reliable, readily available and good value. Nobody is arguing that. For me, it just doesn’t have the ‘wow’ factor.

solarider
    Free Member

And yes, my response is full of grammatical errors! Bleedin’ phone ran out of battery before I could edit! If only Trickstuff made phone batteries!!!!!

mashr

2) Manufacturing tolerances. Hand made products can be made to tighter tolerances = more reliable performance, lighter weight, greater efficiency.

Are you really sure that the human hand is capable of more accurate work than a machine? Most humans struggle with microns

pop-larkin
    Free Member

solarider- what if the allegro was a vanden plas model?

Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘“Wow” factor MTB components’ is closed to new replies.