Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • “Wow” factor MTB components
  • monkeyboyjc

I’m lucky to have had many high end end components over the last 20 or so years…. But not many modern components have make me go WoW out of the box.

Just had a Garbaruk 12sp cassette delivered, and it’s a thing of beauty…..

What components have given you that WoW feeling….?

joebristol

Not many tbh. But my new silver Pike Ultimates are as close to wow as possible when I opened the box. Hoping my new Marino will be similar when it finally arrives and I get it back from painting!

NormalMan

The cantilever brakes on my current MTB make me go wow 😯

Usually wow I can’t believe I eventually / actually stopped.

Not sure that was what you thinking of though 😉

hairyscary

I’m expecting a Gabaruk cassette in the next few days. I hope it is nice, I’ve waited long enough for it.

orangespyderman

My Cane Creek shock and fork are quite lovely.

kayak23

I was blown away by my Sunrace cassette to be honest. Beautiful machining and the contrast of the red spider and black chainrings is a thing of beauty.

Obviously now it’s covered in oily shit and has countless grass stems wrapped around and between the plates… 😂

P-Jay
    Free Member

Not much, I’ve become too cynical towards MTB bling, too much of it ended up being fragile junk back when I was a childless man about town without kids sucking my bank account dry.

These days I’ve tapped into that seam of bit boring to look at, but work great stuff that keeps you riding month after month.

Paul-B

My Nicolai frame. Bought it second hand off this very forum a couple of years back now but I just love to look at it even now, so many details.

lawman91

Cane creek cranks made me go wow when I saw them in work, otherwise not much these days! Actually thinking about it when I took my Mk5 Soul (mercury colour) out of the box I was pretty impressed! Chromag make some lovely stems and pedals and the new Transition bikes are stunning, but generally speaking I don’t get that crazy wow feeling on much kit these days. Maybe working in the industry numbs me to an extent? Who knows but I think I find I appreciate well thought out engineering more than simple looks.

seb84

My time speciale 12 pedals felt pretty wow. Looked amazing felt super light and the maintance section of the manual said “no maintenance is necessary”

edd
    twistedpencil

Will second a Nicolai frame, they are works of genius, I still find bits on the frame where I think, that’s well thought out, even now after seven years.

Also my Bike Yoke Revive dropper, it just works so well after battling with reverbs for years.

singlespeedstu

My EXT shock that came with a Geometron is indeed a thing of beauty with the performance to match.
    Makes other shock out there look like they’ve been banged out ten to the dozen.
    EXT Racing Shock.

Would love a pair of these to go on it but sadly my pockets aren’t deep enough for them.

monkeyboyjc

My Nicolai frame.

I’ve had a yearning for a Nicolai since the late 90’s…. Would absolutely love an argon fat pinion….

DezB
    Free Member

Dunno about the components, but was tidying the garage and found the box my XTR pedals came in. That is a nicely made thing! Considered putting it on eBay, fetch a few quid 🙂

Kryton57

I think my Exposure Toro is the blingiest thing I have…

Superficial
    Free Member

The inside of a Charger damper cartridge is intricate and beautifully machined. Yet no-one ever sees it (insert **** simile of choice here).

EDIT: I didn’t even think it was a swear. You can substitute ‘pretentious’.

tomhoward

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gcUmu6]Ermagerrrrd[/url] by tom.howard.562, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gcU99s]Ermagerrrrd[/url] by tom.howard.562, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gcUyph]Ermagerrrrd[/url] by tom.howard.562, on Flickr

Happily the WOW! continues when on the bike too 🙂

Hope to have something else to add to this thread tomorrow 🙂

Fat-boy-fat

Chris King anything. Never managed to quite convince myself to buy hubs from them but the smooth running of their headsets and bottom brackets are lovely.

On a more blingy note, the latest ergon factory grips with the petrol paint job are very chi chi. I smile self consciously every time I get on the bike that has them.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I can’t say much does it for me really, I buy nice high end bits that are workmanlike rather than bling because I know what works after riding for so long. These days a lot of the components that make people go wow seem to just be disgusting anodized stuff which they then throw together into a monstrosity like this-

TiRed

Anything with a gearbox does it for me.

sharkattack

For stuff I own, just my frame. Also a Nicolai (Geometron G16).

When I pulled it out of the box it spent the rest of the day being poked and fondled and having the welds rubbed by all my colleagues.

For stuff I don’t own… just those Trickstuff brakes and E-wing cranks.

I also learned years ago that most bling is fragile and useless and ends up in the parts bin.

tomhoward

The Intend USD forks and shock look very lovely, but I can’t bring myself to buy them as I can’t find anything that says they’re any better/offer more than other stuff that’s loads cheaper.

Gearbox lovers, watch this space 😉

JonEdwards
    Free Member

As other have said – EE Wings cranks.

My purple Burgtec MkVs were glorious when I took them out the box. The quality of the ano is SO much better than Hope. Sadly they look rather less special now they’ve been bounced off some rocks.

The copper coloured SRAM Eagle chain and cassette look very nice in their packaging, but just look rusty once they’re assembled into a complete bike.

sam_underhill

XTR packaging always used to make me think wow. Nowadays I’d think that it’s a huge waste for something that’s going to be thrown away.

gkeeffe

Santa Cruz chameleon carbon frame – that metallic bronze is beautiful!

SirHC

A few:

Reset Racing, Headsets and bottom brackets, well engineered components, proper sealing and superbly made.

Nicolai, as other have said, simply amazing engineering, how it should be.

EXT, their mantra of cost is not considered, performance is king. The storia is such a good shock.

LAT

chromag pedals and stems look lovely when i see them in the bike shop cabinet, but i really enjoy the look of newly fitted tyre with its keen edged knobs.

edit – i’m also enjoying looking at all the lovely parts posted above.

edit edit – i still like looking at silver thomson stems. especially the elite with the wedge removed.

as much as i love the welding on nicolai frames, i’d like to see one with filed and polished seams.

mattbee

My Newmen Evolution stem made me go ‘<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>wow’ when I got it.
    74g list weight, actually 72g on my scales.
    The packaging was heavier!
    It’s not flexy, hasn’t broken and looks nicely understated. </span>

nuke

Probably be the bits you dont get to see normally like the internals of a Pinion gearbox…

Gotama
    Free Member

Nicolai frame was still the nicest bit of kit I’ve owned. And the best thing about the raw finish was that you can give it zero love through winter muck and a few mins with the supplied Brillo pad and it comes up like new. No use for a G1 now, keep looking at the Saturn though.

moonsaballoon

I get a ridiculous amount of pleasure every time i use my one up EDC .

MrPottatoHead

Cane Creek eeWings Ti

Shiny

ajantom

Treated myself to a full set of Pauls Klampers and Love Levers for my Stooge.

Lovely kit, so nicely made, and they stop you very well too 😎

poah
    Free Member

nothing that I can think of – plenty of things that make me think that looks crap like those ee-wing cranks. They look shit

Kryton57

I get a ridiculous amount of pleasure every time i use my one up EDC

ive just experienced the same taking my Clockwork Evo for a night ride with my first experience of Exposure lights.  The Clockwork never fails to impress me, but the Toro/joystick combo was awesome, especially the Toro’s Reflex in action.

Northwind

My ancient XTR cranks. Because they were ridiculously desirable when they were first launched, and now they’ve been battered senseless for over a decade, so they look haggard and all the logos are gone and they’re dented and faded. Posh stuff used right.

Also, 4.8 minions, even hardened mountain bikers soemtimes go wow when they realise how enduro your fatbike is, and kids definitely go wow.

Onzadog
    Free Member

There is something about a classic Chris King headset.
    The Trick stuff levers look amazing but seem to contrast the calipers.
    Didn’t someone 3d print some titanium calipers? They looked pretty wow!

tomhoward

Didn’t someone 3d print some titanium calipers?

Yeah, but the Kickstarter didn’t get funded, and they had no levers to go with them (though they do now have some renderings.)

Radic performance was their name. Personally I still think they’re a fair way from production.

Northwind

You can 3d print just about anything in titanium if you have deep pockets, it’s just that it’s not often that good an idea. Those brake calipers didn’t really benefit from being titanium, forged or even just machined aluminium is an absolutely superb material for calipers. It’s really useful for tiny product runs mind, which suits companies that are selling stuff purely on boutiqueyness and exotictude.

(it’s kind of like CNCing stuff from billet- it’s actually a pretty poor way of making a lot ofthings, but it looks nice and there are cool machines involved, so it weirdly became a selling point. While forging stuff still gets dismissed as “stamping stuff out” even though it’s often better. So when Hope finally upgraded their production to using forgings for a lot of parts, they still said it was cnc’d from billet and designed the new brakes to have fully machined outer surfaces because they’d spent so long convincing their custoemrs that was the best way to do it, and had to design their forgings to be less good than they could have been so they had extra space for machining. Marketing-led manufacturing is weird)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘“Wow” factor MTB components’ is closed to new replies.